Hi all, I'm John, a new member

jon-lee

My background is a mixed bag, I've been employed over 20 years in design predominantly precast concrete products (b&b, stairs, hollow-core, lift shafts, the list goes on). In addition to this many years designing structural steel. Currently I'm employed designing retaining structures. I'm not here to promote a business, just to give advice if I can. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, jon-lee said:

I'm not here to promote a business, just to give advice if I can. 

Welcome, and thanks for being upfront about this.

Several members manage to successfully walk the line between commercial presence and unacceptable business promotion. @craig comes to mind, but there are others.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jack said:

Welcome, and thanks for being upfront about this.

Several members manage to successfully walk the line between commercial presence and unacceptable business promotion. @craig comes to mind, but there are others.

LOL…..

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ETC said:

LOL…..

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. If it's a dig at Craig, look back through his recent posts - lots of helpful content, no mention of his company.

Incidentally, you're one of the "there are others" I was trying to think of when I wrote my reply.

6 minutes ago, jack said:

I don't know what this is supposed to mean

I saw it as agreement that Craig is helpful, as us ETC.

No more or less.

No point scaring off a new member. We can do that later.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jack said:

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. If it's a dig at Craig, look back through his recent posts - lots of helpful content, no mention of his company.

Incidentally, you're one of the "there are others" I was trying to think of when I wrote my reply.

It’s a dig at the insinuation that people on this forum are trying to pick up business.

5 hours ago, jack said:

I’m one of who? Are you insinuating that I’m here to get business?

1 hour ago, ETC said:

I’m one of who? Are you insinuating that I’m here to get business?

No, if you read that properly it said “you are one of those that” …

manage to successfully walk the line between commercial presence and unacceptable business promotion.

a compliment 🤷‍♂️

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jack said:

To be honest, I don’t know what it means either @jack but water of a ducks back tbh. I can confidently say I have not touted for business here, if that is what he is insinuating with the “lol” reply.

It has me confused.

11 hours ago, joe90 said:

No, if you read that properly it said “you are one of those that” …

manage to successfully walk the line between commercial presence and unacceptable business promotion.

a compliment 🤷‍♂️

It’s not a compliment - it’s a sly observation that some posters (apparently including me) are members to promote their own business - I don’t have a business.

Just for clarification to everyone. The original post reads like an insinuation that some posters are on here to promote their business disguised as helpful advice to less experienced self-builders. That was what the “lol” was about.

8 hours ago, craig said:

To be honest, I don’t know what it means either @jack but water of a ducks back tbh. I can confidently say I have not touted for business here, if that is what he is insinuating with the “lol” reply.

It has me confused.

It is @craig. It’s laughing at the notion that posters on her (apparently including me) are out to hood-wink less experienced posters into employing them or buying their services. I don’t have a business to promote and I’m not trying to sell a service. I’ve (hopefully) helped dozens of posters (mostly by private messaging) with the skills and experience I have amassed over twenty years in the building industry.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ETC said:

It is @craig. It’s laughing at the notion that posters on her (apparently including me) are out to hood-wink less experienced posters into employing them or buying their services. I don’t have a business to promote and I’m not trying to sell a service. I’ve (hopefully) helped dozens of posters (mostly by private messaging) with the skills and experience I have amassed over twenty years in the building industry.

That’s not what @jack was saying though but I do get where you are coming from.

13 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Was it more of a case of Jack saying something ambiguous, and the rest of us thinking he is trying to take a swipe.

Would not be the first time it has happened.

Lol. And for those that don’t understand I am laughing at the idea that this isn’t the first time he’s put his foot in his mouth! (Allegedly so not to upset those of a mild disposition.)

• Like 1