Asbestos. Is this ethical or commonsense

Post and beam

I believe that the corrugated roof sheets on a little barn on my plot are probably asbestos of some flavour.

The plot is 3/4 acre.

Is it legal, and or sensible to bury the stuff 6 feet down in a far corner or does this make me the devil for even asking the question?

31 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

pay for it to be removed

Can i not do it any more then. Double bag and take it to the tip. Is this no longer allowed?

32 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

disposed of safely.

As above, is it no longer legal to take it to the tip myself?

44 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Didn't think it has been legal to DIY asbestos for the last decade, two or three, asbestos is a control substance. 

JohnMo i would have thought the same. But i read the other Asbestos removal thread in this same section before i posted and i did not get that impression. That dates from just 2 years ago.

I am not trying to circumvent the law, i am just trying to understand what is acceptable.

Cement bonded (roofing sheets) it’s fine and legal for you to put in a skip from an asbestos company. I did 3 ton out of my place in wales 3 years ago, and I’ve got close to 7 ton to go from here now. My dad collected the stuff :D

• Like 1

To give you some idea of costs, just pulled this from my emails from Summer 2021:

1 x 8 cu yd enclosed builders skip for cement based asbestos waste £520.00 which includes up to your first tonne, transport on the empty skip and collected once full, the consignment note and premises code then £185.00 per tonne there after.

I think it was a little over £1000 once we’d filled it up.

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Not legal or sensible for you to touch it. You have to pay for it to be removed and disposed of safely.

You are allowed, but I wouldn't even think about doing it, to deal with asbestos yourself. The disposal is controlled but your local council will have a place where you can take small quantities of double bagged asbestos, round here - Kent, you need to book an appointment and its 5 doubled bags at a time. Depending on the grade you would need to ensure you take all the precautions - it differs by type. Best thing would be to find out what sort you have by getting a professional in to test it then you can decide how best to dispose of it. 

1 hour ago, Post and beam said:

Is it legal, and or sensible to bury the stuff 6 feet down in a far corner or does this make me the devil for even asking the question?

In some cases it is perfectly legal to bury asbestos. But why?

Well, I'll take an example. Say you have soils containing mercury or say chromium. Now once you get a handle on this and you weigh up the the risk of disposal vs burying you find often that burying is the way to go. The same rules apply for asbestos pretty much.

Asbestos is actually a nice thing to bury as it is inert and does not contaminate the ground water where as Mercury and Chromium does. Remember that asbestos often comes out of the ground as a natural mineral from Austraila.

There was a court case in England where contaminated material was taken off site, it blew off uncovered lorries and polluted a load of villages along the route to the waste disposal site. It was really bad, kids suffered.

There are a surprising amount of houses that have been build over the last few decades where the top layers of soil have been stripped off, the contamination  buried deep, a membrane placed on top, the removed soil placed back on top of the membrane and house built on top of that.  We do this in the UK and there are examples of this being done safely worldwide, Australia is one case I know a bit about. When I mean deep.. I mean deep.. so you home owner can go digging it up accidentally. 1.8m buried depth is a good number for burying asbestos.

But if you want to do this then you need to have a contamination strategy, a risk register and other documentation that you need to include in your deeds. If you don't do this then you are breaking the law.

You may find that to do this right that the cost of compliance is greater than just getting in a licensed asbestos removal contractor. Also remember that it won't look good to the average punter if you want to later sell your house.

In summary..

Yes it is legal to bury asbestos in certain circumstances.

You are not the "devil"

You could chance you arm and just do it.. but see if you sell and get caught.. you are looking at a potential massive liability.. and your insurance won't cover that. I would play this off a straight bat and do it right.

I too removed my own asbestos (dressed like haz mat gear) and put it into an asbestos lidded skip and paid fir it’s removal (to be buried in an old quarry in Cornwall) it was ok ed by the environment agency (because my nosey neighbour informed them after a fire that asbestos was involved).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I too removed my own asbestos (dressed like haz mat gear) and put it into an asbestos lidded skip and paid fir it’s removal (to be buried in an old quarry in Cornwall) it was ok ed by the environment agency (because my nosey neighbour informed them after a fire that asbestos was involved).

Assume they are off the xmas card list and on the "I hope it goes shit for them next year" list.

Dump it in a quiet country lane, then inform the council that someone has fly tipped some asbestos.

The council will then come along and arrange for it to be disposed of correctly.

It will get paid for by increasing car park charges and closing public lavatories.

Well that is what happens down here.

• Haha 2

it's not actually that expensive to get rid off, the garage/workshop we demolished had the corrugated roof. It's low risk type so as long as you dont drill it to make dust its pretty easy to work with. Our local skip company charged £120 a ton to take it as long as we bagged it all up. You can buy a type of elongated jumbo bag that is double skinned you put them in and they can be lifted using the straps.

You get a waste transfer note to keep just in case anyone comes a knockin asking questions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

Assume they are off the xmas card list and on the "I hope it goes shit for them next year" list.

Oh yes, he complained about everything we did on site and actually pissed off the enforcement officer who had to keep visiting. I was working around the site prior to planning permission (gone to appeal which I won) doing jobs outside of that required planning, clearing ditches etc and in the end I used to ring the enforcement officer to tell him each day what I was going to do that day to save him visiting, we got on well. The neighbour went bankrupt and had his house sold from under him 👍

Whoever had this place before me has buried various flavours of broken up asbestos looking sheet material, my only problem with this is just they didn't bury it deep enough as I keep coming across it whenever I get a digger.  Not really arsed about it, I just dig a deeper hole out of the way, collect it up with the tractor and push it in.

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Oh yes, he complained about everything we did on site and actually pissed off the enforcement officer who had to keep visiting. I was working around the site prior to planning permission (gone to appeal which I won) doing jobs outside of that required planning, clearing ditches etc and in the end I used to ring the enforcement officer to tell him each day what I was going to do that day to save him visiting, we got on well. The neighbour went bankrupt and had his house sold from under him 👍

Hahaha, what a looser..... Good riddance to bad neighbours.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

When I visited @joe90's, the neighbour had erected a manakin up to try and look like someone official keeping an eye on the build.

Yes he had, he was as mad as a box of frogs, and the other neighbours thought so as well.

1 minute ago, twice round the block said:

I can take asbestos to our local tip for free providing I double wrap it.

I tried to take some of my Mother's house hold rubbish to her local tip in Buckinghamshire and got refused entry because my car was registered in Cornwall.

(expletive deleted)ing Nazis.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Dryden said:

Are you allowed to dump waste from Buckinghamshire in Cornwall is the question

Yes, and every other county.

4 million of you do it every year.

Your dogs can shit on the beaches as well, in fact, it is compulsory, council encourages it.

Unlike Paris, you can hire electric bikes and scooters, just make sure you ignore the cycle lanes and use the footpaths, and go up one way streets the wrong way.

But the most important thing to remember is when you cross the Tamar, you have to make up your own Highway Code.  The national one does not apply anymore.  Just make sure it is unique, so absolutely no one knows what you are going to do next, be it stop suddenly, react to a signpost totally inappropriately, and my favourite, block the outside lane of a dual carriageway and leave a mile of clear road in front of you.

(I use the term 'You' generically for (expletive deleted)ing (expletive deleted) emmets)

Edited by SteamyTea

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

block the outside lane of a dual carriageway and leave a mile of clear road in front of you.

No, that’s normal for anywhere in England, driving knowledge in this country is appalling.