Petrol lawnmower

So my wee lad in all his wisdom decided to cut to close to tree stump and has bent the drive shaft. Took it all apart and it looks like the connection is pressed in so I can't get it off. It's close on 15 years old so owes me nothing so am on the hunt for a new petrol version. 

Needs to be at least 450mm cut and self propelled as it's a big garden. Any one have any recommendations.

43 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

So my wee lad in all his wisdom decided to cut to close to tree stump and has bent the drive shaft. Took it all apart and it looks like the connection is pressed in so I can't get it off. It's close on 15 years old so owes me nothing so am on the hunt for a new petrol version. 

Needs to be at least 450mm cut and self propelled as it's a big garden. Any one have any recommendations.

Honda are always good - I know the owner of a plant hire place and he only buys equipment that can withstand hire use - basically mainly a bunch of monkeys with no care in the world for the poor machines. Which is why I look at what he and take his advice on which tools are hire-proof therefore will last me a long long time!

He uses Honda and John Deere or kit with Briggs and Stratton engines - I also know the national trust almost always buy Honda mowers. The thing to bear in mind is that the engine and self drive gearbox is the critical bit really - If the deck seems well made and a good engine sits atop then the chances are it is a decent mower.

All the good ones last well if maintained and used with care.

I would probably not opt to straighten the shaft, is the shaft in fact the crankshaft that drops down via the drive gear for the self drive? or is it a second shaft after a "gearbox"? If it is the main crankshaft then it will probably be cast iron on a small engine like that, it has probably already fractured and could let go, trying to straighten it will almost certainly guarantee it will fail possibly with fatal consequences.

If it is a shaft from an intermediary gearbox then it could be machined steel in which case there is a chance it could be fixed but unless you can get it onto a lathe it is almost certainly going to destroy a bearing and tear itself apart as you will never get it straight enough.

Post some images.

I notice you can get Ryobi mowers with Subaru engines!!!

Edited by Carrerahill

I suppose I should pay attention to this. I hope to be borderline petrol/electric (due to 20m reach) so need to look at options too.

Not paying £350+ for a self propelled Honda IZY though. Is the push model too cumbersome? 

Is the shaft really bent? Does it run at all? what's the symptoms.

A previous mower I had, hit a bit of a stump. What happened was the motor stopped dead, but the inertia kept the flywheel going and it sheered the key that held the flywheel to the top of the shaft.  One new key and it ran again and went on for years until the deck rested away.

Our own mower packed up a few weeks ago, so SWMBO went into town with the objective to come back with the cheapest petrol mower she could find and came back with a "Challenge"  Good points it's got a plastic deck so it won't rust but I suspect it will find some other way to fall apart instead. Bad points it's a bit small at 42cm cut and the grass box is a bit small.

It's the actual shaft that comes out of the engine that the blade attaches to. Tried a few gentle taps with a hammer but no movement in it. 

It still runs fine but it's sitting at maybe 15 degrees so it hits the frame when it spins round. 

Out at the moment so will take a pic later

I don't think I'll get another petrol walk behind mower. Our garden is big and has a few fairly steep slopes; the drive has failed on all the self propelled mowers that I've tried, including the most recent, eye-wateringly expensive, so-called professional, Stiga Honda powered 55cm. They still cut, but as they're heavy they are a real pain to use once the drive has gone. Replacing the drive is disproportionately expensive. (The cast deck has lost chunks as well, which isn't reliability commensurate with the price.)

I decided to try a cheap mains mower for the lawns near the house (costs nothing to run). They work very well. Not self powered, but very light so they don't need it. With a 30M extension lead they will get anywhere that I need them and they cut perfectly adequately. They will take a fair amount of abuse, but they are so cheap that you can buy 1 a year over 10 years for the price of the Stiga.They're 43cm 1800W mowers from Aldi/Lidl for about £80. Of course, they're no good if you want over engineered, heavy mowers.

49 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

It's the actual shaft that comes out of the engine that the blade attaches to. Tried a few gentle taps with a hammer but no movement in it. 

It still runs fine but it's sitting at maybe 15 degrees so it hits the frame when it spins round. 

Out at the moment so will take a pic later

If it's destined for the skip anyway then hit it harder! What have you got to loose :) 

EDIT: Unless it's an excuse to buy a new shiny one. In which case put it in the skip quickly and look sad and mournful in front of the wife whilst explaining it could be a h&s risk if the shaft and blade flew off :D 

Edited by Barney12

Can't tell from the photo but sometimes the shear pins fail allowing the blade to rotate on the shaft and "ride up" over the broken pins making it a funny angle. 

I purchased a Honda powered "unbranded" mower from a DIY store when we were living abroad some 20 years ago. Engine has been faultless despite it never being serviced. Well I think I changed the oil once and perhaps cleaned but not replaced the air filter a few times. I don't know if there is anything like this still being made. Perhaps have a look in some of the UK DIY stores.

Only problem is the deck is now starting to rust through. One advantage of  a real Honda mower like the IZY is that you can get replacement decks for them if you really wanted (just over £100 on ebay). 

Screwfix has two mowers that use Briggs & Stratton engines and might be worth a look...

McCulloch M46-140WR at £199 (although see one negative review).

Mountfield SP185 at £250 

Amazon have a big 21" (530mm) Lawn-king (which I've never heard of) also with a Briggs & Stratton for £299.

Perhaps look at a second hand Honda mower Izy?

Things I would check on any mower...

* The size of the bag. Some are supplied with small bags but they sell optional bigger ones.

* The ease of getting the bag off when it's full. Many mowers have a deadman handle so you have to stop the mower, empty the bag, pull start it again. 

* The height adjuster. Some are a bit flimsy and require three levers to be moved, one for the rear wheels and one each for the fronts.

It's already been beat quite a bit to get it to that shape.

It hits the frame every 4-5 Revolution so it's not spinning any where near true so it looks like a dead duck.

The 2nd one in screwfix looks like it ticks a lot of boxes.

I used to have a business mowing lawns, cemeteries, parks etc and I would always choose Honda over b&s. Honda Izy is a good shout, if you are looking 2nd hand look at Etesia, they pick up the grass even when wet.

I paid £750 for an 18" Etesia mower with the same Honda engine in a £200-£300, but it was the best investment ever. 2nd hand they can be had for £2-300.

You can get 2stroke self propelled mowers which are good for steep banks etc

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Your missus is sorting it! :)

billt is right I don't need a petrol lawnmower as the max distance of lawn from house is only about 20m but I'm still interested. 

Will need something for next weekend to give it a cut.