Alternative toilets...

Grian

8 hours ago, Grian said:

Can anyone recommend a toilet that doesn't smell, is foolproof in how it operates, and doesn't need to be connected to a septic tank? Also any advice against particular types. Thank you.

I’ve read that twice, and haven’t got a clue what were being asked, sorry :/ 

Is this for use in a house? On site as an alternative to a Portaloo? 

You’ll need to add some more detail please!

• Like 1

Yes lack of info. 

If you mean a loo that doesn’t have access to a foul system or water then there is this type. My pal is building a canal boat and is considering this type of loo or similar for it. It’s very dear though. 

https://www.leesan.com/shop/all-toilets/incineration-toilets

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

Sorry, more information - I need a plan B for a toilet in a shepherd's hut in case building control don't approve our connection to the septic tank serving the house. It will be let to guests so needs to be odour free and easy / no unpleasant to operate, and not horrific to manage either.

@Kelvinthanks, I'd come across this type, very expensive but seem the most pleasant. Has your friend had experience of them? 

1 hour ago, Grian said:

Sorry, more information - I need a plan B for a toilet in a shepherd's hut in case building control don't approve our connection to the septic tank serving the house.

Sorry your issue isn’t Building Control it will be planning - whilst you can argue it is portable and moveable, planning may see it having a permanent train connection as a permanent structure. Be very careful how you manage that one..!

• Like 1

One of our members @Tennentslager has a hut at Carbeth, near Glasgow, and used a boxed in dry loo which separates 1s and 2s.

Details are here on his blog, quite a long way down the article - but since it is basically a weekend hut there are probably a lot more ideas that would be useful for your shepherd's hut if you read it all.

You get the benefit from my interest in bodily functions in the comments.

Summary:

Dry Toilet And No Smell Whatsoever

Apologies for the pic of the loo, warts and all so to speak...
This is the 'seperate' plastic toilet from Sweden that has a front funnel and back void. The thinking is to seperate the solid and liquid waste as it is the combination Of both together that causes the smells we don't like.
Urine runs to a soak away and the solids and toilet paper (and sawdust which helps the drying process and Erm...helps the appearance should you peer into the pit!)end up in the bucket below.

There is a small fan running constantly which you can just see on the floor behind the urine waste tube.
The fan is powered from our 12v battery and draws next to no power at around 0.1 amps.
This provides an airflow which removes odours and aids the drying process for the solid waste.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Grian said:

Thanks @Ferdinand, did you put a loo on your allotment in the end? That is such an inspirational build. They must get so much extra enjoyment having made it themselves.

I don't have an allotment 🙂 ,so perhaps you have me cross-referenced?

I think on the long thread, my contribution was about the Aquatron, which is an spiral separating alternative to a septic tank you put on the end of a normal waste system.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Grian said:

@PeterW thank you, we have planning for this, I saw that as the major obstacle but now fear I will be thwarted by the toilet!

What makes you think that?

Building control might want to inspect and test the drain run to a "caravan" * but they won't want to inspect the plumbing inside a "caravan" as that is outwith building control.

* In this context as far as building control are concerned you are connecting a "caravan" even if it does not look like a caravan and may not even be on wheels, it is still legally considered to be a caravan if it is moveable in some way and is within the size limits defined in law for a caravan.