ALNO Gone in to Administration

Grosey

Welcome to Buildhub. Really sorry to hear that.

Re: credit cards, as I understand it only a portion (but > £100) of the payment needs to be on the card to get full protection. For example, put £200 on credit card and the rest in cash.

Also, do start a thread about your search for a manufacturer. @ryder72 is very knowledgeable about the kitchen landscape in the UK and may be able to provide feedback on where you're headed.

One other thing: I was told, and it's been my experience, that good fitting makes all the difference. Whatever you do, make sure that the people fitting the kitchen will do a superb job, and that will help tremendously.

Sorry your arrival here is under such painful circumstances. Hopefully it'll all work out for you in the end.

That's absolutely rotten. It might not necessarily make a huge difference, but worth contacting your MP to see if they can do anything when it comes to paying creditors even if just raise the profile of your case with 'someone'?

We bought from Wren - I'd highly recommend - and ended up taking their finance deal which is interest free until next year - suited us as it keeps this years cash for other things. I quizzed them a lot on it - aside from deposit (Which we put on credit card), the finance doesn't kick in until the kitchen is delivered and we've signed to say we were happy. It worked like clockwork (as did everything with Wren tbh), and two days after taking delivery, we got a note through from the finance company that the finance had started. We ordered in March and finance didn't start until mid-May. Hope that maybe helps in terms of a possible option?

For any other future self builders, it's something worth starting well in advance of anything - build up a portfolio of credit cards and get decent credit limits on them - can prove very useful. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

That's absolutely rotten. It might not necessarily make a huge difference, but worth contacting your MP to see if they can do anything when it comes to paying creditors even if just raise the profile of your case with 'someone'?

We bought from Wren - I'd highly recommend - and ended up taking their finance deal which is interest free until next year - suited us as it keeps this years cash for other things. I quizzed them a lot on it - aside from deposit (Which we put on credit card), the finance doesn't kick in until the kitchen is delivered and we've signed to say we were happy. It worked like clockwork (as did everything with Wren tbh), and two days after taking delivery, we got a note through from the finance company that the finance had started. We ordered in March and finance didn't start until mid-May. Hope that maybe helps in terms of a possible option?

For any other future self builders, it's something worth starting well in advance of anything - build up a portfolio of credit cards and get decent credit limits on them - can prove very useful.

Many thanks for replies. Yes the word 'Hindsight' always comes to mind. The finance option sounds promising for a more secure route to achieving the kitchen supply plus a portfolio of credit cards is sound advice.

Had looked at Wren prior but opted for a Wellmann (which is part of Alno Germany and supply in-toto) but will look again and keep options open. Our difficulty now is that our kitchen was due and all fixtures and fittings installed (drainage, carrier systems etc.) so we have quite a task now to achieve the same and keep my build to schedule. 

Again thanks for comments appreciated.

Welcome. Sorry to hear what you are going through. Finances aside, take your time in getting a replacement kitchen sorted out.  A little slippage in the schedule may not be wanted, but a small cost to pay to get a replacement that meets your needs, rather than one which will just do.

47 minutes ago, Stones said:

Welcome. Sorry to hear what you are going through. Finances aside, take your time in getting a replacement kitchen sorted out.  A little slippage in the schedule may not be wanted, but a small cost to pay to get a replacement that meets your needs, rather than one which will just do.

Yes agreed but builders are busy and any pause and we lose them for long periods.

I don't think the wife will allow one which will just do !!! So have my work cut out !!

1 hour ago, Chalks said:

Well we are one of the unlucky customers who it would seem have lost everything. No Kitchen & No Deposit back as this was transferred to Alno U.K. and not done via credit card. We didn't have a £10,000 limit on a card !!

I understand a few in-toto studio franchise owners are helping clients and maybe switching to new suppliers but ours in Oadby, Leicester simply shut shop, no notification, no email or phone call to explain, Nothing !

