Tv above a wood burner ?

5Kw stove and the wife wants the tv recessed into the fake chimney above the stove. There will be an oak mantle above the stove and the stove is sitting inside the chimney. twin wall flue a foot from the top of the stove and everything is fine for regulation distances but has anyone done the tv above the stove and the tv survived the heat?

Apart from the heat problem I always thought that we should not look at screens above our normal field of vision. Indeed they are supposed to be slightly below it. That is why tv units are so low. Surely above the mantlepiece is too high for comfortable viewing?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Barryscotland said:

5Kw stove and the wife wants the tv recessed into the fake chimney above the stove. There will be an oak mantle above the stove and the stove is sitting inside the chimney. twin wall flue a foot from the top of the stove and everything is fine for regulation distances but has anyone done the tv above the stove and the tv survived the heat?

Focal point is the fire, don't ruin it with a TV. 

We have one above our wood burner. Took a while to get used to its height as our last one was on a stand, but it's fine now. I believe you should have a mantle between the stove and the TV to deflect the heat, we haven't fitted ours yet and haven't had a problem (yet). 

If I was to do it again, the benefits of being able to hide the wires and claim back floor space outweighs the visuals of a fire so I don't think I'd have a fire and TV on the same wall, meaning we could mount the TV slightly lower. 

Hmm, maybe measure the temperature in that position when the stove has been going full pelt for a few hours? I'm seeing 50 C numbers from random Googling for 'max temperature for a flat screen TV' - but there will probably be actual data in the datasheet for that particular TV.

I know above our stove is 'properly hot'. Maybe some kind of baffle to deflect the hot air might come into the thinking? Actually checking my missive for BC when I installed ours - I was getting 30 C at the wall closest to the top of the stove. So, at that kind of temperature - maybe you might manage to keep the wife happy 😎.

I don't have a fireplace, or a TV.

I did sneak a glance at the Radio Times at the supermarket, had the same cover it did in the 1960's, except in colour.

There was an old story by Rob Newman about putting on his headphones, borrowing a magazine from @pocster, and pleasuring himself in his bed room.

He opened his eyes and his Mother had placed a cup of tea beside him.

NTSC/PAL (Television) Video Glasses ID: 1452 - $109.95 : Adafruit ...

Edited by SteamyTea

@Barryscotland A friend has something similar to the set up you're describing.

TV seems unnaturally high on the wall to me but that's something you can perhaps get used to. What they do have is a 150mm deep timber mantel over the stove position with a steel heat shield fixed to the underside.

22 hours ago, Adsibob said:

@Barryscotland please do not mount a tv above a fire place or wood burner. It looks pants.

Suggest you read this, that covered the issues in some detail:

Unfortunately with the room design it’s the only way to get a stove in the room. It was meant to go in the centre of the windowed gable but that’s all structural timber on the wall and a ridge beam at the top an if we kink to the side of the ridge beam the flue covers a chunk of window. 

I think it can be made to look good and don’t see tv being any higher than it already is, was just the heat that was a concern. We have free wood and last gas bill was £320 so going to give it a try

3 hours ago, Barryscotland said:

I think it can be made to look good and don’t see tv being any higher than it already is,

How high will the top of the TV be from the floor? And have you chosen your sofa and tried watching it at that height from that sofa?