Is there an electricity supplier that provides 3-phase smart meters?

Alan Ambrose

Just to add extra annoyance ... E.On Next (such a stupid name) email or text me once a week with the 'smart meter come-on':

We know you’re busy, but we haven’t heard from you yet about fitting a smart meter for you. 

When I fall for it, they ask me 8 questions, think for 10 seconds and say 'nope'.

As a systems guy I hate the bugs in all these systems, so f.....g careless. I have have found bugs as in 'system not functional enough to be able to get it to do something simple' in HMRC tax, Taxcalc, this, and Royal Mail on-line postage purchase over the last couple of days. And I'm pretty good at working around stupid bugs in on-line systems. There's not even an easy way to submit bug reports for any of them.

Alan 

smart meter come-on.JPG

smart meter come-on 2.JPG

>>> got 3phase smart meter installed after 6 months of trying

Well good luck. Goodness, we're drowning in treacle here.

I had another go today with Eon call centre:

Me: Is it possible to check on this 3-phase meter install again as it’s now two months since I first asked? If it’s not possible maybe you can let me know.

Eon: Yes, it possible to install 3- phase meter. If there is anything else you will need, do not hesitate to contact me.

Me: Just to be clear, over the last two months you guys have been unable to book an appointment to have one fitted. Could you please make one last attempt to book an appointment.

Eon: I just need to ask a few questions, just so the engineers are fully prepared...

Me: I already answered similar questions on 15th November, but see the same answers below...

- I'm not sure whether it's more Kafka or Brecht or Beckett. Presumably the call centres get paid by the word. As they say - just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

I thoroughly despair at the state of customer services with most organisations now, both public and private.  In the last week I have sent two complaints to 2 different companies because I just can't get any sense out of them.  And one of those (the public one) the ONLY way to make a complaint is by post.

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2023 at 16:06, Alan Ambrose said:

>>> got 3phase smart meter installed after 6 months of trying

Well good luck. Goodness, we're drowning in treacle here.

I had another go today with Eon call centre:

Me: Is it possible to check on this 3-phase meter install again as it’s now two months since I first asked? If it’s not possible maybe you can let me know.

Eon: Yes, it possible to install 3- phase meter. If there is anything else you will need, do not hesitate to contact me.

Me: Just to be clear, over the last two months you guys have been unable to book an appointment to have one fitted. Could you please make one last attempt to book an appointment.

Eon: I just need to ask a few questions, just so the engineers are fully prepared...

Me: I already answered similar questions on 15th November, but see the same answers below...

- I'm not sure whether it's more Kafka or Brecht or Beckett. Presumably the call centres get paid by the word. As they say - just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Just been onto Eon Next and they now say they need a photo on the electic connection in place before they will book a installation, which will be in 6-8 week wait!

>>> Just been onto Eon Next and they now say they need a photo on the electic connection in place before they will book a installation, which will be in 6-8 week wait!

That's for meter installation on a new line, or just a meter swap?

For a straight meter swap, I've contacted Eon.Next by phone and by email (different groups I think) and both told me 'someone would call to make an appointment'. That was a few weeks ago now.

I got another couple of invites from Eon.Next for a smart meter install yesterday. I fall for it every time. Answer their questions ... then it thinks for a few seconds and says 'no meter installs in your area'. Well why did you xxxx send me an invitation then...

On 09/02/2023 at 18:59, Alan Ambrose said:

I got another couple of invites from Eon.Next for a smart meter install yesterday. I fall for it every time. Answer their questions ... then it thinks for a few seconds and says 'no meter installs in your area'. Well why did you xxxx send me an invitation then...

i finally got through to someone that don't need a photo of no existent meter, they want me to go on their flexi tariff which is a 50p standing charge per day and 64p kWh!

i thought my current one was bad at this!

Unit rate per kWh: 37.273p
Standing charge: 59.02p per day

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in a Western Power area so got 3-phase supply installed as standard last year.  The only elec suppliers willing to install meters at the time were EDF & British Gas but neither would install a 3-phase meter so I got a single phase dumb meter.  BG offered the earliest appointment so I went with them.

Since I recently bought a used EV I need a smart meter to use off peak tariffs so next week BG are returning to install a 3-phase smart meter.  I'll then switch to one of the Octopus tariffs - will probably start a new thread about which one will best suit me as an ASHP user.

• 1 month later...

OK for anyone in a similar position...

After bu.......ing about with Eon for 6 months, who said it was possible but could never quite get round to it...

It took 'a little reminding' but Octopus had a 3-phase smart meter installed for me (swapping out the old 3-phase dumb meter) yesterday - a little more than 3 months after I first asked. 

A successful conclusion (well Octopus say it can take up to 14 days to go live) to this 7 1/2 month project ...

• Like 2