ICF feasibility without a Concrete Boom pump

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone would be able to offer some support. We had a quote from an ICF provider and he seemed keen to take on the project. However, it now seems he doesn't want to continue due to fact our site has limited access and we won't be able to get a boom pump in.  The winding access lane is big enough to get a JCB / Big transit in but thats about it. We have loading bays and space to pump concrete from the main road using a line pump to the site but no way I can see to get a boom pump close enough to lift the line to pour the ICF walls. The longest section to pump would be around 90m from the road and the second floor walls are 7.3m high. So I was assuming we would have been able to pump it in with a traditional pump and supporting the weight of the pipe with scaffolding during the pour.

I have heard of people using a line pump and supporting with scaffolding. Has anyone done this and can vouch for feasibility? Or has anyone got any better solutions.

Picture of the site attached with the green line showing the standard access route.

Many thanks for any responses.

Current Access to Site.png

Without a pump is really a non starter, we did a couple of small sections of wall between windows and took ages, we used buckets, there is lots of concrete in the walls.

I would start looking for a different build method, if it was me.

Yep, you need the boom pump. We had a small pour (2 point something m3) and the builder did that with a telehandler borrowed from the neighbouring site and four guys with lots of buckets. Took them a couple of hours. No way you could do that on a large scale. Think you're going to have to go for a block cavity build here as you won't get timber frame lorries down there either.

Line pumping is “OK” for trench and bulk base filling but walls need to be done in lots of smaller layers and moving/holding the trunk would be horrendous and end up with lots of waste.

if access is poor you need to rule out ICF and Sips as these need truck sized equipment. 

23 hours ago, Mrbehr said:

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone would be able to offer some support. We had a quote from an ICF provider and he seemed keen to take on the project. However, it now seems he doesn't want to continue due to fact our site has limited access and we won't be able to get a boom pump in.  The winding access lane is big enough to get a JCB / Big transit in but thats about it. We have loading bays and space to pump concrete from the main road using a line pump to the site but no way I can see to get a boom pump close enough to lift the line to pour the ICF walls. The longest section to pump would be around 90m from the road and the second floor walls are 7.3m high. So I was assuming we would have been able to pump it in with a traditional pump and supporting the weight of the pipe with scaffolding during the pour.

I have heard of people using a line pump and supporting with scaffolding. Has anyone done this and can vouch for feasibility? Or has anyone got any better solutions.

Picture of the site attached with the green line showing the standard access route.

Many thanks for any responses.

Current Access to Site.png

Could the pump truck sit on the road before the roundabout?

Biggest pump truck has 60m reach. How tall are the houses in front?

I’m sure it is expensive to hire, but might be worth a discussion to see what is possible. 

https://www.camfaud.co.uk/m65

They also have a static boom that you could combine with a static pump. BVR12c boom has 10m horizontal and 12m high reach. 

https://www.camfaud.co.uk/spb10-bvr12c

https://www.selectplanthire.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/BVR12.pdf

Edited by Nick Laslett

Thanks all for the helpful responses. The build has turned into a bit of a nightmare after the access we had negotiated through the neighbouring flats finished. We were delayed during covid and we lost the window of easier access. Now trying to make an alternative plan.

With ICF I don't think it would make sense batch mix or pour without a pump. I had hope a line pump could be viable and using elevated scaffolding to hold the line above to pouring level. However, I am aware this can be problematic pumping the concrete up to height. Its a fairly large build with a lot of concrete so maybe the only options would be to explore the spider boom option. Or go with a labour intensive method like Stick built, but it's been difficult finding contractors who are keen to hump everything into the site. Some SIPS companies are happy enough to bring in slightly smaller SIPS to the site, and use a tele-handler to erect, but still not without its complications.

@Nick Laslett, thanks so much for finding those Spider booms, I had been looking all over and hadn't found anything similar. They could potentially be the a viable option provided I could get one up to Scotland for a reasonable price. I have options to pump concrete from the street through the lane and potentially through from the flats WNW of our house's location, I will explore with those providers and see if they can help.

1 hour ago, Mrbehr said:

Yeah there is scope for a crane. But it has to be a pretty big one with around 90m reach so likely prohibitively expensive.  

90m radius with a concrete skip is a very very big crane, helicopter would be cheaper

I feel your pain! I have just finished building a house with a similar access - was 40m with pinch point of 2m wide unsuitable for heavy machinery due to a collapsing retaining wall supporting the access, basically had to hand ball everything to site. We did have a loading area 40m away and built using timber frame and a crane there but the max crane we could get in was 60tonne which wasn't man enough for the job. Was all a big f... up by the timber frame company. Must have caused 3 months delay all in all sorting it out. If I had my time again, would go brick and block any day - is heavy and labour intensive to carry into site but is reliable and consistent. The issue with a SIPs or Timber frame is if you have problems with getting it or the machinery into site then the problems will compound. Think very carefully about the steel supporting any big spans - the timber frame company specified (and supplied) a 750kg beam which caused no end of problems. We had to get 15 men in on a Saturday to move it.

Can you get a tele handler into site - if you can only just get a transit in then you might struggle?

• 4 weeks later...

We're doing a Nudura build with what we deemed to be difficult access, but it's not as bad as what you're facing. We've had a few things into the plot such as a Unimog, a 10T Tipper and a 7.5T flatbed. We poured our foundations from land belonging to a third-party, who were very cooperative, but this is immediately adjoining.

I'm hoping not to sound negative, but I think you need to think of all elements of the build, not just the wall pour as it's easy to overlook what else you face.

We're currently debating how to bring in Beam & Block flooring. We know it can be done, just using several smaller deliveries, but how would you solve that for example?

Also, don't overlook fire access. I imagine that must have cropped up in planning/building regs?

Edited by Mulberry View