Non PassivHaus new homes - Space heating requirements?

So

My aim is to get my existing house to be more efficient, and I'm someone who want to work with PassivHaus principles but not necessarily entirely given you get diminishing returns 

Newer houses aim for an air tightness of around 5 or below I believe. Does anyone know how much KwH per square metre they typically use? 

I ask, as it should be possible for me to go from an air tightness of 7.6 to 5 quite easily, it not below that (Which is obviously what I'd want, cost permitting) 

So

I've had a quick look see on Barratt Homes, found a new build, and there's quite a few in this postcode area. It isn't my postcode or close to me but I figured Barratt homes would have some new ones even if they're not known for having the best homes about 

It seems that they more or less use 35KwH/ Square metre when it comes to heating 

So that's something to try and achieve using enerphit 

https://find-energy-certificate.service.gov.uk/energy-certificate/0632-2531-7000-0464-4292

4 minutes ago, anonymous said:

It seems that they more or less use 35KwH/ Square metre when it comes to heating 

The enerphit standard is 25kWh/m2/year so if you're doing that you have to achieve that, not some other number. 

You can aim for 35 if you prefer, but that's not an enerphit.

(People discuss like they're going for a 1st class honours degree, by renegotiating what score is required to pass)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, joth said:

The enerphit standard is 25kWh/m2/year so if you're doing that you have to achieve that, not some other number. 

You can aim for 35 if you prefer, but that's not an enerphit.

(People discuss like they're going for a 1st class honours degree, by renegotiating what score is required to pass)

Tbh I'm looking to use PassivHaus principles as much as possible, and for as it seems worth it regarding costs / benefits 

In that sense, air tightness and an MVHR seem key at the very least 

49 minutes ago, anonymous said:

So

I've had a quick look see on Barratt Homes, found a new build, and there's quite a few in this postcode area. It isn't my postcode or close to me but I figured Barratt homes would have some new ones even if they're not known for having the best homes about 

https://find-energy-certificate.service.gov.uk/energy-certificate/0632-2531-7000-0464-4292

As the temp is around 0°C at the moment, heat the house up to say 20°C and see how long it take to cool down and create a graph.  That will give you some idea of the heat losses.  It might be worth getting at airtightness test done.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

As the temp is around 0°C at the moment, heat the house up to say 20°C and see how long it take to cool down and create a graph.  That will give you some idea of the heat losses.  It might be worth getting at airtightness test done.  

I've already had my air tightness done yesterday. I'm currently at 7.66

He advised me that I could get it below 5 easily, and maybe even lower once I seal up the parts identified in the test. 

2 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

My lazy brain initially told me this might be a very simple way to get an overall U-Value for the house. But then I asked myself how the measured loss in air temperature would relate to the conduction losses through the building fabric and got completely lost. It would be nice to have an average W/(m²K) as a sanity check for the spreadsheet heat loss calcs I've done although they agree quite well with the actual amount of energy I'm having to put in to maintain an indoor/outdoor delta.

I thought it may be easy to go back to calculate the u value, but when you start thinking, ventilation rates, MVHR recovery rates would need to accounted for. Did you get solar gain, did you have the oven on, bit of a pain, so stopped thinking about and decided to write the above instead 

On 14/12/2022 at 09:00, anonymous said:

Does anyone know how much KwH per square metre they typically use? 

43 kWh/m2/yr

with

Airtightness 3.75 m3/m2.h@50 Pascals

Just an example from real data

75% of that on space heating. Rest on water heating.

Edited by WWilts
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WWilts said:

43 kWh/m2/yr

with

Airtightness 3.75 m3/m2.h@50 Pascals

Just an example from real data

75% of that on space heating. Rest on water heating.

Ah 

So around 32.5 KwH / Square metre for space heating which would be an equivalent of 3870KwH a year of space heating for myself 

And then also 10.75KwH/sq m for water which means that if my house met that standard I'd need 1290 KwH for water heating 

Thanks 

Edited by anonymous

I have resisted posting because this is not a typical developer new house, but my self build, built to largely passive house principles but no attempt to have it analysed let alone certified as a passive house.

150 square metres 1.4 air tightness  ASHP under floor heating downstairs only triple glazed and MVHR

Last 12 months heating the ASHP consumed 1200kWh so that's 8 kWh of electricity per square metre or about 24kWh of heat delivered.

In addition the ASHP has consumed 1000kWh heating the DHW (metered separately to heating usage)

And this in the east Highlands where the last week of cold weather that brought the UK almost to a halt, is just a normal weeks weather here in the winter.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2022 at 09:00, anonymous said:

Does anyone know how much KwH per square metre they typically use? 

For balance, consider my marginally insulated, air-leaks-like-a-sieve 90's monstrosity = 70kWh/m2 pa. for space heating and 30kWh/m2 pa. DHW 🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

My daily mean, so far this year, is 7.9 kWh/day, 2781 kWh for the year to date.  I use around 3 kWh/day for DHW and about 1 kWh a day for the rest.

So 4 kWh/day for space heating.  House is 50 m2.

So total energy works out at 55.6 kWh/m2.Year.

Heating is 28.2 kWh/m2.Year.

Those number will go up a little for the last few days of the year, but not much.  Yesterday I used half the amount I did the same day last week.

I have just got in from the Montol and it is 10°C in town.  Ansom my bird.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

This might be some sort of Cornish cultural appropriation as 'Bird' (meaning girl / young woman) was around in the 14 century although tracing its use up to the 1960s when it seems to have seen a resurgence looks tough. Naturally in the hands of @SteamyTea , in the way that bulls**t baffles brains, it could mean almost anything - but we digress from the core topic of this thread. 

Back to PHPP - which tells me what our home should need (Treated Floor Area TFA = 140m2): Heating Demand = 9.993 kWh/(m2a) & DHW = 22.4 kWh/(m2a) (Based on 2 person occupancy)

On 14/12/2022 at 11:20, anonymous said:

an MVHR

MVHR compulsory if you have excellent airtightness (in practice, likely to be compulsory if you achieve 2 m3/m2.h@50Pa)

If your house remains leakier than that, consider Vent Axia Tempra heat exchange fans to replace your existing extractor fans. Background mechanical ventilation without the expensive retrofit of ducts etc

Edited by WWilts

17 hours ago, WWilts said:

MVHR compulsory if you have excellent airtightness (in practice, likely to be compulsory if you achieve 2 m3/m2.h@50Pa)

If your house remains leakier than that, consider Vent Axia Tempra heat exchange fans to replace your existing extractor fans. Background mechanical ventilation without the expensive retrofit of ducts etc

The only extractor fan I've got is in my en suite / kitchen tbh 

Other than that, I have no trickle vents, though I do have some vents underneath the loft part in the attic