Getting mild shock off washing machine

jfb

I have a washing machine that gave a mild shock recently on the leg when brushing against the main body of the machine (been fine for years).

using a tester it lights up when and only when I point it at the (plastic) control panel (see pic).

I have inspected the plug and it looks fine, the supply tests fine with a plug in tester (only thing it says on it is that it can’t detect earth neutral reverse).

I have used a pat tester and it seems to pass when I connect the testing lead to the screws next to the door latch. But fails on the first test of continuity of earth when touching the main painted section (seems like metal to me whereas the top section with controls is plastic as is the bottom section with drain/filter). Should that not pass since it is painted?

the unit passed a pat test that I had an electrician do in June this year for what that is worth.

any ideas or next steps to isolate the problem?

IMG_2609.jpeg

The light up tester is working correctly near the plastic panel because there are live components behind there. Is the shock from the metal parts or from the door? If it’s the door then mostly likely a static build up as opposed to an electrical problem. If it is the metal parts then possibly an electrical issue and possibly due to a loose or broken earth due to vibration, replace or even add another earth “bond” connecting the offending panel to the other earthed areas/conductor.

Check the socket that is is plugged into.  PAT test will only confirm continuity from earth pin of the WM plug to the WM case.  If the earth is missing from the socket you could get the effect you describe.

Volt sticks have their uses but this is not one of them.

+1 To the no/bad Earth theory. 

Some 45 years ago as a school kid I had a summer job with an electrician. Went to a school where staff were complaining of shocks from metal light switches, a sink etc. Turned out to be a bad Earth near the distribution panel. The Earth wire was acting like a big aerial picking up about 60V from the adjacent live and delivering it to all correctly earthed face plates. 

Check the Earth connection in the socket. If that's OK get an electrician to check the Earth back to the CU or possibly even further. 

• Like 1

My plasterer complained about shocks when working (with wet plaster) in a customers house, I traced the fault to an electric cooker (live earth), I also noticed the RCD had been removed (and left on the shelf) the customer then remembered her electrician had meant to return a few months after but never did. Along side this the hubby lost all his coy carp and was puzzled by their demise. (They were electrocuted) When  I got the electrician there I laid into him big time and told him he nearly killed people and suggested he paid for the customers coy carp. Beggars belief.

• Like 2

Well got the socket tested and earth for the cu and all was well.

ended up buying a new washing machine for tenants’ peace of mind and am keeping the old one as a replacement at some point 

7 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

My old partner, who is no longer around, asked me to 'sort out the satellite dish wires'.

I got a shock off the coax, put a meter on it and it read 80V.

Events over took me, so never got to the bottom of it.

Pretty normal, most tellys etc with a SMPS have the chassis floating at anything up to half line voltage. There's generally capacitors involved for "isolation" but still...