I have contacted the Administrators and as usual nothing back from them !! Have been here before so we are expecting nothing!! Alno Germany are in the toilet and  Alno UK have ceased (which is in-toto HQ in Leeds) so good luck to those customers who are getting some help from other studio outlets but overall the whole of in-toto is finished.

We will have to source an alternative but I will stick to a UK manufacturer as there are so many German Kitchen companies going to the wall at the moment. (Plus it will have to be slightly less in quality as we simply don't have the budget anymore!!).

Now looking for a high limit credit card as we will only put deposits down with that source of payment. We have learnt a very expensive lesson and to be quite honest have lost faith in self build suppliers. 

We do hope others get help as this has knocked us for six !!!!!

So sorry to hear about this mate. Always put atleast £100 on a card and you are protected. If you have paid by debit card, you may still have some recourse. Check with your bank.

As I understand it, you can notify the insolvency practitioners of your purchase. There should be signage on their doors with information. If you cant find it, I will get it off the local Intoto studio and send it to you. PM me. You will become a creditor to the company but what you may some of your money back but this could take months or even years.

The German kitchen industry suffers from overcapacity and the writing has been on the wall for Alno for some years. Dont shy away from German kitchens. There are still a lot of very very solid companies out there.

If you need more info PM me.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

So sorry to hear about this mate. Always put atleast £100 on a card and you are protected. If you have paid by debit card, you may still have some recourse. Check with your bank.

As I understand it, you can notify the insolvency practitioners of your purchase. There should be signage on their doors with information. If you cant find it, I will get it off the local Intoto studio and send it to you. PM me. You will become a creditor to the company but what you may some of your money back but this could take months or even years.

The German kitchen industry suffers from overcapacity and the writing has been on the wall for Alno for some years. Dont shy away from German kitchens. There are still a lot of very very solid companies out there.

If you need more info PM me.

No it was all done on transfer which I know is stupid but was only option at that specific time. Either way lesson learnt but not much help now. Already have registered with administrator etc. but have been in business a long time and have dealt with these in past so I know where we stand (basically zip!!).

We chased the insurance details from in-toto as the deposit was supposed to be Guaranteed but received again zip and Administrators are usual practice where we are just a statistic on a balance sheet and will not reply to any q's. The only time we can talk to them is at creditors meeting but this may take years. It usually does!!

I know a fair bit about the German Kitchen Industry as I have a home there (live and work there as well as UK). Strangely we have a kitchen ordered there which so far is all ok, it's a Nobilia kitchen (fingers crossed). Yes you are correct in there being over capacity and I know of about a dozen companies going down the toilet. 

Will PM you when get chance later as flat out at mo.

On 10/3/2017 at 12:01, Chalks said:

No it was all done on transfer which I know is stupid but was only option at that specific time. Either way lesson learnt but not much help now. Already have registered with administrator etc. but have been in business a long time and have dealt with these in past so I know where we stand (basically zip!!).

We chased the insurance details from in-toto as the deposit was supposed to be Guaranteed but received again zip and Administrators are usual practice where we are just a statistic on a balance sheet and will not reply to any q's. The only time we can talk to them is at creditors meeting but this may take years. It usually does!!

I know a fair bit about the German Kitchen Industry as I have a home there (live and work there as well as UK). Strangely we have a kitchen ordered there which so far is all ok, it's a Nobilia kitchen (fingers crossed). Yes you are correct in there being over capacity and I know of about a dozen companies going down the toilet. 

Will PM you when get chance later as flat out at mo.

If you could PM me your details, I will look into the warranty for you. I know someone in KBSA through whom the warranty is set up. He might be able to help.

• Thanks 1

@Chalks Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your news but if it was my post showing up in a google search that allowed you to find this forum (and the fantastic resources and support that are available here) then at least something positive has come out of this. 

