Hammond's Fitted Furniture

steveoelliott

I had Hammond's come out following a show room visit to quote for some bedroom furniture. Most of it will in fact not be fitted.

We are having 2 bedside tables and a cupboard with a seat that will be freestanding, although I requested the rears be cut to go over the skirting profile. In addition there will be a dressing table, chest of drawers, mirror and a stool.

The items of furniture that will be fitted are the dressing table and chest of drawers. The designer recommended this and stated they would insist on it owing to the height of the drawers (not that I think they would easily fall over). My reservation with having these items fitted is the fact we have just had a brand new carpet laid and we have been told we'd need to get the carpet rolled back to allow them to fit to the floorboards and then we'd have to get a fitter to cut and fit around them. This is of course doable but I am little reluctant to do so. Just keen to know others thoughts.

Now at this stage not sure I will go with Hammond's and may see what a local independent company can offer. In case folks are interested, the proposal is below and priced at £3255.00 (with discounts).

Bedroom 1.png

Bedroom 2.png

Bedroom 3.png

I see no need for any of that to be fitted.  We have a free standing chest of drawers much taller than that.

Just buy off the shelf free standing furniture and then pay a local joiner to notch the back of the units to sit over the skirting if you want that close fitting look.  that will be way cheaper.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I see no need for any of that to be fitted.  We have a free standing chest of drawers much taller than that.

Just buy off the shelf free standing furniture and then pay a local joiner to notch the back of the units to sit over the skirting if you want that close fitting look.  that will be way cheaper.

I see your point but we have struggled to find decent quality / durable furniture that we like. A lot of the high street stuff is really flimsy and I detest IKEA. I must say I was quite impressed with the durability of the furniture in the showroom; it felt solid. Now I know I am paying over the odds and potentially a local firm could do a better deal and I may well explore that option too.

41 minutes ago, steveoelliott said:

I had Hammond's come out following a show room visit to quote for some bedroom furniture. Most of it will in fact not be fitted.

We are having 2 bedside tables and a cupboard with a seat that will be freestanding, although I requested the rears be cut to go over the skirting profile. In addition there will be a dressing table, chest of drawers, mirror and a stool.

The items of furniture that will be fitted are the dressing table and chest of drawers. The designer recommended this and stated they would insist on it owing to the height of the drawers (not that I think they would easily fall over). My reservation with having these items fitted is the fact we have just had a brand new carpet laid and we have been told we'd need to get the carpet rolled back to allow them to fit to the floorboards and then we'd have to get a fitter to cut and fit around them. This is of course doable but I am little reluctant to do so. Just keen to know others thoughts.

Now at this stage not sure I will go with Hammond's and may see what a local independent company can offer. In case folks are interested, the proposal is below and priced at £3255.00 (with discounts).

Bedroom 1.png

Bedroom 2.png

Bedroom 3.png

Walk away! All I can see is something akin to chipboard flatpack furniture, possibly screwed to a wall and a batten scribed to the wall/skirting. Save you pennies or spend the same and get proper wooden furniture.

It looks a bit like a student dorm room or budget hotel if I am being really honest. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Walk away! All I can see is something akin to chipboard flatpack furniture, possibly screwed to a wall and a batten scribed to the wall/skirting. Save you pennies or spend the same and get proper wooden furniture.

It looks a bit like a student dorm room or budget hotel if I am being really honest. 

I didn’t want to be so honest 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

Thanks for being candid... That said I have seen this range in the showroom and it does look less Travelodge and more befitting a home environment.

The challenge is where to get decent furniture. I'll have a hunt for up-cycled online.

Edited by steveoelliott

If it is not chipboard then I would be surprised., whatever the price.

I have poked at some pogenpohl etc to look for the differences that justify trebling the price. 

Some details are better, some internal extras are nice, but mostly the cost is for expert fitting.

One supplier of very expensive kitchens said that his customers want to move out for 3 days and come back to a new kitchen,  and will pay whatever for the lack of hassle to them.

I assume the same applies to bedroom furniture.

• Like 1

The bespoke joinery market is a complete jungle in this country. Our architect designed quite a lot of bespoke joinery for us. A few wardrobes, a large bookcase with a concealed desk, a very long credenza, some wall cladding, the drawer fronts and cupboard doors to a dIY kitchens kitchen and a wraparound bed bedside table thingy. It was mainly made of oak veneered birch ply with some solid oak pieces. The quotes we got varied from £40k to £200k. We went with joiners towards the bottom end of that range and have been let down massively. We are now going back to one of the more expensive outfits and paying quite a lot just for one piece. It shouldn’t be so expensive, but unfortunately it is, particularly as most birch ply came from Russia. I wouldn’t accept chipboard or even MDF for bespoke pieces that cost this much, so surprised Hammond’s is charging so much for what appears to be made from man made materials, but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steveoelliott said:

The challenge is where to get decent furniture. I'll have a hunt for up-cycled online.

