Descaler suggestions

I'm just about to do a round of descaling shower heads - as recommended by a 7x year old tenant and it seems to woek.

Currently my only descaler in the house is the expensive one for the coffee machine.

Can anyone suggest a good general purpose descaling fluid, or a la Harris something on ebay for thruppence which has the same active ingredient?

Cheers

F

Medical update: docs are happy with current recovery and (as evidenced by this post) I am getting some energy back. Expectations are that I should be back at more or less normal energy levels by Christmas, which means I will be able to be as large a PITA as previously.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

or a la Harris something on ebay for thruppence

Ha, I use vinegar and find it quite good (and cheap)

59 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Medical update: docs are happy with current recovery and (as evidenced by this post) I am getting some energy back. Expectations are that I should be back at more or less normal energy levels by Christmas, which means I will be able to be as large a PITA as previously.

Glad to hear this 👍

• Like 1

I've had a session using normal descaler. and both shower heads (including the Mira one pointed out by a tenant that had been in situ since I think 1994 which I *did* by a replacement for) are much improved and still suitable for my showers.

I spent the £20 saved on a bottle of gin.

One interesting little recommendation was to go for a smaller head as that would be more likely to keep flow due to the smaller space with the same pressure. Not sure about the scientific logic of that, since imo most more concentrated shower patterns should be advantaged through mass of water and bigger holes therefore greater concentrated force not higher pressure.

So where does one buy a half gallon of vinegar, and do they call it "non-brewed condiment?

I seem to recall that one of my local chipshops - if a bottle of n.b.c. (threatening acronym that)  is purchased from them, offer free refills.

20 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

So where does one buy a half gallon of vinegar, and do they call it "non-brewed condiment?

I seem to recall that one of my local chipshops - if a bottle of n.b.c. (threatening acronym that)  is purchased from them, offer free refills.

If you know anyone in the catering trade, the likes of Booker and other food wholesalers sell things like that in bulk.  We used to have a card when we ran the B&B

Chip shop vinegar comes as a concentrate.

12:1.

Think it is made in refineries, rather than artisan brewers.

Crap at descaling, I used some cheap tablets from Pound Stretchers on my mother's kettle. It worked.

Edited by SteamyTea

• 1 month later...