Induction hobs with extractor - Bora/Novy/Miele/Neff...?!

Morning all,

We're scratching our heads and unsure which way to turn when it comes to extractor induction hobs.  We would like a large hob with built in extractor, not the pop up type, and like the look of Bora/Novy/Miele/Elica - grateful for any real life experiences recommendations please?

Thanks in advance

We've just installed an IKEA kitchen with one of their induction hobs - it's our first induction hob but can't fault it, on boost it boils water incredibly quickly.  The only down side was that we had to pass on our Spring saucepans that we'd had for 40 years to our son as they wouldn't work - not enough steel in the base, they were a steel/copper sandwich construction.  Finding new pans turned out to be a pain.

I think IKEA do 2 widths of hobs, one standard sized and the other 200mm wider.  When we bought ours, the only option was the wider one and I think we would have gone for this one if there had been the choice.

Simon

• Like 1

We’ve got a Miele. No complaints.

Fan is noisy on boost but does what it was designed to do effectively. 

On one occasion it identified two small pans as one large one and automatically turned both cooking zones on instead of just the one zone I wanted. I found out the painful way that the empty pan on the rear zone was getting very very hot. 

Very easy to clean, no protrusions. All the grease filter bits go in the dishwasher, charcoal filter gets recharged in the oven. 

Whatever you go for (if you want to keep it looking good) get a hob protector from Lakeland - ours still looks mint. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Blooda said:

We have the Elica Switch recirculating, and its great.

If you haven't decided yet and you are close enough to Birmingham, a day at KBB show is worth it.

kbb Birmingham | Europe's Leading KBB Event

Ensure you lock up your wallet, there is a lot of high end stuff there, as well as the middle and lower ranges.

I have the same hob . It is amazingly good .

Induction hobs in general are great, had mine for years and you can really tell the difference even in the air over cooking on gas.

The built in extractors look good in practice, the ones i've seen in showrooms look slightly ugly (but then i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?), but i think my main concern would be my classic trick of spilling something, pan boiling over, or dropping food down the holes. No idea if thats even an issue or not?

Another Elica owner here. Fantastic piece of kit. Have it in white and looks class 

I've yet to figure out the temperature hold function (e.g 42c so you can souvette or 90c for slow cooking) and it's not in the manual. Other than that, 10/10.

We have induction, it's great!  Used to have gas, wouldn't go back.

The only thing gas does better, I have been told, is heating the whole of the underside of a curved bottom wok, rather than just the base.  Allegedly makes a difference with aggressive wok frying.

As an aside. we got a particulate detector a while back - the who says the yearly mean should be less than 5ug/m^3 of 2.5um particulates.  Burnt toast, frying aggressively, can both send it crazy, giving >1000ug/m^3.  Gently frying with oil, normal toast, boiling etc, it's safely below 5.

46 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Induction hobs in general are great, had mine for years and you can really tell the difference even in the air over cooking on gas.

The built in extractors look good in practice, the ones i've seen in showrooms look slightly ugly (but then i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?), but i think my main concern would be my classic trick of spilling something, pan boiling over, or dropping food down the holes. No idea if thats even an issue or not?

The elicia has a collection bin for liquids in the extractor exactly for this . There’s a drain tap underneath or you can remove the bin . It’s all easy to do .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, pocster said:

The elicia has a collection bin for liquids in the extractor exactly for this . There’s a drain tap underneath or you can remove the bin . It’s all easy to do .

Same with the IKEA one - you could have 4 IKEA ones in your kitchen for the price of the Elica!

Bramco

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Conor said:

Another Elica owner here. Fantastic piece of kit. Have it in white and looks class 

I've yet to figure out the temperature hold function (e.g 42c so you can souvette or 90c for slow cooking) and it's not in the manual. Other than that, 10/10.

If you find out please let me know.  But we maybe going to KBB and Elica are there so if we do I will find out from the rep.

1 hour ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

but i think my main concern would be my classic trick of spilling something, pan boiling over, or dropping food down the holes. No idea if thats even an issue or not?

With minor spillages the Elica seems evaporate them in the filter, for major spillages there is a sump and a sump plug you can access from the draw below [assuming you haven't blocked up access fully].

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pocster said:

Couldn’t see that ikea do an extraction induction hob …

Two!

60cm -> https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/foerdelaktig-induction-hob-integrated-extractor-ikea-500-black-50534854/

80cm -> https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/foerdelaktig-induction-hob-integrated-extractor-ikea-700-black-90534852/

But prices have gone up since we bought ours last year - now a 1/3 of the Elica....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bramco said:

Fair play .

Though when I got my elicia the only other extracting hob at the time was the bora .

26 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Ours in the one ‘bargain’ I’ve managed to secure as it was an over order by the kitchen supplier. A Neff N70. Otherwise we’d probably have gone with the Ikea. 

and how is the Neff? obviously you can't compare it to the Ikea/Bora/a.n.other but is the Neff good?

• Like 1