Is there an electricity supplier that provides 3-phase smart meters?

Alan Ambrose

you'll be lucky to find a new supplier full stop. when I was looking for a new smart meter (3-phase or single phase) I was told by most suppliers that they weren't taking on new customers due to the current market conditions.

but if you do find someone offering 3-phase meters please let me know as I could do with one. 🙂 

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

you'll be lucky to find a new supplier full stop. when I was looking for a new smart meter (3-phase or single phase) I was told by most suppliers that they weren't taking on new customers due to the current market conditions.

but if you do find someone offering 3-phase meters please let me know as I could do with one. 🙂 

I work for one of the energy suppliers and have had success lately getting 3-phase meters installed in a typical 2.5 - 3 weeks.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like some help with this.

OVO [ex SSE] are coming to fit my 3 Phase meter on Wednesday next week. 

They have already been twice before over the last 18 months to fit a smart meter, only to find out it was 3 phase, so didn't fit anything.

I will report back on Wednesday. 

2 minutes ago, markc said:

Octopus fitted a smart meter when I wanted 3 phase, it hardly ever connects tho so pretty pointless as I have to send readings in

Just for another experience here, I have a 3P smart meter from Octopus, works without issue every 30 mins reporting readings.

• Like 1

OK thanks, so Octopus is a candidate.

>>> They have already been twice before over the last 18 months to fit a smart meter, only to find out it was 3 phase

@Blooda - it would be great if you could report back. I had a similar thing with an electricity supplier (the mists of time mean I can't remember who). Very frustrating but hopefully we've all moved forward since then :).

Alan

OK I see this from OVO:

Alan

Updated on 12/09/22 by Tim_OVO: 

Do OVO offer 3 phase smart meters?

As of August 2022, we're currently in a pilot, and will be contacting pilot-eligible customers (OVO customers on single rate tariffs) over the next few weeks and months. We are working with a select number of trained engineers around the country therefore we unfortunately can't install to just any willing participant (as much as we wish we could). Our advice is to make sure your contact details are up to date in your OVO account so that our teams can reach you.

21 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Ah I heard from Eonnext yesterday and they have offered an install of a 3P smart meter a couple of weeks out. I asked them to check that it really was suitable for 3P and they said 'yes'.

We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Alan

have you got contact details of how to get one set up, my electric supply is due to be going in tail end of Dec

>>> have you got contact details of how to get one set up, my electric supply is due to be going in tail end of Dec

I just wrote to 'hi@eonnext.com' and said 'We have 3-phase power here. Is it possible to have a corresponding smart meter?'.

Looking at the thread, they replied within a working day and they must have used my email address to figure out my account, because they didn't ask for an MPAN or anything.

After they said 'yes' - I got them to double check that they knew the a/c was 3P and they said 'I did have a look at your account and saw that you have a 3 phase meter so your smart meter will be a 3 phase install'.

So, very efficient ... so far :). I did try this maybe 5 or 6 years ago with a different supplier, I forget who. They made 3 separate visits - two 'engineers' arrived on different occasions with single phase smart meters and eventually 'the boss' arrived for a third visit with a 3P dumb meter. I was not impressed.

So, still keeping my bits crossed, but good so far. I was surprised to get a quick, pleasant and knowledgeable response - so they get good marks so far. The email response I think came from the offshore call handlers. Let's see what happens when the order is sent to the brit engineers for execution.

Alan

On 04/11/2022 at 15:59, Blooda said:

OVO [ex SSE] are coming to fit my 3 Phase meter on Wednesday next week. 

They have already been twice before over the last 18 months to fit a smart meter, only to find out it was 3 phase, so didn't fit anything.

I will report back on Wednesday. 

OVO man here as we speak fitting a 3 phase meter.

• Like 1

>>> They have already been twice before over the last 18 months to fit a smart meter, only to find out it was 3 phase

Yeah, 3rd visit or bust seems to be the standard service level.

And they play the part straight-faced as though they had no idea and had never heard of it. Surely you and your weird electricity set-up just beamed down from another planet?

Alan

Back at my old business premises it took 3 attempts to fit a smart meter. The first guy turned up with a single phase meter then the second one turned up with a 125A max meter, but we had a bigger supply.

There was a long gap before the 3rd attempt, presumably until their industrial team that really knew what they were doing had a slot available.

Whole process took over a year if I remember correctly.

Ah, FYI I also enquired with Octopus (I am not currently a customer) and they said:

"I can confirm that if you was to join Octopus Energy we can change your current 3 phase meter for a smart 3 phase meter however there is around a 4 month wait from date of supply.
The reason there is a wait is due to only certain qualified engineers are able to work with 3 phase."

Alan

• 3 weeks later...