How much abuse do you take for self-building?

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

It's irrelevant now as not long after he passed away. The house has since been sold and the new owner has no problems with what we are doing.

As the youngest inhabitants on our road by about 20 years, this is my long term strategy for awkward neighbours. Outlive them all!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

My innocent little mind can figure out one of those, take a stab about another, and no idea at all what the last one is!

[moderator hat on]

please don't spell it out

[/moderator hat]

Even google is struggling with that one, unless of course he meant Grinnell Students Against Scurvy

Anyhoo.

In terms of disagreement and abuse, I have had a bit of gyp which has been difficult and will continue to be awkward, and a bit of disagreement which has continued to be disagreement but without damaging relationships.

I think it comes partly to whether a loss can be mitigated, and continuing attitudes.

If someone genuinely loses something or real value to them - eg a view over fields - then it can be damaging forever because it is a loss in front of their (or in different circumstances, my) eyes every day. If there is a personal animosity which develops, then that can be far worse.

Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

[...]

If someone genuinely loses something or real value to them - eg a view over fields - then it can be damaging forever because it is a loss in front of their (or in different circumstances, my) eyes every day. If there is a personal animosity which develops, then that can be far worse.

Ferdinand

Interesting '....eg a view over fields...' 

I occasionally employ a teenager whose dad is one of the biggest estate agents in the North West.  I was discussing this topic (he reads BH as a guest he tells me) with him the other day.

"Biggest mistake people make on buying a property is to think they have also bought the view. If they want to protect view, they need to buy it."

Made me think, did that. He's right.

• Like 2

Guest Alphonsox

I couldn't "buy the view" so I bought the sight lines. Anyone who wants to build in front of me wont have vehicular access :)

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Interesting '....eg a view over fields...' 

I occasionally employ a teenager whose dad is one of the biggest estate agents in the North West.  I was discussing this topic (he reads BH as a guest he tells me) with him the other day.

"Biggest mistake people make on buying a property is to think they have also bought the view. If they want to protect view, they need to buy it."

Made me think, did that. He's right.

We had a lot of that, and also in objections, as there was a lot of pre/post war ribbon development along our site - even though only 3 gardens actually touched it.

After two years of  fighting the council and my bully boy neighbour for planning ( the neighbour has now sold up as he went bankrupt ?) And finally getting approval from an appeal to the Secretary of State I have had nothing but good comments from passers by and even heard on the grapevine the build was complimented by a group in the local pub. Even though I said it was a " modest" build I do think it looks bigger than I thought it would. Still chuffed to bits with how it's going and looking forward to spending Christmas in it ( hopefully 2017 ?).

• Like 1

On 30/06/2017 at 08:42, recoveringacademic said:

That is similar to what I tell people.  If they object to a developmental, they can buy the land themselves.

There is a twat over at the 'other place' that thinks his area is unsuitable to bring up children, I suggested that he moves.  He did not get it.