Recommendations for a lock box

Was about to buy this Master Lock lock box from Screwfix which is generally well reviewed, both on screwfix and Amazon, until I saw that one reviewer on screwfix had given it a 1 out 5 score because he was able to pick the lock quite easily.

For a tenner more, Screwfix also sell a “reinforced” version, which has some sort of French certification that it complies with a security standard there, but this still isn’t equivalent to “police approved” over here. The reinforced version also had a couple of shockingly bad reviews, despite most reviews being positive. 

The lock box is going to be well hidden, so I may be overthinking this, as to get to the lockbox, one has to know where to lock AND get past a security gate which either requires knowing the combination for that gate, or climbing over it, but… anyone have any recommendations for better lockboxes that cost less than £40?

Edited by Adsibob

I have the same lockbox in the link, no issues with security, sure there are people that can beat these things and get them open, but are they passing your house and as you say it’s hidden from view.

I sleep well and don’t stress about it

Most thieves will just remove this from the wall with a crow-bar, near silently, and take somewhere to beat the crap out of it to get the key out. Then come back equally silently and use the key, silently.

These are the worst ideas on the planet IMHO, and no way would I be looking for a cheap one IF I had to use one. Put a spare key in the shed, and put a RING / other alarm on the shed so someone locked out can get into the shed (combination lock + alarm code) and retrieve the key?

Key safes are convenient when you want to _provide access_. Their purpose is obvious and they're intuitive to use for the people you want to let in.

But they're also obvious to the people you want to keep out. And they're easy to get into without authorisation  - cheap keysafes are all made of cast zinc so they'll come open after a tap with a big hammer. They're also able to be manipulated open easily with the appropriate tools/experience - to note here, I don't believe any of the fancy certifications that manufacturers promote actually test for manipulation resistance, only against brute force attacks. That's probably because the wrong'uns don't manipulate locks open so there's no sense testing for it.

A good keysafe such as this (now discontinued) model will be more expensive but made out of steel with a more resistant code mechanism.

But if the choice is between hiding the keys under a flowerpot and putting them in a keysafe, even a cheap one will do. At least you can change the code every so often, and it's obvious where the keys are when somebody needs them.

In a low-threat environment (behind a gate in a low-risk area), I wouldn't have any problems putting one in for myself, assuming your insurance lets you have one. In fact, I'd worry more about how it looks for the WAF - most are rather ugly IMO.

One other note - if your security gate has a code lock on it that looks like this then it's not actually much of a security measure, they can be opened with no tools in about the same time it takes to dial the code normally.CL200-x400_pwpx-dz.jpg?c=hmKwZzXVtaAKMxi

Edited by atlantication
fix link

I agree that they can be removed from wall as Nick says and then smashed open but it does depend on it being found first. My mum lives in sheltered housing, you walk down the internal corridor and most flats have one when the occupant ‘moves on’ it’s often smashed off as the code is lost.
If it’s hidden outside then this might be harder than inside a garage as once in a garage they could look longer undisturbed but then they might get side tracked with other goodies. 

it does depend on your location we have so many outbuildings full of rubbish I’m spoilt for choice for locations. 
Have you considered swapping keys with family and/or neighbour’s or agreeing on hiding places at each others homes. 

You can get the data about household crimes by type here:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/datasets/householdcrimeincidencecsewopendatatable

Then decide if you need a more secure system.

Personally just hiding a key is the simple answer.

Superglued behind a drainpipe is going to be pretty hard to find by chance.

12 hours ago, atlantication said:

One other note - if your security gate has a code lock on it that looks like this then it's not actually much of a security measure, they can be opened with no tools in about the same time it takes to dial the code normally.CL200-x400_pwpx-dz.jpg?c=hmKwZzXVtaAKMxi

Oh no, that looks virtually identical to my side gate, save that mine is made by another manufacturer.

we have a series of 3 boxes for emergency access, all hidden. 

The first one gives a hint to the 2nd one etc.  

You need to know us to be able to understand the hints.

The 3rd one with the key requires moving things to find, lots of things.

We are remote and had a shed broken into about 10 years ago, that was done with bolt cutters on the padlock.

Only took the fishing stuff though 🙂

Had done our neighbour earlier and took all his tools, guess they didn't want any more.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

>>> we have a series of 3 boxes for emergency access, all hidden. 

The first one gives a hint to the 2nd one etc.  

You need to know us to be able to understand the hints.

<<<

If it was me, I would forget the answer after box 1.

This approach is good !

The first gives a longitude 

The second gives a latitude 

You then meet him/her/it/they ( hard to be inclusive these days without offending someone ) and then you stab them ( it , him - whatever ) 

Extreme ? maybe ! - or the next Saw script !!! 😎

Edited by Pocster
  • Haha 1

On 04/09/2023 at 10:54, Pocster said:

What I do to prevent people busting open lockboxes is put a tenner next to it . Lockbox never been vandalised , though I seem to be going through tenners quite quickly ….

This was often referred to as a HOT offering, people would leave a small amount of cash in a glove box, or just inside the front door. 

HONOUR AMONGST THIEVES. It meant respect, and take it and leave

Trouble is, nowadays I don't the little gobsh!tes would understand or respect it.