My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

18 minutes ago, SimonD said:
3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

You can make a fast shower go slow, it's called "not turning the knob all of the way to max" ;).

Pretty simple stuff, eh :) 

Try telling teenage boys that

I really don't want to think about teenagers turning knobs in the shower.

I have had posts cancelled for less.

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. Those electrical items won't just pay for themselves!!

Just pull the trigger and have a nice shower, you tight arse, as you can't take it with you.

Already made the decision to go with the faster flow rate before peer pressure kicked in!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

afternoon. I've got another question please.

our kids shower areas are 1400mm x 800mm. we're going to use an 800mm screen leaving a 600mm entrance. is there any issue with using an 800mm x 800mm tray and then laying tiles flat in the 600mm entrance to the shower area? or should the tray be as close to the size of the shower area as possible? so for the Impey Easy-fit trays that'd be 1300mm x 800mm.

I presume that if we run the UFH to the entrance area then any splash/water that sits on it (as it won't 'flow' back to the drain as it's not on the shower tray) will dry pretty quickly so not an issue?

11 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

afternoon. I've got another question please.

our kids shower areas are 1400mm x 800mm. we're going to use an 800mm screen leaving a 600mm entrance. is there any issue with using an 800mm x 800mm tray and then laying tiles flat in the 600mm entrance to the shower area? or should the tray be as close to the size of the shower area as possible? so for the Impey Easy-fit trays that'd be 1300mm x 800mm.

I presume that if we run the UFH to the entrance area then any splash/water that sits on it (as it won't 'flow' back to the drain as it's not on the shower tray) will dry pretty quickly so not an issue?

Personally I’d want the tray as large as possible . Whilst your theory of water on tiles with dry ( especially with ufh ) ; kids with water … well it goes everywhere and becomes slippery .

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Personally I’d want the tray as large as possible . Whilst your theory of water on tiles with dry ( especially with ufh ) ; kids with water … well it goes everywhere and becomes slippery .

true but they're late-ish teenagers so nearly adults! we're not talking little kids.

I would happily get the 1300mm x 800mm tray but that would leave only 100mm at the end for a narrow strip of tile and I'm concerned it will look funny. other option is to go for a 1200mm x 750mm tray to give a larger flat area but slightly narrower shower.

Edited by Thorfun
  • Like 1

Just now, Thorfun said:

true but they're late-ish teenagers so nearly adults! we're not talking little kids.

I would happily get the 1300mm x 800mm tray but that would leave only 100mm at the end for a narrow strip of tile and I'm concerned it will look funny. other option is to go for a 1200mm x 750mm tray to give a larger flat area but slightly narrower shower.

Ah I see . Skinny tile strip at end might look ‘off’ . 1200x750 sounds good to me ( the loss of 50mm on width is negligible ) . 

• Like 1

Just now, pocster said:

@Thorfun - you’re doing what I’m doing . Posting on here to avoid doing the work - but it is a bank holiday after all 😎👍

I spent this morning removing the crack mitigation strips and extra dpm from around our newly laid screed. definitely not been idle!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

I spent this morning removing the crack mitigation strips and extra dpm from around our newly laid screed. definitely not been idle!

Nor me ! More sub frame decking . Better get back to it now 😊🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

actually, thinking about it, I can cut down the 1300mm x 800mm tray to whatever length I want (within the limitations of the tray as specified by Impey of course)! 🤦‍♂️

You can't cut a 1300mm tray down to 1400mm?

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why aren't you putting formers down and tiling over?

We are. The Impey Easy Fit formers. 

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You can't cut a 1300mm tray down to 1400mm?

You surprise me!! 😂

obviously I meant I can cut it down to give a reasonably sized flat bit as part of the entrance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

We are. The Impey Easy Fit formers. 

You surprise me!! 😂

obviously I meant I can cut it down to give a reasonably sized flat bit as part of the entrance. 

You just bench the missing 100mm in with tile adhesive and an off-cut of cement board / other.

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You just bench the missing 100mm in with tile adhesive and an off-cut of cement board / other.

I am concerned about having a strip of 100mm tiles looking a bit strange at the end of the former is all. I’ve no doubt it can be done just concerned as to how it will look. 

46 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I am concerned about having a strip of 100mm tiles looking a bit strange at the end of the former is all. I’ve no doubt it can be done just concerned as to how it will look. 

Eh? You cannot tell where the former ends if it's being tiled over?

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Eh? You cannot tell where the former ends if it's being tiled over?

Oh! I thought with the slope a tile would have to start at the former as they don’t bend! So there’s be a line where the former started. 

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

All the area around the actual shower former (Wedi) is slightly elevated compared to the perimeter of the former highest point, eg so I could bench the mosaics in and have a fall all the way from the towel rad to the drain.

ok but aren’t mosaics on a webbed backing so they’d bend/angle down the slop of the former?

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Oh! I thought with the slope a tile would have to start at the former as they don’t bend! So there’s be a line where the former started. 

ok but aren’t mosaics on a webbed backing so they’d bend/angle down the slop of the former?

You can do the same with regular tiles, just the cuts have to be a bit more inventive. Also, depends on whether you've gone for linear trays? Not too late to change and mosaic? Or is your preference for large-format tiles only?