Pallet shed

22 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

what would be a sufficient membrane in this case then? some tarpaulin?

Dunno, I'd search "heavy duty UV stabilised weed fabric / membrane" or similar.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Onoff said:

search

Yes. Some fabric fails in light (obv not fit for purpose), and creates a dreadful, unclearable mess of plastic in the ground.

Any fabric that is uv stable will say so on the wrapping and the manufacturer's website.

You would expect any known brand or stocked by BM to be OK, but ask.

The unwoven ones are generally better at weed resistance as the roots of seedlings can't wriggle down  between the weaves.

On the mess. The similar looking fabric used for big bags of aggregate tend to fall apart too, so check them occasionally.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Yes. Some fabric fails in light (obv not fit for purpose), and creates a dreadful, unclearable mess of plastic in the ground.

Any fabric that is uv stable will say so on the wrapping and the manufacturer's website.

You would expect any known brand or stocked by BM to be OK, but ask.

The unwoven ones are generally better at weed resistance as the roots of seedlings can't wriggle down  between the weaves.

On the mess. The similar looking fabric used for big bags of aggregate tend to fall apart too, so check them occasionally.

Thank you. What is BM?

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

Dunno, I'd search "heavy duty UV stabilised weed fabric / membrane" or similar.

The ones I found are all on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LawnScape-Membrane-Stabilized-Underdecks-Walkways/dp/B08N6GYZ3L

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LawnScape-Membrane-Stabilized-Underdecks-Walkways/dp/B08GSVDVQ5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuzet-09-001003-01-00-Control-Membrane-Landscape/dp/B006H1MC6Q

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Travis Perkins, Selco etc are nationwide builders merchants as opposed to say B&Q, Homebase that are diy stores. You'll likely have an independent merchant near you.

should I visit some local garden centres instead? I checked Travis Perkins but they don't have such membranes.

Edited by JohnBishop

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

I see I will need to use wooden posts in some places.

Around doors and windows you just cut back the pallet and let in a length of timber. Often you can re-use the bit of the pallet you cut off as it'll be at the right width and not need ripping along it's length. Double up if worried about strength. Over wide windows you might want a longer length you may have to buy in/rip down. 

See the very short pallet on the right? That was cut down at the door and a piece let in and screwed on. 

2023-04-26_06-57-18

If you do want add in posts though use 6×150 screws or similar. Depends what way you're screwing. Might want too to get yourself some extra long 6mm drill bits for clearance through the posts. 

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

On 26/04/2023 at 07:05, Onoff said:

Around doors and windows you just cut back the pallet and let in a length of timber. Often you can re-use the bit of the pallet you cut off as it'll be at the right width and not need ripping along it's length. Double up if worried about strength. Over wide windows you might want a longer length you may have to buy in/rip down. 

See the very short pallet on the right? That was cut down at the door and a piece let in and screwed on. 

2023-04-26_06-57-18

If you do want add in posts though use 6×150 screws or similar. Depends what way you're screwing. Might want too to get yourself some extra long 6mm drill bits for clearance through the posts. 

Right, so if you are saying that M6 is fine to hold the post maybe I should use M6 across the board rather than M8?
This would simplify drilling otherwise I need long M6 and M8 drill bits.

58 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

Right, so if you are saying that M6 is fine to hold the post maybe I should use M6 across the board rather than M8?
This would simplify drilling otherwise I need long M6 and M8 drill bits.

Use whatever you've got. A sketch of what you intend here and there would help. This is make it up as you go along land don't forget! 

I'd use penny washers with M6. With M6 you'll be able also to use flat wood bits and counterbore the timber so the washer/nut sits flush. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is the design of the shed based on the EU pallets.
There will be EU pallets supporting the structure and the empty spaces I will have to fill in with some lighter pallets and cut to size.
It has been adjusted to the PCV windows and doors I have.

2023-08-1221_04_46-shed2.png.ca5de2e242b52385a0e6194cc36d01da.png2023-08-1221_06_41-shed2.thumb.png.e630b650e3eb1021f44013178eb2654b.png2023-08-1221_06_17-shed2.png.3e8c8378fc8a7232c04017c95d4b9507.png2023-08-1221_05_52-shed2.png.0ec9c0ffd528905f3a48b44d35794c40.png

Same with the garden office where I have double doors and a wider PVC window. The size is the same as the shed.

2023-08-1221_07_38-garden_office.png.d1c4e195d7a3b13a19785c3eefa24c28.png2023-08-1221_07_11-garden_office.png.935357ce18c48a5be2a042bbf5bd2f5e.png

Edited by JohnBishop
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JohnMo said:

One of the reasons I used plasterboard pallets, high wall I made 2.4m high (2 x 1.2m), all others are cut down. Makes life easy for yourself. 

I have these EUR pallets already so I will need to improvise. I could put the 2nd pallet in vertical orientation to get to 2.4m however with the concrete blocks underneath I will be well over 2.5m limit.

My structure is above ground.

Edited by JohnBishop

• 1 month later...

Ok, I am going back into this project.
I am about to order some threaded rods, nuts and penny washers from https://directchannel.uk.com/

I decided to go with M6 size.
I don't see galvanised rods available only stainless steel and BZP Bright Zinc Plated.
There are galvanised nuts and washers.
Can I order BZP rods or source galvanised ones from somewhere else?
I looked around but in other shops it's even more expensive or I cannot find smaller sized like M6 for instance but M12+.

I also don't really know how to join the floor with the walls. I think I use some plates.