Mandatory Electric Vehicle home charging points.

Marvin

As has been in the press:

From the 15th June 2022, new homes and buildings in England will be required to have EV charging points fitted.

BUT now more:

From December 30, 2022, new laws will be introduced to help electric car drivers charge their vehicles at home. The latest Schedule 1: Security compliance regulations are being applied at the end of the year, following on from the Electric Vehicles (Smart Charge Points) Regulations that came into force in June 2022. 

It will seek to ensure that any charge point should provide appropriate protection to the electricity system, the relevant charge point and the personal data of the owner.

The EV charger must have smart functionality, including the ability to send and receive information and the ability to respond to signals to increase the rate or time at which electricity flows through the charge point.

The charge point must have a unique passport and is not set by owner, in a bid to protect people’s personal information.

New charge points will be pre-configured to avoid charging during peak hours, between 8am and 11am and between 4pm and 10pm on weekdays.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Just more hops for a builder to jump through.

I think it is a pretty good idea really.  Not the kind of thing that would be taken up voluntarily.

So like better insulation and condensing boilers, legislation is needed or it will not happen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nod said:

When I here about E charging laws 

I wonder what will happen to all those that live in Terrace homes Will they simply run a lead across the pavement 

The sensible thing to do is designated parking.

When I lived in an old terraced street, neighbours used to complain about parking.

The most vocal had 5 vehicles, 2 were vans.

Houses were 4 metres wide.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

From the 15th June 2022, new homes and buildings in England will be required to have EV charging points fitted.

BUT now more:

From December 30, 2022, new laws will be introduced to help electric car drivers charge their vehicles at home. The latest Schedule 1: Security compliance regulations are being applied at the end of the year, following on from the Electric Vehicles (Smart Charge Points) Regulations that came into force in June 2022. 

It will seek to ensure that any charge point should provide appropriate protection to the electricity system, the relevant charge point and the personal data of the owner.

The EV charger must have smart functionality, including the ability to send and receive information and the ability to respond to signals to increase the rate or time at which electricity flows through the charge point.

The charge point must have a unique passport and is not set by owner, in a bid to protect people’s personal information.

New charge points will be pre-configured to avoid charging during peak hours, between 8am and 11am and between 4pm and 10pm on weekdays.

Just make one. All an EV charger is, is a contactor and some electronic circuitry to switch it on/off.

You can buy an EV charge control protocol module which takes the DC signal from the vehicle and switches the contactor on to start/end charging.

• Like 1

We voluntarily fitted charge points in a terrace of 7 new houses.  We used the bollard type 1 per house, each with 2 sockets.  When we were fitting them some passers by commented that planning must have made us fit them.  I just thought it made sense to fit them at the outset so that if a householder wants an EV there is no issue with installing and siting a charge point.  So far only 2 get regular use.  They are not spyware enabled, just Rolec Basiccharge pedestals.

15 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Just make one. All an EV charger is, is a contactor and some electronic circuitry to switch it on/off.

You can buy an EV charge control protocol module which takes the DC signal from the vehicle and switches the contactor on to start/end charging.

Except the silly way we do things it would not surprise me if we mandated it has to be a type approved charger installed by some member of a special club who has been on the right course and will cost you ££££ 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Or just turn off the settings to disable the smart/timed functionality. The legislation is saying the equipment installed must support these features, not that you're law bound to use them.

Just like a heating system must support a timer and zone thermostats. You're under no obligation to use them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Except the silly way we do things it would not surprise me if we mandated it has to be a type approved charger installed by some member of a special club who has been on the right course and will cost you ££££ 

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a silly EV charger installer club already. Vast government subsidies and risk of death, it ticks all the boxes for some new paperwork generation.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ProDave said:

True, but there is a silly club for PV stuff and I have not followed any of that either. I am not anti-establishment, but very anti-pointless-moneymaking-scam-club. If, it served to ensure these guys were good, professional, safe, etc. and had true meaning, I wouldn't have an issue, but if you use them to complain about an installer, nothing happens. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, joth said:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a silly EV charger installer club already. Vast government subsidies and risk of death, it ticks all the boxes for some new paperwork generation.

It will come. Someone will deem themselves an expert and form a club and get all the homeowners fearful if they don't use a "club" approved installer - of course, club approved just means paid up member. All a money making scam - which is partly why I treat most of these club like approval organisations with complete contempt.

When I first worked in consultancy I had all my paid up professional memberships - then I decided not to pay any of them and see what happened - nothing happened, I just saved about £389 a year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

When I first worked in consultancy I had all my paid up professional memberships - then I decided not to pay any of them and see what happened - nothing happened, I just saved about £389 a year. 

Shall we let the striking NHS not pay the insurance cover and let anyone be a staff member.

I think the real problem is that when these bodies are set up, usually with the best intention, the wrong people are asked how it should be done.

I’m going to form an EV club . You can all get to use my charger at any time at the fixed rate of 60p a kw. As well as that generous offer you also get to look at my hole .

I mean hole in the ground …

Edited by pocster

12 hours ago, nod said:

When I here about E charging laws 

I wonder what will happen to all those that live in Terrace homes Will they simply run a lead across the pavement 

They will have to use public transport.

13 hours ago, Marvin said:

BUT now more:

All rather predicatable. Indeed, was predicted by many.

11 hours ago, joth said:

Or just turn off the settings to disable the smart/timed functionality. The legislation is saying the equipment installed must support these features, not that you're law bound to use them.

Just like a heating system must support a timer and zone thermostats. You're under no obligation to use them. 

How will you do that is its password protected and you dont know what it is?