Angle Grinder - Wattage, Button/Trigger, and Recommendations?

Oxbow16

Hi again

Sorry to follow my other thread so quickly with another, but need to choose which one to buy over the weekend so I can get started next week.  

- I'm a bit confused by wattage.  Looking at the Makita range, as the wattage goes up the RPM doesn't go up accordingly.  So what difference does the wattage actually make in use?  And for my main intended use - cutting a chase into a stone wall for lead flashing - what kind of wattage should I be looking at?

- What are people's thoughts and experiences on sliding switches (permanently on) vs trigger types?

- Any brand or model recommendations?  Hoping to get 125mm so that the chase can be 38mm deep.  

- A novice user question...  Are you supposed to work from left to right or vice versa?  With the spin of the disc or against it?  

Many thanks and I promise to shut up about angle grinders after this!

I bought a cheapie from screwfix, has soft start and never let me down, if your going to use it DIY rather than pro I would recommend  it 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-msag2000-2000w-9-electric-angle-grinder-220-240v/522gf

left to right otherwise it will grab and throw it out. I would opt for trigger in case it gets away from you.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

The wattage will increase the torque for any given RPM.

The size of the cutting disk will have a maximum RPM.

This is why larger, more powerful, angle grinders can often have a lower RPM.

Pi x diameter x RPM gives you the equivalent linear cutting speed.

I prefer toggle switches, and a speed controller. Can't think that I have seen both together in recent years, so go toggle switch if you don't have a choice.

Once switched on, you can use use both hands on the grinder to control it. Or one handed if needed.

Really try not to over think it too much. Sooner or later you will need to just switch it on and plunge that disk into the wall. It is not the backwards and forwards motion that will catch you out, more twisting the cutter in a slot, that is when it jambs up. 

If you can, try cutting up an old brick, concrete slab or large stone, get a feel for it.

• Thanks 1

I would concider corded as well. Personally if I'm using angle grinder I do a lot with it. Corded are really powerful last as long as you mains or a generator kicking about. I also prefer a fixed speed,with a sliding on or off switch.

1 hour ago, Oxbow16 said:

Are you supposed to work from left to right or vice versa?  With the spin of the disc or against it

It all depends on what handed you are, you will hold the angle grinder differently.  Don't try to force your self to do it wrong, it will end up hurting you.  Also safety glasses are a must, anyone why says otherwise ignore them. Been to A&E several time after doing a quick job and getting stuff in my eyes.

• Thanks 1

I have two second hand angle grinders of unknown make and hate them both. Watch out tor....

ON/Off switches that are near impossible to work or latch on when wearing gloves.

Spring loaded locks you need to press to stop the disc rotating when undoing the nut. Nightmare trying to hold the grinder, hold the lock and work the spanner. This type of no tool quick release nut is great and fit most makes.. 

s-l500.jpg.a19d8a937e06adeb667598d38de95e80.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Been to A&E several time after doing a quick job and getting stuff in my eyes.

Next time, bend your head down, look at the ground and blink a lot.

It gets the dust out.

If it really hurts, then maybe a  trip to the cottage hospital.

32 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Next time, bend your head down, look at the ground and blink a lot.

It gets the dust out.

If it really hurts, then maybe a  trip to the cottage hospital.

I use the Chinese method to avoid PPE.. 

Jokes aside, the position on the cutting blade you make contact with and the relative force will define the direction of the debris. With practice, you can guide most of the sparks/dust in the right direction. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Could turn up with my scaffold tower if local.

Then I can film it from a good angle.

If you're a St. John's Ambulance volunteer, we're on...

Thanks for all the other responses and advice.  Yes, I've got all my PPE all ready thanks.  Although with this c@p weather it took me a while to find my sandals.  

Turns out there's a Parkside angle grinder this week at Lidl. I know they're not the best, but have over the years heard good things about Parkside - especially given the price - and the few handtools I've had from there I've been pleased with.

The Parkside ticks all of my boxes, and some boxes I didn't enough know needed ticking!!! The design features are amazing. But will it perform? Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks again

Edited by Oxbow16

Have some experience with Parkside grinders and in general they're great with one exception- the new-ish brushless 20V one. Very little torque, the wheel just stalls under protection any time you force it. Keep the revs up and it's fine. Not recommended...

• Like 1

>>> Been to A&E several time after doing a quick job and getting stuff in my eyes.

I find angle grinders to be scary enough that I usually wear a full face shield. My concern is thin disks shattering. This kind of thing:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-face-shield-clear/6540D?kpid=6540D&cm_mmc=Google-_-Datafeed-_-Safety and Workwear

Fairly comfortable.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I have been using angle grinders for over 45 years (daily for over 20 years trimming up composite plastics), never had a disk or pad break.

Polishing bonnets have slipped and caused a lot of imbalance, but that is easily solved.

I've seen some explosive situations with grinder discs, mainly the 1mm cutting discs on metal. 

Not enough is taught these days about supporting what you're cutting. The two sides of the piece being cut bite into the sides of the disc and boom! 

Edited by FuerteStu

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I have been using angle grinders for over 45 years (daily for over 20 years trimming up composite plastics), never had a disk or pad break.

It is more the occasional user that is at risk as they are more likely to be using old discs where the binding adhesive has lost its strength. Expiry dates should always be honoured, but I must admit as an occasional user myself I have found myself several times now just needing the grinder for a quick job and only having expired discs to hand. I still use them - just a bit more carefully and with extra consideration for where the bits might end up if it does go. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

@Oxbow16

Any progress, or are you at  A&E?

Thanks for your concern!  :)  And to everyone for all the additional replies.  

I'm working away this weekend so work begins next week.  Turns out the Parkside isn't available until Thursday coming, so thinking to swap the order of events and get/use that once it's in stores....  

Cheers