D I Y electrics😱

joe90

Just checking the electrics to my new workshop and I came across this in an outhouse, wiring to the workshop STARTS in a socket, then it’s fed from an existing socket in the outhouse and connected by this…… beggars belief. Trust me I am all for DIY as long as you have some basic knowledge at least. No wonder there are regs. It stops people being killed.

IMG_0260.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Just checking the electrics to my new workshop and I came across this in an outhouse, wiring to the workshop STARTS in a socket, then it’s fed from an existing socket in the outhouse and connected by this…… beggars belief. Trust me I am all for DIY as long as you have some basic knowledge at least. No wonder there are regs. It stops people being killed.

IMG_0260.jpeg

Looks good too me 👍

• Sad 1

Oh, just found the first socket is supplied by a 3 pin plug in the kitchen (13 amp fuse) and a fancy consumer unit in the workshop has a 63 amp incomer 🙄. I liked my new build, at least I knew it was all wired properly.

54 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Several times i have found the "added extra socket" cut into an existing ring. One end into One ring, and the other into a different ring. Turn the fuse off. Still live.

Oh yes, when I bought this place (re wired a few years before) separate upstairs and downstairs rings .. great! Pity the ends were swapped over so the ends of both rings went into separate fuses … took some working out.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

h, just found the first socket is supplied by a 3 pin plug in the kitchen (13 amp fuse) and a fancy consumer unit in the workshop has a 63 amp incomer 🙄. I liked my new build, at least I knew it was all wired properly.

You must have had the motivation to leave and move north and a bit east - to become one of the forest dwellers. 

34 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

You must have had the motivation to leave

Not really, a judge decided for me 🥹, ( it’s nice to be nearer family now, and the Forest is great).

Edited by joe90

14 hours ago, Mattg4321 said:

Commonly known in the trade as a widow maker. 

One of the guys at work once made an extension lead like that, shocked the boss.

13 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Several times i have found the "added extra socket" cut into an existing ring. One end into One ring, and the other into a different ring. Turn the fuse off. Still live.

I got caught out like that, took ages to work out what was wrong.

13 hours ago, markc said:

Oh yes, when I bought this place (re wired a few years before) separate upstairs and downstairs rings .. great! Pity the ends were swapped over so the ends of both rings went into separate fuses … took some working out.

I had one a bit like that.  Wanted to turn a circuit off for a repair.  Shiny new CU but nothing labelled.  Turned off the MCB's one at a tiime but my circuit did not go dead.  It turned out which ever "haven't got a clue" changed the CU but each end of both rings into their own 32A MCB.

• Sad 1

On 09/08/2023 at 08:37, ProDave said:

I had one a bit like that.  Wanted to turn a circuit off for a repair.  Shiny new CU but nothing labelled.  Turned off the MCB's one at a tiime but my circuit did not go dead.  It turned out which ever "haven't got a clue" changed the CU but each end of both rings into their own 32A MCB.

That’s just a shortcut to ‘resilience’ isn’t it? 🫣

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/08/2023 at 16:59, joe90 said:

IMG_0260.jpeg

When viewing rental properties a few years back, we found a neighbour has plugged one of these from shed to shed at the bottle of the garden to pinch power. 

When I asked if there was a condition report done, the agent said "yes of course we've got the same guy checking all our properties".. 

"then I won't be renting any of your properties" I replied. 😂

• Thanks 1