What colour windows?

jayc89

We're about to place an order to replace the windows in the original part of our house. The house dates back to 1850(ish) so would have been sash originally, we can't afford, nor do we want to go back to proper sash, but quite like the look of Rationel FormaPlus in a "mock-sash" style, like this;

Outward-Opening-Fake-Sliding-Sash-3.thumb.jpg.53f359c4edea409ca39417047feec3ce.jpg

Our Architect has proposed a mix of grey render and larch cladding for our extension, which we like, and has shown the replacement windows as also being "grey";

737663443_Screenshot2023-02-01at07_56_49.thumb.png.4b837ad2b3466b7d7c0b1fc0287990e8.png

But we're concerned that might be a bit too much for the existing part of the house, which currently looks like this;

600523461_Screenshot2023-02-01at07_54_06.thumb.png.9614ab77bd8ff24cf9cc22ce8ac13636.png

The upstairs windows will remain the same size, to avoid any structural work up there, the downstairs openings will be pulled in to the same width, but be slightly taller than the upstairs openings. 

What would you suggest as an appropriate RAL colour for the windows going into the existing building?

Traditional-Glazing-Bars-on-New-Rationel-Window.jpg

Subtle-Bathroom-Privacy-Glass.jpg

6 minutes ago, deancatherine09 said:

We've gone RAL 7016 Black Grey

Wanted Jet black but 'Dark Grey' was specified on the planning app and so to avoid a delay in discharge of conditions we wanted something was called 'Grey' so the pen pushers at the council would OK it.

It looks black in person.

I managed to persuade our architect to remove our working from "slate grey" to just "grey" on all our applications, for the same reason, it gives us some flexibility. Luckily, the planning officer approved - I think it's the only thing she didn't object to at one time or another!

8 minutes ago, deancatherine09 said:

We've gone RAL 7016 Black Grey

Wanted Jet black but 'Dark Grey' was specified on the planning app and so to avoid a delay in discharge of conditions we wanted something was called 'Grey' so the pen pushers at the council would OK it.

It looks black in person.

7016 is anthracite. My sample definitely isn’t anywhere near black as I also have a black sample. 

On 01/02/2023 at 08:00, jayc89 said:

We're about to place an order to replace the windows in the original part of our house. The house dates back to 1850(ish) so would have been sash originally, we can't afford, nor do we want to go back to proper sash, but quite like the look of Rationel FormaPlus in a "mock-sash" style, like this;

Outward-Opening-Fake-Sliding-Sash-3.thumb.jpg.53f359c4edea409ca39417047feec3ce.jpg

Our Architect has proposed a mix of grey render and larch cladding for our extension, which we like, and has shown the replacement windows as also being "grey";

737663443_Screenshot2023-02-01at07_56_49.thumb.png.4b837ad2b3466b7d7c0b1fc0287990e8.png

But we're concerned that might be a bit too much for the existing part of the house, which currently looks like this;

600523461_Screenshot2023-02-01at07_54_06.thumb.png.9614ab77bd8ff24cf9cc22ce8ac13636.png

The upstairs windows will remain the same size, to avoid any structural work up there, the downstairs openings will be pulled in to the same width, but be slightly taller than the upstairs openings. 

What would you suggest as an appropriate RAL colour for the windows going into the existing building?

Traditional-Glazing-Bars-on-New-Rationel-Window.jpg

Subtle-Bathroom-Privacy-Glass.jpg

Retain the same colour or as close as possible, my personal opinion is changing the colour will lose the character.

On 01/02/2023 at 10:18, Dave Jones said:

it is.

common as dog muck at the moment. 

Has been for over a decade, the architects colour of choice tbh. I hate it, I see it everyday but it generally works with everything. 

On 01/02/2023 at 10:18, Dave Jones said:

Common as dog muck at the moment

Keeps its colour better though.

15 years ago I had trouble getting this colour, which had many names, but I insisted. So the popularity may be my fault.

Although as a sprayed colour on pvc it turned a lovely lilac.

I agree that the windows should match the existing for some continuity.

Our larch is getting treated with the clear SiOO:X stuff which will hopefully silver very uniformly. We’ll see. But the anthracite goes with the silverisation colour really well. Inside is clear lacquer everywhere other than the front door and coupling vision panel which will be dusty grey. 

I have 7015 slate grey, slightly lighter than anthracite, so not so common as muck and happy with it.

I agree with @craig, a dark grey would spoil the character. Why don’t you have two colours, light grey (7032?) in the old part and a darker shade in the modern extension? https://enlightenedwindows.co.uk/tag/ral-7032-pebble-grey/

why is everyone so obsessed with what's fashionable? are you building for them or for yourselves? choose a colour that YOU like and that works. don't worry about what 'fashion' dictates. the beauty of self-building is you can be as individualistic as you like (within the limits of the planning department of course!)

• Like 2