Octopus energy launch 'their own' Heat pump

1 minute ago, Post and beam said:

Does anyone know any more about this. Is it a badge engineered model that we would know by another name?

Almost certainly will be, could be a Chinese model so we may not "know" it though.

If images of it start to emerge I am sure people will soon work it out.

They're offering one as a spot prize in today's saving session - "or £4000 cash", which might be a hint as to the price they want them to go for.

I very vaguely recall them saying they were going to use CO2 as the refrigerant but can't remember where from.

Their offerings are here https://octopus.energy/get-a-heat-pump/

Standard install for £3K including the £5K grant.  So I read that as the customer pays £3K, Octopus get £8K total.

This bit is interesting:

"Connects to most existing piping systems and high temperature radiators"

I will be interested to see if they live up to expectations or not. 

And that's the deal, if standard install is £3k + maybe a grand or so if I wanted a bigger cylinder and few extras then I'd gladly stand back and let them get on with it.  The key is, if they can get the correct standard of qualified subbie who knows what to do and how to do it to, in a new build at first fix it shouldnt be a trivial task, key is in the heat loss calcs and specifying of the unit. 

I would like to think that a company like Octopus would be a better proposition than the shiny suited renewables salesmen, who now also want to start charging 350-400 for a heat loss calc.

I've done a couple of the more popular heat loss calc spreadsheets and they both come to about 5kW so within the 'standard' install parameter, but I will want a larger cylinder that's for certain.

I guess we might find out what the brand is one day, but I'm in a situation now where I wonder if I can carry on chugging away with the plumbing and install the supply and return pipework to my UFH manifold (different locations) without actually knowing what heatpump or Heating source I may or may not install in the future.

Just now, Post and beam said:

Do You mean the Octopus Pump? Its the RED ' Renewable Energy Devices' pump. Looks quite good actually

I didn't actually know about the RED stuff until today, reading through whatever I can today I like what they are trying to do, and I wouldn't mind one of their Daleks sitting outside...

16 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I didn't actually know about the RED stuff until today, reading through whatever I can today I like what they are trying to do, and I wouldn't mind one of their Daleks sitting outside...

I am concerned that they are a relatively new, and small, company.

Heat pumps are mature technology, so nothing game changing is going to happen.

The problems will come with the control systems and inexperienced installers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Thomas said:

They're offering one as a spot prize in today's saving session - "or £4000 cash", which might be a hint as to the price they want them to go for.

I very vaguely recall them saying they were going to use CO2 as the refrigerant but can't remember where from.

I think current installs are Daikin, based on the prize draw t&C's:

> The prize will be the installation of a Daikin heat pump (model EDLA-e or EDLA HP)

Enquired about this as we current have a gas combi that has been relocated and is being adapted to run 35 degree UFH, with the next stage being a UVC with a solar diverter. 

Octopus are not interested until our renovation work is complete. It does not sound like they want to get involved or start doing their surveys, thermal calcs etc based on our specifications. Bit of a shame but they have given outline spec for space allowances for UVC etc. 

I was hoping to get everything constructed inside ready to plug an ASHP outside, ideally when the boiler dies or funds allow. Oh well. 

I have had two separate attempts to get a quote this week. On both attempts they have replied that there is some parameter that excludes me. 

Looks like they are not actually up to speed with their marketing department. And that the RED ashp is not rolling off the line as fast as they might hope.

"I am sorry for the delay in getting you your quote. Due to the unique nature of your house ( the fact it is so well insulated and eco friendly ) we are having to do manual calculations in order to accurately design the system for your property rather than using our software systems to help."

Hello, Octopus did an ASHP survey ( 3.5 hours) a few weeks ago and sent the above email 2 days ago. I fitted a direct UVC + IBoost to harvest excess solar PV. Works really well, so asked the Surveyor if we could keep that and have the ASHP to run our radiators only. This would require only one radiator to be increased in size. He felt it would not be possible as Octopus supply a "standard kit" I will post details of my quotation when it arrives for your very welcome crits

On 15/02/2023 at 12:10, Post and beam said:

I have had two separate attempts to get a quote this week. On both attempts they have replied that there is some parameter that excludes me. 

Looks like they are not actually up to speed with their marketing department. And that the RED ashp is not rolling off the line as fast as they might hope.

I tried too but they don’t cover my part of Scotland yet. (Perthshire) 

On 13/02/2023 at 13:59, Nick Thomas said:

very vaguely recall them saying they were going to use CO2 as the refrigerant but can't remember where from.

I do hope not as a lot of engineers aren’t set up to support CO2 based heat pumps as they need different pressure setups and are not easy to work on 

33 minutes ago, lakelandfolk said:
"I am sorry for the delay in getting you your quote. Due to the unique nature of your house ( the fact it is so well insulated and eco friendly ) we are having to do manual calculations in order to accurately design the system for your property rather than using our software systems to help."

Hello, Octopus did an ASHP survey ( 3.5 hours) a few weeks ago and sent the above email 2 days ago. I fitted a direct UVC + IBoost to harvest excess solar PV. Works really well, so asked the Surveyor if we could keep that and have the ASHP to run our radiators only. This would require only one radiator to be increased in size. He felt it would not be possible as Octopus supply a "standard kit" I will post details of my quotation when it arrives for your very welcome crits

Although not particularly great for you, that is great feedback for others.  3.5 hours survey, should be nice and thorough then.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, My Octopus ASHP quotation has landed. Not sure if it is allowed but I am happy to post some of it for your crits. It's over 25 pages but I have cut out all the legal/marketing stuff and have about 10 pages of tech info. A couple of issues at first reading are they have recommended rad upgrades that appear to offer very little extra output at a very high cost. Also,  I installed a direct UVC and Solar I Boost about 9 months ago and it is working really well and I would like to keep it but Octopus say it must come out. I thought an ASHP installation could be designed to operate CH only?  Let me know if it is OK to post selected info from the quote, I don't want to cause any problems, data protection etc. I will try to scan and post the relevant pages which will not include name/address etc. Might be a challenge for me but I will give it a go.