Building regs drawings myself?

Sophiae

Good morning 

Has anyone tried to compile the whole document needs for the building regs drawings for a single story flat roof extension on their own? 

I am being quoted anything from £700-1500. I know it isn’t a lot of money for a lot of people but I am wondering if anyone has done it themselves and saved the cost? 

Unfortunately the budget doesn’t permit any further spending as it means everything will be put on hold till I can earn that money as ran into a few hurdles with the SE steel design and that has exhausted me financially. 

Anyone used this website before? 
https://www.buildingregs4plans.co.uk

I did my own for my extension - but I already had quite a bit of experience of producing technical drawings, interpreting regulations/technical standards and documenting compliance (e.g. for licensing applications for temporary venues) from my previous life working in theatre and events.

It took a huge amount of time.

Partly that's actually just doing the drawing, especially because unlike a pro I didn't have any library of symbols/templates/past drawings to adapt and reuse so had to draw everything from scratch.

But the bigger part was working out what to draw:

* Researching examples of other people's plans to see what Building Control would expect to see detailed and how it would usually be presented - if drawings stand out as being done by an amateur that may attract more attention and questions over the details

* Researching the actual building regs to understand what I was actually allowed to build, how it had to be constructed, all the limits on sizes, positioning of things, layout of drainage, minimum numbers of sockets, smoke alarms, u-values and lots more. A lot of this information has to be shown on the drawings to show BC that it's been considered and the design complies. So unless you know all the rules, it's not possible to produce a drawing that shows you meet them.

I found it an interesting and rewarding challenge, and my first set of plans came back with one very minor comment to amend before BC approved them, which was better than my mother-in-law's architect managed! And as I'm also building myself, the process was very useful in then knowing exactly what I was doing once I started construction.

But it is not easy, and unless you would enjoy investing a lot of time learning a new skill then it would probably make sense to pay someone - the prices you've had seem about right from what I've heard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sophiae said:

Has anyone tried to compile the whole document needs for the building regs drawings

Yes , many have, including some who are giving you advice on here.

Not what you want to hear, but it is   complex thing, and you would have to learn a lot.

The building inspector may then ask you to prove some aspects.

In Scotland you even have to be on a register, so we couldn't do our own.

Sorry. Get studying or find someone. But £700 is cheap already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

In Scotland you even have to be on a register, so we couldn't do our own.

Unless it's changed fairly recently I don't think that's quite correct. There is an option to use an Approved Certifier of Design for the structure (your structural engineer) and/or for energy/insulation.

In theory it's optional, you get a discount on the warrant fee for each Approved Certifier you use, in practice I've heard building control are reluctant to sign off structural engineer's calcs if they aren't an Approved Certifier.

I did my whole application other than the structural engineering, and put that in with the engineer's drawings and certificate, and BC were happy with that.

• Like 3

We had an Architect and Engineer in family, but neither registered in Scotland.

It wasn't worth the process and cost to get registered for one project.

So we needed one registered party, and that was the Engineer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sophiae said:

Has anyone tried to compile the whole document needs for the building regs drawings for a single story flat roof extension on their own? 

I am being quoted anything from £700-1500

Sure. But I worked in the industry and studied the subject, so it's easy for me. Without that background, there's a lot to learn and it will take a good deal of time.

As @saveasteading says, £700 is a good deal, provided it's from someone suitably experienced.

• Thanks 1

I think it depends a lot on your construction - but they effectively are the engineering design (the planning drawings are the aesthetic design) - so they need to be right (and then you need to get your builders to follow them).

If very standard brick and block, then you can probably find examples to copy. I think if you're asking then you probably need to get someone to draw them - but then someone needs to be across the detailed engineering design. Maybe  that's your builder or your SE, but I think you need to be clear who that is - because that's the person you sue if the engineering design isn't right.

I'll probably do my own, but I'm an engineer and I want to make sure the detail is right. And I'm prepared to take on the risk.

• Like 1

Hi @Sophiae

As your title indicates the drawings require the detailed information to show that the work will be carried out in accordance with the building regulations.

To understand what to write one would need to know the regulations. If this is not your field of knowledge I would suggest saving the money up rather than spending a lot longer working it all out.

However, if you would like to see the regulations: 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/building-regulations-and-approved-documents-index

Good luck.

M

• Thanks 1

Yes I have the SE’s drawings for the steel and flat roof. Now I am only looking for the rest of the extension. 
As all of you kind people here have assured me it is doable but time consuming. 
I honestly don’t mind the learning one bit (used to be a bookworm) but now love to learn for the sake of learning rather than exams. 
The down side is the time I will need to get it all done. Part of me wants to embark on this because I am managing the project myself so want to be there for everything, just don’t have the muscle to do it myself. The other issue is my OCD. Will it be as perfect as I would want it to be after I do all the studying? It probably would need a lot of my attention and I can easily get distracted by everything else around me, but still really craving for the challenge. 😂 

The last down side is that I have to go to work to afford my current rent and expenses along with look after my little man. 
So in balance I think I will ask for a few extra shifts in the coming weeks so that I would be able to pay my credit card when the bills come. 

