Cost to get Utilities installed

Hi 

I am based in Hertfordshire, and am coming towards the end of my build. 

I am getting close to getting my utilities installed. 

Will need gas, electric, water and broadband I believe. 

How much do you estimate all this should cost to install? 

That a how long is a piece of string question, all depends where the services are coming from. Our gas wa a few hundred pounds, as it was really close, the electric several thousand because it wasn't close. But could be 10s of thousands of a few hundred.

52 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

That a how long is a piece of string question, all depends where the services are coming from. Our gas wa a few hundred pounds, as it was really close, the electric several thousand because it wasn't close. But could be 10s of thousands of a few hundred.

Thanks JohnMo

2 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Trying to get the digs coordinated can be a pain, but if you manage it and can use the same trench you’ll get a rebate. 
No sewer connection needed?

That’s interesting. I need to get both water and electric across a road. What’s the best way to try to achieve this ?

I applied to both electric and water separately (no gas and didn’t need sewer) and told them I wanted to co ordinate the digs. They make you pay up front in case there’s a problem and you need two trenches, but all being well, once you have paid, the two companies will speak to each other and sort the days out and the road closures etc. You then get a rebate after it’s done and dusted. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Canski said:

That’s interesting. I need to get both water and electric across a road. What’s the best way to try to achieve this ?

You will need to contact your water supplier and electric supplier at the same time  , they will both send you a quote for the works and the road closure / traffic management, you will need to pay upfront for both road closures /traffic management, once your local authority agrees a date for the works they may insist they collaborate with each other to save local distribution, you will then get back one of the road closure / traffic  management fees . 

Our water and electric shared a road closure but nothing else.

Anglian water spent 2 days digging a trench across the road and reinstating followed by uk power network moving 4m across and spent 2 days digging a trench and reinstating. 

42 minutes ago, Canski said:

Very dependant on how cooperative your utilities are.

I got both water and electric to quote for the road crossing.  Water gave the cheapest price for the road crossing so while they had the road up for the water I dropped in a black duct and appropriate warning tape for electric.  Then got electric to re quote as road crossing was done and duct was in place.

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

Close to a busy main road, so hopefully that will help. 

Not necessarily. If the mains are on your side then that is good and relatively cheap. If they are across the road then there may be trenches and traffic lights....if it is a busy trunk road...ouch. 

It is easy to get quotes and they will attach drawings showing where the mains are. 

37 minutes ago, ProDave said:

so while they had the road up for the water I dropped in a black duct and appropriate warning tape for electric.  Then got electric to re quote as road crossing was done and duct was in place.

The guy from the electric company yesterday told me that they would have to dig the trench on my land and that I couldn’t lay a duct for them. I don’t think he was the sort of guy who would allow a duct across the road. 

3 hours ago, IronMike said:

Hi 

An obvious question but why have you waited so long to do this? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Canski said:

The guy from the electric company yesterday told me that they would have to dig the trench on my land and that I couldn’t lay a duct for them. I don’t think he was the sort of guy who would allow a duct across the road. 

Yeah Openreach told me something similar, I would have to have an overhead line etc etc.

We ran the right wire to the bottom of the pole underground when we did the electric and the engineers that (eventually) came to install our line were happy to use it.

Local companies that sell duct usually know what the DNO want. Eg must be smooth bore solid duct not twin wall. 3/8" polypropylene draw rope.  

also depends on the type of road, major A roads could be 5 figures to permit, traffic management, sunday working etc .

good luck getting them to share a trench on the same day. Never had any luck with that as the firm that seals the trench is also responsible for maintaining it for 5 years after. 

I had a ‘collaboration’ agreed in principle between water and electricity networks but it fell through at the last minute. Electricity DNO dropped off a duct in preparation for the job. When the water contractor dug up the road, I asked them nicely if they would put the duct in for me. Initially they said they are not allowed so I asked if I could do it … “gis it here” said the man. DNO refunded the road crossing cost. Coincidentally the trench is being repaired next week, after two years it’s breaking up

5 hours ago, IronMike said:

Hi 

Also building soon in Hertfordshire, off a country lane. I spoke to UK power networks just this week and theya re sending a surveyor on wednesday to quote for the temporary supply & subsequent house supply. No cost for this survey and they will provide a written quote. No brainer really just ask them to come and survey your plot.

I dont know about water, they have not responded yet.

11 minutes ago, IronMike said:

First development, so learning as I go along. 

Do you need a drainage connection? Ours has caused us so much grief and has delayed us from moving in.

Get them done ASAP as in our experience they were, in summer 2022, way behind their quoted timescales for connections particularly the electricity connection which caused us all sorts of problems at the time mainly due to their incompetence. 

We had no gas but water was about £650 and electricity about £1000 of which we got £300 back following a complaint. Surface water drain cost us more. We used our own contractors to dig and the holes which cost about another £1000 in total for all three. 

Edited by Happy Valley