Its a a shame your intoto branch has completely closed its doors, very different to what I am seeing with my branch. I was told the Exeter and Bristol franchises were the 2 most successful, so I guess it depends on how the individual businesses were performing with regard to how capable they are of riding this turbulent time out.

Its probably not right that I give too many more details regarding my specific situation and store given that this post is clearly being located from outside of the forum now. 

Having said that I will say close up my initial story by saying that Exeter have been fantastic, have sourced me an alternative kitchen I am happy with which will be delivered in a couple of weeks, along with some significant good will gestures which we really do appreciate.  Not meaning to rub salt to Chalks situation, just finishing what I started with the post. 

More than happy for this post to become about everyone helping Chalks or anyone else struggling with the ALNO situation now. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2017 at 10:16, jamiehamy said:

We bought from Wren - I'd highly recommend -

+1 In my case their design was not the best but everything turned when they said it would. It's not the very best of quality but well built and strong.

On 10/3/2017 at 20:29, Grosey said:

@Chalks Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your news but if it was my post showing up in a google search that allowed you to find this forum (and the fantastic resources and support that are available here) then at least something positive has come out of this. 

Its a a shame your intoto branch has completely closed its doors, very different to what I am seeing with my branch. I was told the Exeter and Bristol franchises were the 2 most successful, so I guess it depends on how the individual businesses were performing with regard to how capable they are of riding this turbulent time out.

Its probably not right that I give too many more details regarding my specific situation and store given that this post is clearly being located from outside of the forum now. 

Having said that I will say close up my initial story by saying that Exeter have been fantastic, have sourced me an alternative kitchen I am happy with which will be delivered in a couple of weeks, along with some significant good will gestures which we really do appreciate.  Not meaning to rub salt to Chalks situation, just finishing what I started with the post. 

More than happy for this post to become about everyone helping Chalks or anyone else struggling with the ALNO situation now. 

Yes sorry to hijack your post wasn't my intention just venting and also getting info out there for others.

On 10/3/2017 at 15:13, ryder72 said:

If you could PM me your details, I will look into the warranty for you. I know someone in KBSA through whom the warranty is set up. He might be able to help.

Will still get to you soon as my weird hours stop. Many thanks.

On 03/10/2017 at 10:16, jamiehamy said:

Alno news !!!!

There has been some development on the in-toto group in that a new company has been formed and will be taking over the studio's which they ran. Obviously a new different Kitchen range but it seems like they are willing to work with existing clients who placed orders and deposits for kitchens not yet delivered. Information is a bit sketchy at the moment but sounds promising ....

I did hear that the franchises were looking to buy out the business or maybe just the name. So looks like this could be a step in that direction. 

@Chalks it may be worth speaking to other intoto branches close to you to see if they’d be willing to help?

• 2 weeks later...

Found this thread on a google search - very useful.

We placed a deposit for an Alno kitchen in December (fortunately paid the deposit with credit card). We were asked for the pre delivery balance on the 20th July and were told there were going to be delays to the delivery a week later and we now find ourselves missing one oven and one cupboard (think we have been more fortunate than some).

Our franchisee tells us that he is trying to help us but is having problems sourcing the oven (apparently Siemens are selective regarding who they sell the StudioLine products to, so he is having to get some display models in stock before he can give us ours) - hopefully he will have an update next week.

Apparently the cabinet has a lead time of 6-8 weeks. Does anyone know how easy there are to source the same style elsewhere - alnostar smartline 340 oak effect cashmere grey?

I haven't yet contacted the credit card issuer to issue re section 75 as I'm not sure what actions they will take with the franchisee - any views on whether I should wait a few weeks to see if any progress is made or crack on with speaking to credit card company?

Section 75 has no limit - don’t worry ..!

@ryder72 may be able to direct you in the direction of a replacement door supplier. Other option is you contact another Alno distributor and see if they have any as showroom units as they are pretty much worthless now. 

