Best smart doorbell?

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Guess so

i plan to put a zigbee socket on the chimer . This should be able to register load - so chime activated is a recognisable state .

🤮 to that. Even if you can notice the change in load, it will be quite high latency and then the zigbee has to communicate to base. Be prepared to get to the door after the visitor has walked away.

Hot-wiring the chime sounds more promising, but still vulgar. 

Looks like since Nov 22 there's some side-loadable Firmware available for it that adds ONVIF "Visitor" notifications to it, so with a suitably advanced ONVIF client you should be able to get the notifications purely in SW

https://community.reolink.com/topic/4412/homeassistant-and-reolink-doorbell-poe

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/homeassistant-and-reolink-doorbell-poe/485857

https://github.com/JimStar/reolink_cctv/

If it works this is actually best approach, as it also provides a path for "Face detection" notifications and (hopefully, one day?) 2-way communication with the camera. (obviously caveat emptor about installing sketchy FW images you find knocking about on the internet.)

Let us know when yours arrives and how you get on, I might order one just to play with for some other house build projects I'm helping on.

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, joth said:

🤮 to that. Even if you can notice the change in load, it will be quite high latency and then the zigbee has to communicate to base. Be prepared to get to the door after the visitor has walked away.

Hot-wiring the chime sounds more promising, but still vulgar. 

Looks like since Nov 22 there's some side-loadable Firmware available for it that adds ONVIF "Visitor" notifications to it, so with a suitably advanced ONVIF client you should be able to get the notifications purely in SW

https://community.reolink.com/topic/4412/homeassistant-and-reolink-doorbell-poe

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/homeassistant-and-reolink-doorbell-poe/485857

https://github.com/JimStar/reolink_cctv/

If it works this is actually best approach, as it also provides a path for "Face detection" notifications and (hopefully, one day?) 2-way communication with the camera. (obviously caveat emptor about installing sketchy FW images you find knocking about on the internet.)

Let us know when yours arrives and how you get on, I might order one just to play with for some other house build projects I'm helping on.

Agree ! My solution is ‘ crude ‘ . But it would work . Doorbird has a “ if bell button pushed send url “ . As you can imagine this makes interfacing to HA easy . In terms of latency with zigbee is unknown ( hopefully better than z wave ) . 
Doorbird remotely I.e trying to have a 2 way conversation is literally impossible- but that’s due to internet latency rather than intranet . Assume reolink would suffer the same fate .

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Shame the new Loxone intercom is £527 ex VAT!!

Also, it doesn't look anything like a doorbell so many people fail to find/use it 🙄

(Like the old Loxone intercom, it'd look more at home on a Swiss apartment)

1 hour ago, joth said:

Also, it doesn't look anything like a doorbell so many people fail to find/use it 🙄

(Like the old Loxone intercom, it'd look more at home on a Swiss apartment)

Well it has a bell on it. 😂 The first gen intercom is an awful looking thing more suited to a block of flats. 

6 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Well it has a bell on it. 😂 The first gen intercom is an awful looking thing more suited to a block of flats. 

Same issue with doorbird . Often delivery drivers don’t think it’s a doorbell ( not sure what they think it is  ! ) 

Got my reolink video doorbell from Amazon de 

Only quickly tested but seems very good for the money. See no reason it won't work with BluIris.

Will use the supplied chimer for now - but once I get zigbee stuff sorted will have it trigger my own method for chime.

Not installed it at my door yet as wish to be a bit more convinced before I do that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Conor said:

@pocster how are you getting on with the doorbell? Does it work ok with the cloud apps etc? Don't suppose you have it linked to an NVR?

Not installed it tbh . The reolink app seems pretty good . Can’t see an issue with it linking to bluiris I.e my equivalent to an nvr . For the money real good - much better than over priced doorbird I have .

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed my German-sourced version. Works fine. 10 mins to install in software, 1 day to run the cable. Would prefer it if it came in white and had a gasket behind to ward off damp. The 15 degrees wedge was a bit much, so I might 3d print a 5 or 10 degree version. Yet to really see how it does on object detection and the doorbell answering feature when I'm away. There's an option to turn on or off the highlight led at night. Looks a bit creepy when you can just see the dull red of the IR LEDs with the highlight LED off - so that's good for security :).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Having looking into this more the 1 Home bridge only integrates to assistants like Alexa rather integrating one HA system with another so doubt it fixes the problem. 

I have bought a second hand Mobotix T25 video doorbell which you can connect to Loxone. 

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, canalsiderenovation said:

@Pocster any update re Reolink? We have finally got a POE booster in our living room which means we can get wifi outside now and SWMBO wants a video doorbell cam on our brick posts as we should have our electric gates soon....

Yes !

it’s not been an issue .

Only obvious limitation is if you do wish to speak to person at the door via the camera and app and are not home then a delay .

For the money and size better than previous video doorbells imho .

• Like 1

Yeah, Reolink doorbell seems good and no subscription. I've had a bunch of Reolink devices in two locations since 2019 and they're good.

Have not looked for a while but you couldn't buy an additional ringer when they first came out. Apparently, KERUI M525 chimes will work though.

Thanks both, if we can sort out the wifi I'll order. Had to return our WiFi extender as it just isn't strong enough after all that, initially looked promising but barely good enough to browse Amazon let alone video calling, damn that foil insulation!

Got a Powerline adapter ordered and I'm hoping this will be more successful.....

15 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Thanks both, if we can sort out the wifi I'll order. Had to return our WiFi extender as it just isn't strong enough after all that, initially looked promising but barely good enough to browse Amazon let alone video calling, damn that foil insulation!

Got a Powerline adapter ordered and I'm hoping this will be more successful.....

Is it too late for you to run ethernet and do proper APs?

34 minutes ago, oliwoodings said:

Is it too late for you to run ethernet and do proper APs?

Unfortunately to the garage or elsewhere yes (the garage is some 30 metres away). We do have 3 ethernet sockets elsewhere in the house (lounge and bedroom) but the extenders had little impact once outside. I've ordered this one and my plan is to put one wired into the ethernet in the lounge and then the WiFi one either in the bedroom which is the room closest to the gate or perhaps the garage (although I'm not sure if the garage will work, it is double bricked with insulation albeit not foil)

Screenshot_20240326_230842_Chrome.thumb.jpg.73d0bf39e43316d997d1c5ea84baf98e.jpg

If this doesn't work I'm all out of options and already have 4 different types from Amazon to return! SWMBO is convinced someone will hit our new and expensive gates or wall when in all liklihood the person most likely to do that is me and I'd rather not have evidence of it! We had unusually large farm type gates/opening of almost 20ft and once the new ones are in it will be 13ft and at the moment I'm avoiding leaving the house as I can't reverse between the brick posts (yes I am crap driver)....

Once all the sh!t gets moved there will be space to turn around so I won't need to reverse and the gates and brick posts will be a lot safer!

Edited by canalsiderenovation

If you have loft access which I believe you might, you can put a data cable up there going out of the facia board to a TP link external device. 
we are able to pick up the house wi fi from a great distance across the garden, well beyond 30m, but not measured it. 

• Like 2