Fire doors, between garage and internal space.

Morning peeps. 

I have an attached garage that needs a fire door between the garage and the living areas, I would also want this door to be as airtight as possible. 

So do you think it is easier to get a fire door and frame and improve on the air tightness , or try to get a good airtight door that can meet the fire regs. 

24 minutes ago, Conor said:

I'm assuming the garage is unheated? In that case I'd be looking to install an external PVC door... with proper seals. If you can get a fire rated one. 

Sort of what I’m thinking, Solidor external spec door, so all good airtightness, pas 24 locking, but needs to have fire spec. 

Is there such a thing ???

I've had good results fitting a draught sealing strip around the stop bead of a fire door to garage. Stick-on compression seals are best if you can set the hinges to give enough space. I did this assuming that as it didn't interfere with the intumescent strip, it would be OK with BC.

• 2 weeks later...

Following this because ive just been looking at the same thing. Current house has attached garage with timber fire door and the garage door is 40mm insulation sectional but not great airtightness around the edges.

The timber door to the house i feel is a weakness too despite a 4 sided seal. Looking to start an airtight build with the same internal garage set up id like a good door between house and unheated garage.

Drop seals might help routed into the underside, but I'm hopijg theres a rebated upvc fire rated door available for a good seal.

6 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

@ruggers

have a look at DEFENDOOR.  Down in Newton Abbot. 

Tell me what you think. 

I haven't had a quote yet but it was all I have found that look ok. 

I'd probably go for the Flush or the esprit 3L, but I made enquires the past week and found that they won't deliver to North England. They asked me to get in touch with Birtley group but I'm waiting on them confirming they have more range than the 3 doors they sent over which weren't very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, not at all. It looks like a great door, decent built in closer too.

I'm going to keep my existing "internal" grade firedoor, possibly go for a new oak veneered one, will see. I'm going to look at building a timber frame and add 25mm pir board to it. Magnets on the timber frame and corresponding magnet points on the garage side door frame. Add some straps to the timber frame for removal. May not be needed once I have finished work on the utility room improvements. I'm sure it will help but may be marginal. 

I'd be interested to know how good the drop seals work and with a good self closer and a threshold door seal that the door closes up to, can a decent seal be made around the whole perimeter? I don't have a drop seal but haven't been very successful in getting a good seal with a standard fire door between my utility room and garage. Maybe a good frame, seal and decent joiner would do better.

• 3 months later...
On 11/04/2023 at 08:51, Dave Jones said:

no need for fancy steel doors. It needs an external door frame with cill so you can can use normal 'front door' type rubber seals to seal it.  can use a normal internal FD 30 door with intumescent strip routed into it.

Are you meaning a timber external door frame? They don't really offer a very good air tight seal, all the ones I've seen with the cill on don't have the jam on the bottom to continue the seal round 360. I'd like to see a correctly fitted seal that works well, where its positioned on the casing, especially the hinge side, and if its routed in just stuck on.