• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

68 Good

About jonM

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. You can get an 11.5kw Mitsubishi with a 250L Mitsubishi tank for £4600 + VAT from Secon. They are trade only but should give you an account if you let them know you are a self builder. If you have a Mitsubishi registered installer locally who will install the ASHP, then this would would work out a more cost effective approach. I have a ASHP with oversized radiators. The system works very well, but my house is well insulated and airtight.
  2. A lovely build and an inspiration for my own self build as I used many similar techniques.
  3. My delivery was 150 miles away. The first delivery driver seemed very unhappy with his job which may have gone someway to explaining the damage.
  4. It took 8 deliveries over an 8 week period for DIY Kitchens to get my order right. The first delivery had damage to 6 units. In spite of advertising to match appliance prices, they wouldn't match when I found some cheaper prices on the ovens. When I raised a ticket they said they had a 2 day sla to answer the ticket although I did eventually find an individual who helped me out more quickly. My support ticket had 21 updates on it ! couple of the girls on after sales did their best for me, but they seemed understaffed and the production side of things left a lot to be desired. The units that made up the island were 3mm out of square. One more point worth noting is that they won't zero rate the invoice to supply/fit the granite / quartz worktops if you order off them as they outsource this. If you have a local worktop place, that might be a better bet. I have self built 2 houses and they were the worst supplier I have dealt with. Problems do happen but it was really hard work trying to sort it all out. A It really screwed my schedule up and increased my labour cost. I did get some money back off them but it nowhere near covered my additional costs.
  5. We laid an unfinished engineered wood throughout the house and then applied an ultra matt waxoil finish Early days, but we are delighted with the results. We have previously used Karndean, but found that it would scratch.
  6. It depends on what the quote includes and the size of the house. My house was a stick built 174 sq.m house and to give you an idea the I-joists and glulam beams required cost £9200 ex vat.
  7. @JSHarris - I think you are right. The team that built the frame put the windows in and their attention to detail was excellent. I am not sure if 0.08 ACH makes a discernable difference to how comfortable the house is to live in compared to other houses built to passivhaus standards but it is reassuring to know that such care has been taken in this area.
  8. @jack - We just moved in this week ! Still a lot of boxes around to be unpacked. You are right, no sliders or bifolds which does help. Second pressure test also came in at 0.08 ACH @ 50 pa. We have a big picture window at the back with a window seat. Thought we would get more use from that than sliders A few bits and pieces still to finish off, but hope to be totally finished in 3-4 weeks apart from the garden. Will post another update as soon as my broadband gets hooked up.
  9. Thanks very much. The house is 174 sq.m. Completion to lockable shell of house including groundworks and foundations cost around £175,000 excluding professional fees. I didn't do any labour myself, just ordered the material in. We are just about to move in, so another blog posting is both over due and imminent ! Interior costs will come in at around £800 sq.m. Architect designed a house that looked good but was cost effective to build. I feel that his fees were a good investment.
  10. My conveyancing fees were £850 for my remortgage. It will work out at about £1100 when I sell my house.
  11. The highest scoring coffee machine in "Which" is a Delonghi scultura which is about a tenth of the price of a Jura It takes either ground coffee or capsules, so if you wanted to use coffee beans you would have to grind them yourselves, but then again if you only drink black coffee, much of the functionality in a bean to cup machine would go to waste. Bean to cup machines are also very big !
  12. Looks great. Well done on getting this far.
  13. We have a range cooker (gas hob / electric oven) at the moment. It has been a trusty workhorse which has done us well for 15 years but have gone for fan ovens and an induction hob in our new house. In terms of responsiveness, temperature control, features the latter seemed to win on an every score.
  14. Me neither. We have an isoquick slab and warranty.