Housewide audio

Pocster

I ever I get a man cave and my stuff had survived the loft I'd love to get mine going:

Technics deck / Ortofon cartridge

Technics receiver

Technics cassette deck

Pioneer amp (rack mount)

Wharfdale speakers x 4

I was seduced by CD but do miss vinyl and the "whump" as I flicked the Frankenstein switch on the amp. :)

3 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

These are mine....I put them in the ceilings and walls, got them from a place in Southend,I got a good price because I bought enough to do mine and son in laws house.

IMG_20170805_125952306.jpg

IMG_20170805_130035471.jpg

How do the sound? expensive????

Home cinema is what it's all about for me.  I can't remember the last time I sat and listened to an album.  I'm more of a talk radio man, or low level background music, and have been quite happy with my internet radio for that.  

My Yamaha RXV640RDS is now 15 years old, paired with the Wharfedale Diamond speakers I bought over 30 years ago.  One day the amp will give out, and I'm under pressure to change it for something more slimline - a Marantz NR-1506, to fit in our new media unit.  I'm likewise under pressure for something more discreet speaker wise, although I have to say I'm more reluctant in this respect.  Top of my list is the Tannoy HTS101XP speaker package.  All being well will be visiting Edinburgh in a few weeks time which will give me the opportunity to listen to both components.

We have been having this conversation.

In our last house we had two hifi units, one in each of the living rooms. I thought it worked well.

But this time SWMBO doesn't want "stuff" like that on show. In her world, music would just appear from "somewhere" probably streamed from her phone (yuk)

The compromise we have come up with, is one of our existing hi fi units, the one that has remote control (not my ancient 1980's amp) is going to be put in the "electrical" cupboard where it will be out of sight, but readilly accessible. A couple of remote control extender senders in each room will ensure it can be controlled from anywhere.  We are still having proper speakers, my floor standing pair in the snug living room and a wall hung pair in the familly room.  I hope this compromise means we can have the "no clutter" look and still be able to listen to proper quality audio.

Independent of this, both rooms will have a surround sound system for their respective tv's with all speaker cabling for those built into the walls.

6 hours ago, pocster said:

How do the sound? expensive????

Well I think they sound really good, they are well made and heavy (loads of copper windings (I could pop one out and post a pic if needed)

They were not that expensive. I will try and remember where exactly I got them.

I have each pair connected to it's own volume control which fits inside a double gang patress.

8 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Well I think they sound really good, they are well made and heavy (loads of copper windings (I could pop one out and post a pic if needed)

They were not that expensive. I will try and remember where exactly I got them.

I have each pair connected to it's own volume control which fits inside a double gang patress.

I fitted the same speakers in the walls of our living room, for the TV.  They do indeed sound good, a great deal better than I thought they would for the price.

I too enjoy little better than a ridiculously good surround. 

Im a bit mutt'n'jeff after 13 years club DJ'ing so I constantly nag SWMBO to turn up the regular tv, and when I've had a tit full of the two crisp packets that flat tv manufacturers call speakers....the guns come out. 

"The neighbours can hear that"

"Yup!"

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Any supplier details @JSHarris or @Plumbersmateuk ..??

I can see a BuildHub bulk order happening here ...

Mine are the same as @JSHarris although a different name and I checked back and they came from http://www.bkelec.com/ 

They sadly no longer list them but that price from tech4homes is good. If my memory,  LOL serves me right I paid about £18 per pair buying 12 pairs albeit 2010.

They are on at least 5 hours a day and more at weekends and have given no bother.

I would/am going to use them in the new house.

As I said in an earlier post I have individual volume controls, chrome in bathroom and whit MK double blanks elsewhere

Chrome.jpg

White.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pocster said:

Should I get speaker hoods for in ceiling speakers ? Seem bloody expensive !!! 

I haven't.........I also have speakers in the bathroom ceilings and they have not suffered from the occasional hostile environment but I do have MVHR.

As I said in an earlier post I installed the speakers in 2010.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Should these be going into fire rated 'pockets' to maintain fire barrier integrity, if above space is hallway / habitable ?

Part B obviously AND then E ref the floors above I reckon should apply if we're being pedantic and what about C if it's below a bathroom? :)

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Should these be going into fire rated 'pockets' to maintain fire barrier integrity, if above space is hallway / habitable ?

My understanding from the last place I did is "yes" and its gets expensive!

That's why you might just provision the cabling and wait until your build is finished and signed off. But I'm NOT condoning that behaviour I'm just pointing out an option.

Hmmmm, well I've got beam and block flooring - not sure if that matters.

I was more interested in the 'hoods' for audio quality rather than fire regs.

I'll just take the speakers down when the BCO looks :-) ; tell him they are light fitting cut outs.....

Actually!; how come a downlighter hood is cheap when a speaker hood isn't if it's all about fire regs?? O.o

Smells like BS too me - and that's not British Standards!

Edited by pocster