Buying a digger

Vijay

Got it in one Declan.

There's two shackles; one U shaped with a locked nut (rated at 4 tonnes) on the bucket mounting (not the bucket) and a largish shackle hooked up to that: one big enough for four strop loops. I'm being veeerrrry careful moving heavy things - I can make a heavy weight swing all too easily. The other thing I'm trying to do is -where I can- move heavy stuff just a few inches off the ground. And all the time keep the weight as close to the digger as possible. That said the piece of cedar in the photo was lifted at full stretch (3 meters) without fuss or noise from the hydraulics at half-full revs. I thought that distance (stretch)  was pushing it a bit.

But the digger makes so many things so much easier. I'm starting to think about how to solve a problem with a digger now, rather than think for a while, and then realise - Oh yes! I could sort that with the digger.

Has anyone mentioned diggers are great for putting in fence posts.  Position the post, get it level, a couple of taps with a sledge hammer so it's in a little bit and won't fall over, then push down with the digger bucket and one post securely in the ground.

And back to the size question.  Are you expecting to find any rocks in the ground?

I pulled this little pebble out of the ground when digging my foundations, I am not sure a smaller machine would have lifted it

big_rock.jpg

• Like 1

No chance of a digger whacking in fence posts here. Clay & flint. 3' long auger on the tractor pto and even then there'll be a shear pin to replace somewhere along the way! Big flints, roots etc. Scary when the auger binds up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Got it in one Declan.

There's two shackles; one U shaped with a locked nut (rated at 4 tonnes) on the bucket mounting (not the bucket) and a largish shackle hooked up to that: one big enough for four strop loops. I'm being veeerrrry careful moving heavy things - I can make a heavy weight swing all too easily. The other thing I'm trying to do is -where I can- move heavy stuff just a few inches off the ground. And all the time keep the weight as close to the digger as possible. That said the piece of cedar in the photo was lifted at full stretch (3 meters) without fuss or noise from the hydraulics at half-full revs. I thought that distance (stretch)  was pushing it a bit.

But the digger makes so many things so much easier. I'm starting to think about how to solve a problem with a digger now, rather than think for a while, and then realise - Oh yes! I could sort that with the digger.

Text book maneuvers . Just remember to always keep the blade in front of you just skimming the worms as you go. If you go to tip it will dig in and hopefully stop it and if what your carrying starts to swing it will hit the blade and not the tracks or the window.

11 minutes ago, DeeJunFan said:

I can't see anything apart from [...] the chainsaw.

It's easier to use than the  other ones I use, better balanced, easier to start, less vibration, and just a little bit frightening. It coped with the root bowl of that Hemlock tree in short order - and in that sense it's less hard work. 

On 08/06/2016 at 21:53, Construction Channel said:

everyone needs some inspiration

<YouTube Video>

Dare I say, I was Ians:D

Edit: although I should add, Ian's is better and annoyingly bigger than mine :(

Ed, I'd never appreciated how big your fingers are ;) 

Edited by TerryE
Avoid double Youtube visual link
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Ed, have you ever tried one of those light-weight bars? I might be able to smuggle one under the SWMBO radar buried deep in an invoice. 

10 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Never had a chance myself but wranglerstar is a big fan. I'll try and find a link when I get home. 

Have tried and failed, he has adopted the same theme of not naming his videos on what they are about, something that I am now second guessing, 

But from what I hear they are a very good idea, it keeps the weight closer to your body and I can't see any disadvantages. 

Only thing you need to consider is how much you use the saw out of the mill? as when it is in the mill the weight is almost irrelevant,

then again how much are we talking? it's still only a bar so I can't see you breaking £200 even if you were getting robbed.

But Ian, you are a gentleman (not-so old age pensioner) and have the time to play and to learn the nuances of "digging". 

Vijay, you have to work -- in London, I believe -- and are building a house about 5 mins drive from M1 J15.   If you want get get someone to give you a price for the foundations all-in then you can get that around here.  If you want someone who is good with a JCB or whatever and can move earth / dig strip foundations under your direction then you can also get that and pay by the hour, but these are apples and oranges. 

Hi Terry,

I do but I intend to be fully hands on with my build (well as much as I can) and am not under pressure in terms of a deadline now as I've kind of missed my window with the builder (and my Mum has to have a heart op in the next few months) so I probably won't start building till next year now. So that's why I'm contemplating the digger and as already said, it's there when ever I need it rather that struggling to do a job with a shovel or waiting for a machine to arrive.

Thinking about this even more (and looking at every digger I see working on roads now), what can be done to help combat theft of diggers? Would disabling the engine be a good start?