Access demands stick build- help :(

rcast1989

Very much looking forward to seeking all the help and advice required of a young couple taking the plunge into our first family home ( and self-build).

We have a lovely plot on Clydebank, Glasgow but it is drought with obstacles for modern-day options such as SIPS, modular and timber kit, namely access!

The local lane is very narrow and despite going to some of the big names ( fleming homes etc.) the SIPS/timber kits would be too wide to easily get through the lane which is 9 feet wide at its worst. 

The feedback has been we will need to complete a "stick build" and know now what that is but can't seem to find anyone local that does residential. 

We have an architect, we have an SE but contractors, suppliers, fitters, "stick builders" all goes way over my head and really need a project manager or a contractor to go through from start to finish. 

Any help or recommendations much appreciated!

PS I will put this in correct forum once open!

20 minutes ago, rcast1989 said:

need a project manager or a contractor to go through from start to finish. 

Perhaps take a drive around. See if you can find some nice one off houses being built. Stop and tell them you might need a builder soon ask if you can look around. That's how we found our builder (and ruled out a few).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Temp said:

Perhaps take a drive around. See if you can find some nice one off houses being built. Stop and tell them you might need a builder soon ask if you can look around. That's how we found our builder (and ruled out a few).

Great idea but not many of these around Glasgow, however, will definitely keep an eye out outside of the city. Again access is the tough point. Honestly, I didn't even think about brick build. Seems all talk today with U values and best heat ratings is around SIP or kit houses rather than stick/ brick builds. 

Our timber framed house was built by a local building firm.  They built the kit panels in a workshop nearby, and brought them to site a few at a time on a 3 ton trailer behind one of their vans.  That would have fitted down your narrow lane.

That is the sort of builder you need to be looking at.

2 minutes ago, rcast1989 said:

Seems all talk today with U values and best heat ratings is around SIP or kit houses rather than stick/ brick builds. 

While that is definitely a good perception, traditional brick and block houses can be built to meet new building regs, and can be built to exceed. The key to any build where you want to minimise in the energy input to the final build is insulation, insulation, insulation, and that includes air-tightness.

What you need (in my personal opinion) is a youngish builder who already has a reasonable level of experience, who is prepared to build over and above the building regs and to address those key items while they are building. While this seems a tall order, the earlier recommendation by @Temp to visit some local "one-off" build sites is seconded by me. Alternatively visit local builders merchants or tool hire shops and ask them for recommendations. I found my GRP roofer in this way (and I am very pleased!)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Our timber framed house was built by a local building firm.  They built the kit panels in a workshop nearby, and brought them to site a few at a time on a 3 ton trailer behind one of their vans.  That would have fitted down your narrow lane.

That is the sort of builder you need to be looking at.

Sounds promising! Would you mind ending on details?

1 minute ago, BotusBuild said:

While that is definitely a good perception, traditional brick and block houses can be built to meet new building regs, and can be built to exceed. The key to any build where you want to minimise in the energy input to the final build is insulation, insulation, insulation, and that includes air-tightness.

What you need (in my personal opinion) is a youngish builder who already has a reasonable level of experience, who is prepared to build over and above the building regs and to address those key items while they are building. While this seems a tall order, the earlier recommendation by @Temp to visit some local "one-off" build sites is seconded by me. Alternatively visit local builders merchants or tool hire shops and ask them for recommendations. I found my GRP roofer in this way (and I am very pleased!)

Extremely helpful, thank you very much , I shall do some digging and report back

Having seen the design with open plan areas and full height areas I think you need to find a builder and have him sit down with your Architect to discuss how to construct it. Depending on the outcome the builder might want construction drawings done. 

For example roofs need to be triangulated to stop them pushing walls out. There are several ways to do this but large steel beams or frames might be needed. Above the full height open plan areas. If there is an access problem will you need to and be able to crane them into place?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Temp said:

Having seen the design with open plan areas and full height areas I think you need to find a builder and have him sit down with your Architect to discuss how to construct it. Depending on the outcome the builder might want construction drawings done. 

