Best smart doorbell?

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you have loft access which I believe you might, you can put a data cable up there going out of the facia board to a TP link external device. 
we are able to pick up the house wi fi from a great distance across the garden, well beyond 30m, but not measured it. 

I've been up the loft on a mission to see where the cables are. If we can't get anything to work with that kit then we may have to get an electrician to come and sort in the loft as that's beyond my skills!

3 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I've been up the loft on a mission to see where the cables are. If we can't get anything to work with that kit then we may have to get an electrician to come and sort in the loft as that's beyond my skills!

I have 4 wi fi points in the house. 
but we also have 2 external points under the soffit, should be good for 50m radius around the house. 

No chance of ‘shallow’ ducting and threading an external grade cat 5/6 cable to the location of the video doorbell . I know a pita but if you can do that and get the cable into your main build ( via loft / hole in wall ) you’ll have obviously the best connection . Power line plugs are a bit of try and hope . You might be lucky . I would suggest when you try the power line plugs you speed test at each end to see just how well they are doing relative to your isp quoted speed .

Edited by Pocster

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

No chance of ‘shallow’ ducting and threading an external grade cat 5/6 cable to the location of the video doorbell . I know a pita but if you can do that and get the cable into your main build ( via loft / hole in wall ) you’ll have obviously the best connection . Power line plugs are a bit of try and hope . You might be lucky . I would suggest when you try the power line plugs you speed test at each end to see just how well they are doing relative to your isp quoted speed .

No not without running it down the rendered walls and then across a large driveway. If the powerlines don't work then the video doorbell is a no! 

11 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

No not without running it down the rendered walls and then across a large driveway. If the powerlines don't work then the video doorbell is a no! 

No ‘edge’ to the driveway so you could duct ( above or below ground ) ?

Have another internet connection installed at the garage - then it’s all cloud based 🫤😊

• Thanks 1

What about a WiFi bridge ?

https://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-rocket-m5-ac-pointtopoint-wireless-bridgebase-station-p-6258.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwh4-wBhB3EiwAeJsppAu1ypJmsw2qKT8OqJ224j83XuC2IG1755UfcVB8t7cp182gu3rJShoCRjsQAvD_BwE&gad_source=1

for example . Line of sight would be best . Buy them on Amazon , test , return if shite ( Amazon is  good for these things ; test and fail …. )

• Thanks 1

I just did an netgear access point, fits inside a wiska waterproof junction box, data cable and 5v power supply cabling to it.

provide Wi-Fi to Shelly for car charger, ring front door bell and ring camera.

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2024 at 07:29, Russell griffiths said:

If you have loft access which I believe you might, you can put a data cable up there going out of the facia board to a TP link external device. 
we are able to pick up the house wi fi from a great distance across the garden, well beyond 30m, but not measured it. 

Very much this. The WiFi antennas in those powerline extenders are not that powerful compared to some of the proper long range gear you can get. E.g. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/outdoor-ap/eap110-outdoor/ or 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yay..... the poweline adapter has worked. One in the lounge connected to ethernet and one in the dressing room which is the furthest away room and the room closest to the gate. Tested it on a wifi WhatsApp call and it worked!

Going to order a reolink doorbell on Amazon and test that over Easter...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How did you guys get on with linking the reolink with normal chimes.

I'm looking for a hardrdwired cat5e video doorbell (no wifi). Would like to work the chimes Also see there is a ring elite version but it's a lot for a doorbell. Any other options? 

Edited by Alexphd1

Reolink WiFi wires in directly with a doorbell chime from the transformer. I didn't bother and used the plugin one provided as can put it in a better location. I'm not sure about the LAN version but not sure why you'd want it over the WiFi if you've a doorbell chime and power supply in place.