My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

Have to ask … why the ‘wall’ for the toilet ? . Removing that would make the room feel bigger .

it's a good question! we like the idea of keeping the toilet and shower 'hidden' so it's like a secret gem behind a wall. also the bath will fit perfectly between the two walls so we don't have to worry about blanking the end of a bath etc and it will also house the towel radiator above the bath.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

it's a good question! we like the idea of keeping the toilet and shower 'hidden' so it's like a secret gem behind a wall. also the bath will fit perfectly between the two walls so we don't have to worry about blanking the end of a bath etc and it will also house the towel radiator above the bath.

It’s a good answer !

• Like 1

On 06/06/2023 at 11:53, Thorfun said:

hello lovely people (and @pocster). I have another question about the layout of our master en-suite shower/toilet area mostly related to the size of Impey Aqua-dec former.

image.jpeg.2cccdb751546976b178e0845d6647780.jpeg

from the photo above you can see the area in question. in the alcoves behind the stud wall we have the toilet on the right and then on the left is the shower area. the left stud wall comes out to about 1100mm and the area is sized to take a 900mm wide former. we have a shower head on the wall and a drenching shower head above with the controls inside the alcove entrance to allow not getting wet when turning on the shower.

with the entrance to the area serving the toilet and shower what do people think will look best for size of shower tray here? an 1850mm former will almost reach the other side of the entrance. a 1400mm will go 1/3 of the way across and an 1100mm to the end of the shower stud wall. obviously, formers can be cut to any size in between.

worried that an 1850mm former would result in a lip down when stepping in to the shower or might make stepping in to the toilet area awkward? but then worried that an 1100mm tray to the end of the shower stud wall leaving the entrance flat would mean increased water sitting at the entrance as it has nowhere to flow.

opinions please. 🙂 

anyone got any opinions on the shower former size we should go for here please? i'm keen to get them ordered and in place as i need to finish plumbing first fix so i can get boarding!

i'm leaning towards having the slope of the former start at the entrance to the shower end. so about 1100mm and having a flat 'entrance/landing'.

next question! glass for the kids' showers.....

what thickness is recommended?

the wife doesn't want a bar going across from the glass over the shower. what are our options? vertical bar to the ceiling? glass from floor to ceiling? is there a maximum glass size where a supporting bar is not required?

I have 10mm thick screen 1200 wide and held with 2 clamps on the bottom and two on one vertical. Few weeks ago I ran into the bathroom, tripped and hit the glass very hard without bothering it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markc said:

I have 10mm thick screen 1200 wide and held with 2 clamps on the bottom and two on one vertical. Few weeks ago I ran into the bathroom, tripped and hit the glass very hard without bothering it

thank you. don't suppose you have a photo of how it's held in do you please? we only need 800mm max screen. any wider and the kids won't be able to get in to it! 🤣

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

thank you. don't suppose you have a photo of how it's held in do you please? we only need 800mm max screen. any wider and the kids won't be able to get in to it! 🤣

My SWMBO didn’t want a bar over the top of the glass either . But “ conceded “ when I told her the risk to death 😉

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

My SWMBO didn’t want a bar over the top of the glass either . But “ conceded “ when I told her the risk to death 😉

from the bar or from a.n.other cause?

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

the wife doesn't want a bar going across from the glass over the shower.

How odd. My missus was exactly the same.

I had firm opinions on nearly every detail of the house (admittedly mainly what I didn't want rather than what I wanted!), but aesthetically I couldn't have cared less whether there was a bar there or not.

The screen does wobble a bit if you catch it on the way out of the shower. Not ideal, but none of the three shower screens set up like this has broken yet.

• Like 2

Just now, jack said:

How odd. My missus was exactly the same.

I had firm opinions on nearly every detail of the house (admittedly mainly what I didn't want rather than what I wanted!), but aesthetically I couldn't have cared less whether there was a bar there or not.

The screen does wobble a bit if you catch it on the way out of the shower. Not ideal, but none of the three shower screens set up like this has broken yet.

so no bar for you then? how wide are your screens? and what thickness?

11 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

from the bar or from a.n.other cause?

From the unsupported glass . You can ( in theory ) do what you want . But who wants glass ‘ wobble ‘ if you catch it with your shoulder ( or appendage) ? . In my mind ; better to have it than not ( personally ) . I ‘sold’ it to SWMBO as otherwise … death , broken glass , crippled for rest of life , permanent disfigured etc. etc . . Like a guy trying to sell you BS ( imho ) life insurance. 1 second later SWMBO agreed on ‘arm’ to hold glass . @Thorfun man up ! . Sell what you need to sell !!  . Grow some hair around it 

Edited by pocster
Xxxxx

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

From the unsupported glass . You can ( in theory ) do what you want . But who wants glass ‘ wobble ‘ if you catch it with your shoulder ( or appendage) ? . In my mind ; better to have it than not ( personally ) . I ‘sold’ it to SWMBO as otherwise … death , broken glass , crippled for rest of life , permanent disfigured etc. etc . . Like a guy trying to sell you BS ( imho ) life insurance. 1 second later SWMBO agreed on ‘arm’ to hold glass . @Thorfun man up ! . Sell what you need to sell !!  . Grow some hair around it 

sage words of wisdom as always. she is happy with ceiling support and I've found some screens that have optional vertical support to attach to ceiling so that might be an option. the research continues.....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

sage words of wisdom as always. she is happy with ceiling support and I've found some screens that have optional vertical support to attach to ceiling so that might be an option. the research continues.....

You still need to grow some hair …

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

You still need to grow some hair …

just showed her a ceiling pole and she agrees that they don't look good. I showed her thinner bars and she's ok with them now. I also played the 'safety' card and we don't want screens wobbling or falling on the kids in the shower and she has agreed to use bars now! 👍

is that enough hair for you?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

just showed her a ceiling pole and she agrees that they don't look good. I showed her thinner bars and she's ok with them now. I also played the 'safety' card and we don't want screens wobbling or falling on the kids in the shower and she has agreed to use bars now! 👍

is that enough hair for you?

Death mate ! Mention death ! . “ @pocster on BS self build forum didn’t install a shower screen support bar ! . It fell on his SWMBO and sliced her ear off “ .

Need me to wipe your arse also ? 😁😎👍

Edited by pocster
Jumbly juice
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Death mate ! Mention death ! . “ @pocster on BS self build forum didn’t install a shower screen support bar ! . It fell on his SWMBO and sliced her ear off “ .

Need me to wipe you arse also ? 😁😎👍

I prefer to use language that infers death as the outcome to let her come to the conclusion. I find it has more of an impact as the ramifications slowly dawn on her. I'm just not a sledgehammer in the face kinda guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I prefer to use language that infers death as the outcome to let her come to the conclusion. I find it has more of an impact as the ramifications slowly dawn on her. I'm just not a sledgehammer in the face kinda guy.

A fair tactic . Let’s hope she thinks the same when it’s not finished in 3 yrs . She’s lying in bed next to you as you are fast asleep and she looks at the knife .

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1