DIY SOS new build in 9 days

ProDave

I don't normally watch this program, but last night it caught my attention as they were doing their first new build.  In 9 days.

Slightly cheated as the 9 days did not include demolition of the old bungalow and preparing the foundations.  But with 100 or so builders on site, they went from bare foundations to completed 160 sq Metre timber framed bungalow complete and decorated ready to move into in 9 days.  They even fitted MVHR with a fancy air quality monitoring system to control the air flow rates.

One thing that struck me was the size of the treatment plant they fitted. It was branded Kingspan / Karglester. Do Kingspan put their name of everything now? They said the hole it went in was 3 metres square and 6 metres deep?

42 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Slightly cheated as the 9 days did not include demolition of the old bungalow and preparing the foundations. 

You really are hard to please! O.o :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CC45 said:

I watched that.  Incredible really, hope the quality is good.  Couple deserved it.

I think a lot of thought went into the layout and design of the house to suit their needs and I really liked it.

Yes incredible people to take on the challenges they have, they deserve to be rewarded.

• Like 1

I caught a little of the programme, and it seemed good.

I thought the 9 Days claim was a bit bogus, but that did not detract from the programme. It would be a good public education step if these programmes detailed the months of planning buggeration.

F

4 hours ago, CC45 said:

Incredible really, hope the quality is good.  

I was thinking that too, and many others too no doubtedly, hence the statement at the end in the credits "This build was monitored by building control"....:D

More of a concern is my wife's grumbling as to why our (or "your house" as she puts it these days) is taking more than 3 yrs to build.....:$

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

More of a concern is my wife's grumbling as to why our (or "your house" as she puts it these days) is taking more than 3 yrs to build.....:$

Tell her talk to my wife and she'll realise just how lucky she is! :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

They had 100 blokes on site for 9 days, = 900 man days of work.

Allowing for weekends and other work, I bet you have not spent 900 man days on the job yet.

At least that's the answer I have for "that question"

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I thought the 9 Days claim was a bit bogus, but that did not detract from the programme

9 days for the one I participated in, and I've never seen so much work done by so many in such perfect harmony. Not one trade fell out with another, ( and it was absolutely sweltering hot ), with only the cast members being the ones to argue :D

Billy the spark was non stop, easily the hardest working guy there. Legends. 

Cuddy came in first and knocked down the existing rear bit and did groundworks and drainage, and my mate and I started a day early so 10 days in all actual building. 

Weatheright extension, from slab to finished, in 2 days including GRP roof with automated lantern. 

Jeeeeee- suuus. 

Id do it again tomorrow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

9 days for the one I participated in, and I've never seen so much work done by so many in such perfect harmony. Not one trade fell out with another, ( and it was absolutely sweltering hot ), with only the cast members being the ones to argue :D

Billy the spark was non stop, easily the hardest working guy there. Legends. 

Cuddy came in first and knocked down the existing rear bit and did groundworks and drainage, and my mate and I started a day early so 10 days in all actual building. 

Weatheright extension, from slab to finished, in 2 days including GRP roof with automated lantern. 

Jeeeeee- suuus. 

Id do it again tomorrow.

Erm...was Julia Kendell there? (Gabrielle at a push... :) )

Yup. Her and nick were at it all the time. She chose some rank wallpaper for the lobby and he took the piss. 

Only once he took it.....she ain't scared of him lol. 

Julian was getting stick for his shiny head so over lunch she lent him some

IMG_2411.thumb.JPG.1512eff52a416592087328cbdea5b79d.JPG 

• Like 1

Not watched it (not got telly) but how does it compare on cost?

If you have that many people working on a project, organisation is everything.  Are there lessons to be learned from it?

(Flippant comment, aren't all kids 'disabled' at first, just like old people, drunks, Cornish ;))