For example roofs need to be triangulated to stop them pushing walls out. There are several ways to do this but large steel beams or frames might be needed. Above the full height open plan areas. If there is an access problem will you need to and be able to crane them into place?

Thanks again, 

We were recommended a telehandler or spider crane options

8 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

Alternatively visit local builders merchants or tool hire shops and ask them for recommendations.

I found one or two wouldn't recommend people for fear of somehow becoming liable so I started out saying things like.. "I know you can't recommend somone but is there anyone I should go check out myself? That sometimes worked well. Other places were much more forthcoming and even told me people to avoid, especially if there wernt any other customers around.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rcast1989 said:

Sounds promising! Would you mind ending on details?

I don't think I can help with specifics.  The building company I used have disbanded, but in any case were probably too far away to be interested in your job.  Some of them have retired, and some are now working in an individual capacity or joined other firms.

Just to be clear though a locally built "stick build" like this is exactly the same as if the same design had been stamped out in a bigger factory and all arrived on one articulated lorry.  It is not in any way an inferior build.  At least 2 local self builders have stick built on site, one all on his own, and the other by employing a general builder to help him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I don't think I can help with specifics.  The building company I used have disbanded, but in any case were probably too far away to be interested in your job.  Some of them have retired, and some are now working in an individual capacity or joined other firms.

Thanks a lot, I will pop into my local Jewsons tomorrow and see if they can point me in a good direction. 

If you can find a joiner who went to college, they will know the principles , and have done at least one.

The details will be on the drawings.

Ours made up panels on the slab and manhandled them into place. 

Thus a normal bm wagon can do the delivery. Helps on cash flow and risk too... Read elsewhere on bh.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

What about ICF, no experience myself but seem to all get delivered on pallets. Light and easily moved about it would seem.

Someone like @Conor could provide more information re ICF

never even heard of it until I did a quick google, that looks impressive and a very possible option considering its basically setting up a mold and pouring concerete

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

your making a rod for your own back by choosing a niche, expensive build system with limited builders who can do them properly.

save yourself a load of headache and cash and look at a normal brick and block build.

But where he is, timber frame is the normal, brick and block is the niche and has been for some time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rcast1989 said:

never even heard of it until I did a quick google, that looks impressive and a very possible option considering its basically setting up a mold and pouring concerete

make sure you can get a concrete lorry and concrete pump down the lane before deciding on the ICF route!

• Like 3

We are going to be building with ICF and have similar access problems often a smaller concrete pump can be sent. We have had concrete deliveries so luckily know that’s possible if they reverse in all the way. Search the blogs on here for ICF there are a few good one. 
The roof was going to be a normal looking triangle truss roof but due to access we have changed to a mono truss which is basically two smaller triangles that are fastened together on site to make the full truss. We struggle with labour here so less time on site helps. 
have you been through BC yet or warrant. Do you need access for fire. Our plans have gone in and we needed a turnaround as they can’t reverse more than 20m. 

I've had a quick scan of your plans. 

Your architect has made the walls very thin. Maybe 300mm? You might struggle to get to BRegs with this. 

Have you robust details for the parapet walls and flat roof. These need to be bomb proof. Especially with timberframe. 

43 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

made the walls very thin. Maybe 300mm? You might struggle to get to BRegs with this.

One would hope that an Architect had considered this. in terms of structure and of insulation`, With a thought to practicality and local norms.

You can get building reg's with 300mm but it will preclude some constructions.

Ask your architect to draw or describe the wall / building construction they have in mind, as a matter of urgency.

I'm a bit concerned that this doesn't appear to have been discussed with you.

I should emphasise that I have not looked at your drawings, as Iadded don't want downloads of other peoples' projects.  

Edited by saveasteading
added last sentence