Asbestos. Is this ethical or commonsense

Post and beam

On 30/08/2023 at 20:55, Post and beam said:

I believe that the corrugated roof sheets on a little barn on my plot are probably asbestos of some flavour.

The plot is 3/4 acre.

Is it legal, and or sensible to bury the stuff 6 feet down in a far corner or does this make me the devil for even asking the question?

What you have will be cement asbestos, contains a very small % of white asbestos, the least deadly, there is even an HSE document detailing its handling for the DIYer. 

I did my garage roof after watching the professionals doing a friends, they damaged a lot of it and dragged it up their drive leaving a trail of white dust, you tell me that is safe?!?

I bought disposable overalls, I bought new filters for my mask, I wore old trainers, shorts and t-shirt under the overalls and gloves and taped my ankles & wrists (already going over the top). I did it on a damp day, and I had the garden hose to soak the roof. Using a crowbar and batten I levered all the roof fasteners out and lifted each sheet down one at a time and stacked them.

I then set the hose up like a shower and stripped including having a cold shower outside, bagged all my clothes and overalls. I binned the filter and washed the rest of the face mask by sitting it in warm soapy water and rinsing it multiple times.

I shall not disclose my disposal method on a public forum, and for the avoidance of any doubt it was not fly tipped or disposed of in a way that would impact the tax payer or an unsuspecting person. 

It was acceptable, until not that long ago, to be disposed of on farms by burying, or, scattering along farm roads to act as hardcore! It still goes on.

Edited by Carrerahill