Kitchen design help

Rachelb94

Hello,
Myself and my boyfriend have recently bought our first home and are looking at renovating the kitchen. Picture of the kitchen design we are thinking of is attached. However, it isn't the biggest kitchen. I'm worried that the breakfast bar surface on the opposite wall to all the main units will make it feel quite narrow when we are both trying to use the kitchen. What do you think? Our main reason for the bfast bar was additional work surface space, but maybe there is enough already. I know everyone's opinion is different but would be interested to know what others think-keep the bfast bar or take it out? Thank you

IMG_20220816_210905.jpg

Looks like my mother's kitchen.

About 1800mm across, so 600 counter and say 300 breakfast bar leaves what about a 900mm gap?

If it was me I would do the kitchen without the breakfast bar and then see how it works out for you.

Either way I think it's too long.

Mum had a short draw under the bar for cutlery.

Good luck

M

What is that big rectangular block behind the wall the breakfast bar joins onto?  I would not to see something in the next room on the kitchen designers plan?

We have a gap of 1200mm between the main units and the island, I would not want less.  If the gap from the units to the wall is less than 1200 I would not want the breakfast bar.

Hmmm, I think the layout is pretty poor. Is this designer actually a proper designer or someone who sits next to you at a diy store and plonks units into place on an app? Ditch the breakfast bar as I think you'll find it cramped. no way you want someone sitting there while you use the kitchen. But more to the point, the designer doesn't seem to have thought about how a kitchen works. There's very little usable worksurface next to the hob for prep etc. It'll be full when a kettle is there and there's some washing up on the side. You've got acres of worktop the other side of the oven which means you'll probably do all the food prep for cooking there and have to work round the oven - if you cook at all you'll hate this with a vengeance, even more if you use food processors etc.. The fridge is at the other end of the kitchen from this prep area too. The fridge opens out across what looks like a doorway and the other doorway opens virtually straight into the breakfast bar. Similarly it looks like the dishwasher opens out in the way of good access to and from the fridge and it would get in the way of the walkway to and from the door when open. I also think there are multiple issues with the high oven next to the window and the wall cupboards around the extractor that are next to the other window. I think this will create some weird light in the kitchen and maybe darken it. Tall oven cupboard in the middle of it all will make the space seem much smaller too.

So for some constructive input, I'd suggest you play around with the layout by moving the sink and dishwasher (assuming it can be opened without getting in the way of the doorway) right across to the other side of the kitchen beneath the large indicated window. Then move the tall oven cupboard across next to the tall fridge. This way you'll  have created yourself a load of space and a much better sense of space with good light. Also consider if you can live without the wall cabinets that are currently on the wall above the hob and just have a simple extractor.

The other consideration is whether you could live with a simple one sided galley kitchen. Remove the tall oven cabinet and instead have the oven below the hob. Then you could turn the fridge 90 degrees around so that it opens towards the galley kitchen without getting in the way of the doorway. Sink and dishwasher again sit under the large window.

I have worked in commercial kitchens, love cooking and so I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. Following the image you've shown, I would lean towards the galley kitchen. Clean, simple, functional, leaves space in the kitchen and it's cheaper.

However, if you've just bought your first place, don't rush out to renovate the kitchen. Live with what you have for at least 6 months to get an idea of how the space works and how you use it - you'll be so much better and knowing what you want then.

• Like 3

Brilliant reply from Simon, but especially the 'don't rush' bit. Use what you have and see what works/doesn't work. I've just installed a similar galley kitchen as we don't have much space, so have pared it down to what I really use and got quite a good quality kitchen at a reasonable price by taking my time. 

@SimonD’s proposed solution is the best.  sink, dishwasher etc under big window, hob between both windows then right turn for your oven & FF.  mid run high level oven unit is bad.

I agree losing the wall units if possible perhaps replace with shelves to keep more open.  Found the attached image which is effectively a mirror image of what he’s proposing re high level oven.

Not ideal to have FF behind door but you’ll have to compromise.  If you were happy with oven below hob, you could have larder unit behind door, then FF.

All depends on what you prioritise.

FBED2DAC-7CB9-4A21-9A4E-A790FD4F39F2.jpeg

lightly off subject, in B and Q today I saw oven and hob on offer together for £295.

Lots of staff standing around and not showing interest...then I found why: I asked for help and they knew nothing.

I wonder how skilled their 'designer' is.

Back on subject: we rented a place last week with a narrow kitchen. When the oven door was open it had to be accessed from the side. Only one person could sensibly use the space at a time.

6 hours ago, saveasteading said:

lightly off subject, in B and Q today I saw oven and hob on offer together for £295.

Lots of staff standing around and not showing interest...then I found why: I asked for help and they knew nothing.

I wonder how skilled their 'designer' is.

Back on subject: we rented a place last week with a narrow kitchen. When the oven door was open it had to be accessed from the side. Only one person could sensibly use the space at a time.

That's not a kitchen, that's a corridor.

Another vote for SimonD’s comments. That breakfast bar just makes it cramped and I’d bet it never gets used for eating breakfast.

In my opinion high-level ovens don’t work well in small kitchens unless they can be in a corner where they don’t affect the worktop space. They also tend to be visually dominant which makes the space feel smaller.

I also think wait and see how you get on, don’t rush to do anything, another “out of the box” idea is hinge the breakfast bar from the wall so normally its down but raise it occasionally for extra worktop (when there is only one of you in the kitchen) 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

another “out of the box” idea is hinge the breakfast bar from the wall so normally its down

I had one of these once. It was really only useful during a big cooking session where surfaces were needed, but then only room for one person.

So I started off thinking it was a great idea, but hardly used it, while it took up 2" of limited space when folded.

• Like 1