I think your supplier may be right about the Siemens Studioline oven but I would be a bit less optimistic about the time it will take him to get one. Fundamentally BSH group used to supply product to the franchisees through Alno UK which is no longer trading. Consequently your franchisee may have to get his own account with BSH and this is a slow process. 

Your bigger problem is the missing doors. It may be nigh on impossible for your supplier to source this. The German industry is very different to the British one where British manufacturers all work on a 720mm carcase system with every kitchen, almost without exception made up of standardised front sizes. While on one hand this means they are easy to source, on the other hand, there is no flexibility.

Alno would have had its own sizing on the doors and a door manufacturer somewhere would have specifically made doors for Alno. The material may be easier to track down but getting the same door size not quite so easy. I have seen the door you have had and unfortunately its not something I can help you with - we dont have anything like that in our range. Your best bet is to track another German supplier and see if they have the same front in their range. 

You can certainly try your card supplier for Section 75 but given that the cost of the door may be a few hundred pounds in a kitchen worth 20 or 30k, it may be difficult to make much headway.

Good luck nevertheless

This is such an informative thread - i’ve been looking everywhere for someone in a similar boat to me. I ordered my kitchen from my local Intoto branch in July, paid a total of £8500 in deposits (initial commitment fee, 20% deposit and payment for appliances off spec). Then we were told Alno had gone into administration- so frustrated with myself that I didn’t do a bit of homework before handing over the money; a bit of googling would have shown me Alno were having problems. Paid 2 deposits on cards and 1 by cheque. Think I may be able to get back the card payments but the cheque is proving tricky as it was to a subsidiary company of Alno and the Administrator has listed this company as now having been sold and any redress is with that company and not Alno UK. Does anyone know if that is correct? When I made this payment it was then an Alno UK company, but since then the Administrator has arranged the sale (although it’s still showing on Companies House as being an Alno company).

An alternative is to stick with Intoto whilst they secure an investor who will allegedly honour the deposits already paid and Intoto will source an alternative German kitchen of same spec with the investors backing.  Any thoughts please? Would really appreciate the input 

38 minutes ago, woody said:

This is such an informative thread - i’ve been looking everywhere for someone in a similar boat to me. I ordered my kitchen from my local Intoto branch in July, paid a total of £8500 in deposits (initial commitment fee, 20% deposit and payment for appliances off spec). Then we were told Alno had gone into administration- so frustrated with myself that I didn’t do a bit of homework before handing over the money; a bit of googling would have shown me Alno were having problems. Paid 2 deposits on cards and 1 by cheque. Think I may be able to get back the card payments but the cheque is proving tricky as it was to a subsidiary company of Alno and the Administrator has listed this company as now having been sold and any redress is with that company and not Alno UK. Does anyone know if that is correct? When I made this payment it was then an Alno UK company, but since then the Administrator has arranged the sale (although it’s still showing on Companies House as being an Alno company).

An alternative is to stick with Intoto whilst they secure an investor who will allegedly honour the deposits already paid and Intoto will source an alternative German kitchen of same spec with the investors backing.  Any thoughts please? Would really appreciate the input 

As long as you paid at least £100 using a credit card you're fully covered, even the part you paid by cheque.

Have a read here: https://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/

Actually better article here: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-youre-protected-when-you-pay-by-card

Edited by Barney12

16 hours ago, woody said:

A lot depends on who you bought from. If it was a factory owned shop your contract will be with Alno UK possibly through one of its subsidiary companies. If part of Alno UK has been sold that may have been with out without the liabilities so there may be a transfer of liability. Regardsless, you should get full protection under Section 75 of Consumer credit act as long as the purchase was an amount of £100-30000.

If you bought through a franchiseee then your contract is with them and they may not be insolvent but still unable to supply the kitchen. In that case its a bit more complicated as you may not get the kitchen you ordered. Whether you are happy to let them sort out a replacement for you or not is your decision but it is my guess (and inside knowledge) that a number of franchisees arent on the best financial footing at the moment.