My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

54 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

In that case, the shorter tray is a BIG mistake. 

46 minutes ago, pocster said:

I did say . Water everywhere- but he wouldn’t listen …. . 

@Nickfromwales are you going to tell me that @pocster is ACTUALLY right for once? Jeez, what’s the world coming to!

is a door the best solution? I can fit an 1850mm tray but the slope will be where you walk to the bog. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Thorfun said:

@Nickfromwales are you going to tell me that @pocster is ACTUALLY right for once? Jeez, what’s the world coming to!

is a door the best solution? I can fit an 1850mm tray but the slope will be where you walk to the bog. 

Door = good

No door = (expletive deleted)ing water everywhere 

• Like 1

Just now, pocster said:

Door = good

No door = (expletive deleted)ing water everywhere 

And we were ok with that as the toilet is far enough away to not get wet. It’s the entrance to that area that’s the concern. But not for water as that’ll dry relatively quickly with UFH and MVHR, right? It’s more any sort of slope to get to the loo. 

21 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

And we were ok with that as the toilet is far enough away to not get wet. It’s the entrance to that area that’s the concern. But not for water as that’ll dry relatively quickly with UFH and MVHR, right? It’s more any sort of slope to get to the loo. 

😁

water over floor 

water over toilet 

• Like 1

Forgot to add that the wall opposite the entrance will be tiled with textured tiles as a feature wall with down lights illuminating it. So any door won’t close tight to it and we can’t/won’t attach to that wall. 

1 minute ago, pocster said:

😁

water over floor 

water over toilet 

The toilet is about 2m from the drench head. It’s not going to splash that far

Edited by Thorfun
Stupid autocorrect

6 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

The toilet is about 2m from the drench head. It’s not going to splash that far

Fiver it does....

Ever tried to wipe with wet toilet roll🤔

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jenki said:

You can get folding half doors, that hinge on the screen.

I just don’t think that’ll work. We’d have to reach around the folded door to turn the shower on which would be a nightmare. I can’t see how a door would work for other reasons. 

I think I’ll need to sit down and have a long hard think about it all. 

😭

12 hours ago, Thorfun said:

I can fit an 1850mm tray but the slope will be where you walk to the bog

Yup. And the "slope" is sub 20mm over 900mm which only a spirit level will notice. If you fit an 1100mm tray you'd better tank the room underneath too! That is a VERY small room to not have a shower screen, even a flapper panel (or 2). Is this the kids room or yours? Doing this in the kids room would be suicide.

morning all. on the train in to work this morning i've done some research and found many websites that state the splash zone for a doorless shower is 6'/180cm. we have over 2m from the wall shower head and 180cm from the drench shower head to the toilet so i'm convinced the toilet won't get wet. one article says in his experience the splash zone is under 4'

https://www.pmmag.com/articles/96302-designing-a-walk-in-shower

https://designingidea.com/doorless-walk-in-shower-dimensions/

https://www.twellis.com/blog/open-showers-is-this-trend-for-you/

so i'm now heading back to thinking about getting the 1850mm x 900mm former and just dealing with walking on the 'slope' of the former when going to the toilet. it's a pretty shallow fall though so i would think it's not that noticeable, right?

would that get your sign off @Nickfromwales

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. And the "slope" is sub 20mm over 900mm which only a spirit level will notice. If you fit an 1100mm tray you'd better tank the room underneath too! That is a VERY small room to not have a shower screen, even a flapper panel (or 2). Is this the kids room or yours? Doing this in the kids room would be suicide.

cross posts! it's our room so won't be stupid spraying water everywhere on purpose.

we just can't really fit a screen where it would look aesthetically pleasing, not interfere with the tap placement or diminish the effect of the textured wall.

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

even a flapper panel (or 2

i guess we could consider a narrow panel at the entrance, maybe 200mm. that would still give us a 700mm entrance and would stop water splashing in to the main area i guess.

will run it past the wife and see what she says. although i guess this is something that could be easily fitted at a later date without too much disruption?

17 hours ago, Thorfun said:

thank you. don't suppose you have a photo of how it's held in do you please? we only need 800mm max screen. any wider and the kids won't be able to get in to it! 🤣

Not at home at the moment to show the whole thing but these are the clamps I use for screens.

IMG_3776.jpeg.2112f229d33ac6ec55fd3e7b8a6c95b2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

These would need to be hinged "flappers" ;) 

i believe @markc was responding to this post

which is to do with the screens in the kids bathrooms. 🙂

now thinking about flappers for the kids screens as well after the discussions about splashing on to flat tiles outside of the shower former as the kids will have 1500mm trays and only 800mm screens. but will be the standard walk-in shower with a wall at both ends and side with a glass panel and walk-in entrance. kind of like this

25 Walk-in Shower Layouts for Small Bathrooms

• Like 1