Internal cills

eandg

Had vaguely thought we'd have some nice birch plywood reveals (all round) but bit concerned about the rising costs of the material and now we'll need to start thinking about our reveals and cills. What did you use and would you recommend?

1 hour ago, eandg said:

What did you use and would you recommend?

Birch ply worked well on our windows, but you will need a track saw to make a decent job of it. My wife spotted a post on build hub which we copied using birch play.

IMG-20201127-WA0003.thumb.jpg.2227b3b45946503ff7f14392db48b69a.jpg

Edited by Simon R
Missed photo attach
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Simon R said:

Birch ply worked well on our windows, but you will need a track saw to make a decent job of it. My wife spotted a post on build hub which we copied using birch play.

Your blog was the inspiration for our plans - looks fantastic. Did you manage to fit any insulation in behind the ply?

20 hours ago, eandg said:

Did you manage to fit any insulation in behind the ply?

Thanks, it was worth the effort and saw dust. Regarding insulation, our build is ICF so the inside is fully insulated. The JUB ICF system provides a really well insulated window opening.

On 10/02/2023 at 15:56, Simon R said:

Current clients have done the same thing, in various guises, and looks really smart. They got varnished this week and the grain looks really different, almost 3D when the sun shines across it, with huge depth to the grain. A huge amount of time / labour, and materials costs I looked into for another job were eye-watering, but what the heart wants, it gets :).

Some may only get to self-build once, so things like this separate their build from the one down the road by a mile IMHO.

Timely thread. Something i need to add to my action log and start thinking about. The slight difficulty is our windows will be clear coat on the inside so we either need to match the timber of the windows or be quite different. I quite fancy a stone of some sort 

@Simon R did you get your plywood online or from a local merchant? Also thinking about using offcuts of larch cladding (which we're using externally) but not sure if that's a bit of a mad idea? I like continuity and a very restrained palette of materials and resumably with a bit of sanding and some oil it should work functionally.

17 hours ago, eandg said:

did you get your plywood online or from a local merchant?

I got it from Totton Timber in Southampton, I'm inside their delivery territory.  I had a choice of two local merchants and went with Totton as they had the best saw equipment, an automated computer controlled table. For a heck of a lot of cuts they charged me £30 on top of the material.

Using bits of your Larch cladding may be tricky from a point of view of stability, birch ply is very good both in stiffness and dimensional stability.

Edited by Simon R

On 11/02/2023 at 19:32, Nickfromwales said:

A huge amount of time / labour, and materials costs I looked into for another job were eye-watering

Are you referring to ply here? Why would this necessarily be expensive in material costs? I know premium grade ply is ££ but you will get quite a few cills out of one sheet!