Sometimes the planning system is just plain stupid.

ProDave

This listed cottage sold for £50K at auction.    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-63410107

It was a collapsed wreck, the council were spending £1400 per month to keep it covered in scaffold and plastic sheet.

What a complete waste of time and money.  It sold for a low price because it is listed and the buyer will now have to rebuild it with all that entails.

Am i the only one that things it would have been far better to de list it, and grant outline planning for a replacement dwelling?  It would have sold for more and been a far better prospect without the burden of having to restore a crumbling wreck back to how it was?

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Am i the only one that things it would have been far better to de list it,

Too right, far to many listed buildings and I fir one would not touch a Listed building with a barge pole, yes keep a few examples. Then again everyone here knows what I think of bloody planners 🤯

• Like 2

Listed buildings and conservation areas are for the most part like forcing someone to drive a classic car. 

Terribly inefficient and unsuited to modern life.  They look lovely but that's not much use the occupants who often unable to rise to 19th century living standards not to mind 21st. 

• Like 3

Lol. Listed buildings and conservation areas are one of my hobby horses. It’s yet another example of how backward-looking this country can be.

I’d keep the very best, de-list the rest and make it easier to demolish and replace with sympathetically designed efficient modern buildings.

• Like 2

I don't agree, having refurbished  2 listed  buildings for ourselves. One a mix of 1600s and 1880. The other 1920s as wrongly categorised as by famous architect.

It is right that they are protected. Planners were fine about sympathetic changes and additions.

In both cases the buildings are admired and part of the 'street scene'. Both were  discounted at the price by builders for the commercial  reasons above. 

So the price reflected the work required  it was affordable to us, and I have the knowledge.  To build and resell quickly would have required much more cost  but for own use  these things are done in stages.

Agreed, the insulation can never be to modern standards. But these are still admired and valued buildings.

On 27/10/2022 at 18:49, ProDave said:

This listed cottage sold for £50K at auction.    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-63410107

It was a collapsed wreck, the council were spending £1400 per month to keep it covered in scaffold and plastic sheet.

What a complete waste of time and money.  It sold for a low price because it is listed and the buyer will now have to rebuild it with all that entails.

Am i the only one that things it would have been far better to de list it, and grant outline planning for a replacement dwelling?  It would have sold for more and been a far better prospect without the burden of having to restore a crumbling wreck back to how it was?

Classic example of modern planning laws protecting a property built when no planning laws were needed.

On 28/10/2022 at 23:49, Temp said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/furious-mum-faces-20000-fine-28346851

Enforcement issued for painting door of listed building bright pink..

image.png.0a2a59617b083d634b64b04ae00ab80d.png

Back of the envelope cals suggest this 3m2 door alone loses more heat than all 200m2 of our roof and floor combined. 

People have no idea how wasteful old houses are. 

Talk about fiddling whilst Rome burns. 

3 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Talk about fiddling whilst Rome burns. 

Two different things. If you know this area of Edinburgh, these are classic Georgian buildings, relying on symmetry. She has had her moment of fame and can now repaint appropriately, as she could have done when first instructed.

Then can add draightstrip etc. Prob has an inner lobby anyway.

Actually, 600 masonry then lath and plaster won't be that bad for heat loss.

IMG_20221030_164504.thumb.jpg.8261a4110594b29b11644f0cfe3e79d1.jpg

It depends on what you consider "that bad" 

It's 12 times worse than our house's wall. 

Its like me swapping my 55mpg Skoda Octavia for a 4.6mpg family car, if such a thing even exists. Even a 1600hp Bugatti Chiron manages double that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iceverge said:

depends on what you consider "that bad" 

Yes, but these are not about to be knocked down. And they are very big, terraced buildings, so the external walls are a small proportion.  But pink paint doesn't help, so perhaps I sm missing your point.

Sorry, I'm being too oblique with my point. 

A government body worried about the colour of a door ( which isn't even distasteful IMO) whilst ignoring (at best) the horrible inefficiency during an energy crunch in a heating planet is perverse. 

6 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

A government body worried about the colour of a door ( which isn't even distasteful IMO) whilst ignoring (at best) the horrible inefficiency during an energy crunch in a heating planet is perverse. 

No government body dare talk about the elephant in the room. just what do do about all the lousy leaky houses in the UK, how to upgrade or replace them, and who will pay?

Easier to bang on about wrong door colour.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

A government body worried about the colour of a door ( which isn't even distasteful IMO) whilst ignoring (at best) the horrible inefficiency during an energy crunch in a heating planet is perverse

I have to agree with this.

Trouble is there are too many conservationists and not enough environmentalists advising the government.

Imagine the NHS stopping vaccinations, but allowing everyone to have cosmetic surgery.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2022 at 20:04, twice round the block said:

It's not surprising that so many listed buildings especially old industrial buildings are so prone to arson attacks. 🤔

For the owner they are an insurance nightmare and for the developer they are a bottomless money pit, made worse by local authority planning departments.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/historic-cranbrook-farm-become-housing-7758961

Here is an arson attack that has turned a grade 2 derelict farm into 12 houses. It says the crime remains unsolved 🧐

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Iceverge said:

government body

It is Edinburgh city council planning dept., doing their job. Another dept (national gov't) can advise on energy.

For those who don't know Edinburgh, Drummond Street, although Georgian,  is not one of the stunning Georgian areas of the 'New Town', but just outside the 'Old Town'. Both are World Heritage designated. 

I recommend visits to both, and hope the door is not a distracting feature by then.