I will however try and produce my version of them on my own time so that I would learn how to do it. I am not technical at all, but I can learn from sources and easily produce documents fit for purpose. 
I already downloaded the local authority guidance. It’s a massive document. 

Will keep you posted. 

Any views on the website? 

Single storey flat roof extension? you don't necessarily need regs drawings at all. Employ a builder on the basis what he builds has to comply with building regs, (i.e. he won't get final payment without completion certificate) and just do the job on a building notice. Best if the builder is local and knows the BC team. It's all pretty standard stuff, and if a builder doesn't know how to build a simple extension to regs, he isn't a builder.

If you take this route you must use a builder you can trust to get it right.

• Like 1

Will your proposals be built over or within 3m of a public sewer?

Will your proposals require excavations within 3m of a neighbouring property and will the depth of your foundations exceed the neighbour(s)?

Do your proposals include glazing that would exceed 25% of the new build internal floor space?

These are only some of the items a competent person would be able to advise and deal with. There can be a lot more to it than just putting lines to paper.

Edited by DevilDamo
  • Thanks 1

Do what most people do - submit the most basic of basic drawings and get BC to do an MOT on them. It’ll p*ss off your BCO but you’ll get a list of items that need to go on the drawings to get them to comply.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

Will your proposals be built over or within 3m of a public sewer?

Will your proposals require excavations within 3m of a neighbouring property and will the depth of your foundations exceed the neighbour(s)?

Do your proposals include glazing that would exceed 25% of the new build internal floor space?

These are only some of the items a competent person would be able to advise and deal with. There can be a lot more to it than just putting lines to paper.

Yes I have done some reading and I agree to your advice. Luckily it’s all straight forward and non of them apply. 

48 minutes ago, ETC said:

Do what most people do - submit the most basic of basic drawings and get BC to do an MOT on them. It’ll p*ss off your BCO but you’ll get a list of items that need to go on the drawings to get them to comply.

That sounds like a good start into my learning journey. Thank you 

26 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Too much information.

Are you allowed to refuse to detail the objections because there is so little information? Politely of course.

No idea what you are talking about.

3 hours ago, ETC said:

Just draw a freehand sketch of what you are doing post it here and I’ll help you add a few notes.

Seriously - I’m a BCO and I see worse everyday.

I can’t thank you enough. 
I’ll start drawing a bit tonight. 

Can you look online at your local authority online planning dept and download other extension plans, Fife council let’s you download plans, so if I saw an extension in the street I liked I could download their plan and get some ideas for layout etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sophiae said:

I can’t thank you enough. 
I’ll start drawing a bit tonight. 

Show the existing and proposed works and show the dimensions for the new works. Photos would help too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Can you look online at your local authority online planning dept and download other extension plans, Fife council let’s you download plans, so if I saw an extension in the street I liked I could download their plan and get some ideas for layout etc.

I looked already and sadly they only have links to the main one. The document is over 1500 pages. Luckily I have patience when I need to find something to guide me, so I already came across a few samples and have some initial guidance (general not specific) and because I am involved and invested this time, I will compile a list for everything tailored to my project. 

Another way to save money: is there some way you can get yourselves back into the house safely? Slum it in a caravan on the drive? (make it an exciting adventure for your child?) Paying rent on top of trying to save up is one step forward, 2 steps back

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Another way to save money: is there some way you can get yourselves back into the house safely? Slum it in a caravan on the drive? (make it an exciting adventure for your child?) Paying rent on top of trying to save up is one step forward, 2 steps back

I wish. 😔 😞 Looking back I should have moved in first then started the work. Fast forward regrets for being stubborn 😞 

It’s unfortunately not a remote possibility till the roof is on and I can have doors to close the extension. 
The place has one water tap and one electricity outlet. Everything else has been disconnected and closed off. 
I removed the gas supply via Cadent because I truly wanted to go more eco-friendly from the outset. 
I dreamt big 😂 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Sophiae said:

I looked already and sadly they only have links to the main one. The document is over 1500 pages. Luckily I have patience when I need to find something to guide me, so I already came across a few samples and have some initial guidance (general not specific) and because I am involved and invested this time, I will compile a list for everything tailored to my project. 

no I mean search for a property, so you drive past a house like the look of the work, find the drawing online and use that as a starting point for your drawing.

like below

http://planning.northamptonboroughcouncil.com/civica/Resource/Civica/Handler.ashx/doc/pagestream?DocNo=10971130&pdf=true&filename=Plans - M00521-100-01 Structural Plans %26 Details.pdf

• Thanks 1