We've managed to get some real nicely made furniture from ebay/facebook. Keeping an eye open for specific high quality manufactures such a BoConcept, Heals and Ozzio. Probably the best buy of the whole self build was a BoConcept bed and two side cabinets, they are as good as new and much better quality than you'll find in the retail park show rooms.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adsibob said:

The bespoke joinery market is a complete jungle in this country. Our architect designed quite a lot of bespoke joinery for us. A few wardrobes, a large bookcase with a concealed desk, a very long credenza, some wall cladding, the drawer fronts and cupboard doors to a dIY kitchens kitchen and a wraparound bed bedside table thingy. It was mainly made of oak veneered birch ply with some solid oak pieces. The quotes we got varied from £40k to £200k. We went with joiners towards the bottom end of that range and have been let down massively. We are now going back to one of the more expensive outfits and paying quite a lot just for one piece. It shouldn’t be so expensive, but unfortunately it is, particularly as most birch ply came from Russia. I wouldn’t accept chipboard or even MDF for bespoke pieces that cost this much, so surprised Hammond’s is charging so much for what appears to be made from man made materials, but I may be wrong.

It is crazy how much firms charge for bespoke furniture but I think most of it is actually labor costs and funding glitzy showrooms / vans etc. The imminent recession might change prices a little.

3 hours ago, Simon R said:

We've managed to get some real nicely made furniture from ebay/facebook. Keeping an eye open for specific high quality manufactures such a BoConcept, Heals and Ozzio. Probably the best buy of the whole self build was a BoConcept bed and two side cabinets, they are as good as new and much better quality than you'll find in the retail park show rooms.

I'll look up those names and see what we can find.

2 hours ago, markc said:

Got to agree with @Simon R, quite easy to refinish good quality items if they are looking a bit scuffed etc. I’ve had several cabinets and bed frames re sprayed in local car body shops and the finish is fantastic.

That's a great idea getting a car body shop to spray the items. Did they do the prep too or did you do that?

42 minutes ago, steveoelliott said:

That's a great idea getting a car body shop to spray the items. Did they do the prep too or did you do that?

I made a lot of my own custom fit furniture, under stair drawer system, alcove shelf and cabinet units etc. and I always spray them with industrial 2k epoxy paints (same as auto paint really). Result is cabinets that looks like something from a showroom for not much cost, but certainly a good number of weekends in the garage!

I spray paint everything that can be sprayed and the results are far better, before fitting all our window sills I spray painted them in a 2K while satin paint and they are tough as nails and if they do scratch you can buff it out with something like Farecla rubbing then finishing compound.

8 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I made a lot of my own custom fit furniture, under stair drawer system, alcove shelf and cabinet units etc. and I always spray them with industrial 2k epoxy paints (same as auto paint really). Result is cabinets that looks like something from a showroom for not much cost, but certainly a good number of weekends in the garage!

I spray paint everything that can be sprayed and the results are far better, before fitting all our window sills I spray painted them in a 2K while satin paint and they are tough as nails and if they do scratch you can buff it out with something like Farecla rubbing then finishing compound.

Hope you have got a good mask, or better still a clean air fed mask. Don't get me wrong, i have sprayed a fair bit of 2 pac. not great for your health.

8 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

I made a lot of my own custom fit furniture, under stair drawer system, alcove shelf and cabinet units etc.

I've sprayed a little, but as an easy but slightly more costly option there are outfits like WoodByPost that sell edged sheeting that mean you can make your own stuff. Here's our utility room, all our own sizes and a fraction of the cost of bespoke.

IMG_20220725_103525_009.thumb.jpg.e47ab884156d809e00288449afbc2948.jpg

• Like 3

On 01/09/2022 at 21:08, Simon R said:

I've sprayed a little, but as an easy but slightly more costly option there are outfits like WoodByPost that sell edged sheeting that mean you can make your own stuff. Here's our utility room, all our own sizes and a fraction of the cost of bespoke.

IMG_20220725_103525_009.thumb.jpg.e47ab884156d809e00288449afbc2948.jpg

That does look smart for a utility!