Is it worth insulating a bathtub?

revelation

10 hours ago, twice round the block said:

If you get any form of leak, in the sealant or pipework, blockage in the trap your in for a whole load of grief if the area is pumped full of that stuff.

I was planning to foam the bath before fitting so, not directly over pipes or fittings

14 hours ago, revelation said:

I was planning to foam the bath before fitting so, not directly over pipes or fittings

Then what harm can it do 🤷‍♂️ Worth a try then you can report back here with your findings, can’t do any harm.

Edited by joe90

18 hours ago, TerryE said:

Great minds ... Jan thinks I am mad, but tolerates this one.

If I leave the bath full of water to cool, I get a damp house, unless I keep the extractor on, which defeats the object. Having MVHR would help.

A cubic metre of water costs me about £8. Cost about £6.50 to heat up at night.

Short, cold showers are really the answer, not the hot soak in the bath I prefer. 

I get all the health and wellbeing advantages of cold water swimming from a hot bath.

I insulated my steel bath with rockwool. I think it reduces the amount of energy lost heating up the bath tub when running the bath, but once the bath has been run I would imagine that a lot of the heat is lost via surface evaporation and the insulation makes little difference. It is worth doing if you have some insulation left over but I don't think it is a game changer in terms of saving energy. 

17 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Short, cold showers are really the answer, not the hot soak in the bath I prefer.

Hot showers are far more economical (unless you do them @ToughButterCup style🤣).  I am a little anal in my technique: I use about 5-10 ltr for a typical shower: a quick wet down; turn off shower and full body lather and rub down; leave lather on for at least 60 sec whilst flannelling; another wet down; flannel off any water and suds; a final slightly longer wet down, flannel off and towel down. 

Soap + 60sec contact + mechanical rubbing is better than an immersive soak (or just standing under a deluge shower) for getting rid of detritus, and surface bacteria and fungal spores.  

That being said, Jan took a tumble a couple of weeks back and she managed to crack a rib and tear some muscle and ligaments.  Time is the only remedy for this type of fall.  The pre-bedtime bath is better for getting a night's sleep during recovery.

14 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Takes 3x more scrubbing then, and that uses more hot water...

We've got a water softener and there's very little crap sticking the the bath.  I find a quick rub down with a cleaning flanel gets it off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TerryE said:

little anal flannelling

You went to Prep School as well then.

I have an irrational phobia with flannels.

Actually, not that irrational.  Having had to look, and smell, a line of damp, discoloured flannels, that were used every day, by teenage boys, to remove genitalia crud and discharge, I cannot have one in the house.

Matron never gave any of us bed baths either.

They never mentioned any of this in Tom Brown's School Days, or the Harry Potter books do they. 

I blame the parents.

image.png.257655b299e0844ebe84bb901dfdbdae.png

Edited by SteamyTea

The Great War poets are my favourite, though I have read a Larkin anthology decades ago.  That's not the High Windows that I remember though the lines are familiar Larkin, so I looked it up: This Be The Verse.  And nope, Direct Grant grammar school, then Cambridge, then the Royal Engineers before entering the real world.  🙂

My father similarly had an anathema to the use of face cloths that bordered on a phobia.  We just wash ours regularly, say about once a week, and because we have multiple ones, that's probably after ½ doz uses.  Yes they do harbour microbiota, but so I don't recommend sucking on one, but the moot issue is whether the stale oil and microbiota burden on the skin is reduced or increased by their use.

PS. @revelation sorry for this wandering digression, but this sort of friendly interchange between the regular posters is what makes this a community and keeps us helping everyone. 😉

Edited by TerryE

On 31/12/2022 at 04:15, TerryE said:

Hot showers are far more economical (unless you do them @ToughButterCup style🤣). ...

I think I'm right in saying that our shower has two flow-rates : 9 litres per minute and 18 per minute

(Hansgrohe RainDance )

The higher flow rate shower head delivers a warm and gentle massage for my dilapidated back, and for a more recent insult: a new bit of metal in my hip. 

A Definition :   Old age: where going to the bathroom almost always involves some form of first aid treatment. 

Edited by ToughButterCup