Tell me about Liebherr fridges

I need a new integrated larder fridge and have been looking at Bosch/Neff/Siemens identikit models. Nothing has caught my eye with those.

But I spotted a Liebherr model (IKBP3560) that did seem quite interesting....

ikbp3560.jpg.88d0826cffb56e1acd81111d8b7ed781.jpg

Not having any experience of this brand, me and SWMBO did some googling but came up with mixed messages. A quick search on these forums seemed to indicate no real issues, mostly positive comments. I would worry about cost and availability of spares and the odd little bits that break off. Energy wise it was a bit better than the equivalent B/N/S models, and quieter. Bonus points (from me) are for the LED lighting which seems very comprehensive. Thoughts?

I thought we'd be pushing the boat out price-wise with this but model it almost looks like their entry level product in this style! The Liebherr  IRBD5150 looks identical, but is a couple of dB quieter - for another £330! Energy consumption is 89kWh/a vs 125kWh/a so I'm not tempted by the quieter model.

Liebherr tend to occupy the more premium end of the fridge market, so you should get quieter and slightly better energy performance… at a cost. If you can afford it, go for it!

Just check the capacity is enough for you as often the quietness is achieved by putting in more sound insulation at the expense of storage space.

More in reportage terms ... 

- Longer life should be a benefit, if the reputation is warranted. Mine and the freezer are only 8 years old and fine, and had their first 2 years as showroom demonstrators.

- Spare parts have been available, and service good. They sent me a couple of bits for free.

- Seem to have a greater range of controls than other fridges I have had.

- Both my fridge and freezer have "boost" options which are quite vigorous. If I forget the freezer is on SuperFrost, it ends up at -30C.

- On the fridge, I would say check carefully for any of the double-plus-good crisper draws which claim to improve the fridge life of veg. You may want it. It is alleged by some that veg are dropping in quality post-Brexit. I got buried under a dogpile of self-identified remainiacs when I suggested a better fridge (a Liebherr) to a certain writer for the G.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Radian said:

I thought we'd be pushing the boat out price-wise with this but model it almost looks like their entry level product in this style! The Liebherr  IRBD5150 looks identical, but is a couple of dB quieter - for another £330! Energy consumption is 89kWh/a vs 125kWh/a so I'm not tempted by the quieter model.

So from next year that will save about £82 a year in electricity !

(At £2 per kWh)

So I figured it out. The IKBP3560 is outgoing, at least a 2 year old model. Hence being discounted if you can get it at all. The equivalent newer models are firmly out of my price range. This leaves me with a conundrum: Grab the old one if I can or switch to Bosch etc. I normally go for last years hot TV or AV kit to save a load of dosh but I'm not so sure about a fridge?

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

- On the fridge, I would say check carefully for any of the double-plus-good crisper draws which claim to improve the fridge life of veg. You may want it

Yes, the Bosch KIF81PFE0 is around the same price point at the Libherr IKBP3560 and has isolated, cooler bottom drawers with humidity control:

kif81pfe0.jpg.13a20e4e414299eda38161f3be93199c.jpg

I think this is my next best option but the energy use is stated as 150kWh/a so not as economical to run. The price is £1369 vs £1399 for the Liebherr if I was lucky enough to still be able to order one. I'm inclined to think it'd be a golden opportunity. SWMBO is not of the same mind though.

24 minutes ago, Radian said:

So I figured it out. The IKBP3560 is outgoing, at least a 2 year old model. Hence being discounted if you can get it at all. The equivalent newer models are firmly out of my price range. This leaves me with a conundrum: Grab the old one if I can or switch to Bosch etc. I normally go for last years hot TV or AV kit to save a load of dosh but I'm not so sure about a fridge?

I paid £1400 for my fridge freezer double (list price £2400).

The closest thing from Siemens etc was at the time £600 and £600 ish.

At that price it was a nobrainer even for a 2 year old one. Given how good it has been, £1800-1900 would have been OK.

So ... use your skill and judgement and mark your X.

image.png.9396d1fdd9d953a4ffcfd13704206d1d.png

(Just seen your post - I'd argue from the potential in energy prices.)

F

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

So from next year that will save about £82 a year in electricity !

(At £2 per kWh)

I think current predictions are that the cap will be 70.34p per kWh of electricity. So a 36kwh/a difference only works out at £25.30 or so. It will take you 13.2 years to recover the £330 premium on the more expensive fridge. I went for a Bosch which consumes 115kwh/a and isn’t as expensive as Liebherr: https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-serie-6-kir81afe0g-integrated-fridge/p4979347?sku=238631123&s_ppc=2dx92700070984466752&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gbraid=0AAAAAD2el1w3YFeRCXRBojwHqHWJ3vwT2&gbraid=0AAAAAD2el1w3YFeRCXRBojwHqHWJ3vwT2&gclid=CjwKCAjw0dKXBhBPEiwA2bmObfpkE5sgAU2rZ8FjCITU4KogT4c-benv_9ctZXZUHUeT4SlLi30A0RoCld4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I went for a Bosch which consumes 115kwh/a and isn’t as expensive as Liebherr

That's interesting. It's probably the closest match to our old fridge but with quite good energy efficiency. Perhaps you could answer a couple of questions: can you easily (i.e. routinely) remove the bottom salad/veg drawers and, how good is the interior illumination?

I ask because to save multiple trips to open and close the doors, when preparing salad, we just pull out the salad drawer from our Neff and put it on the worktop. And in a tall fridge, a single light at the top just won't work.

Modern fridge owners, I'm intrigued: Let's say you're going to make a salad. Your tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, lettuce, celery, peppers, scallions and so on are In the Liebherr Bio fresh drawer (or Bosch etc. equivalent as they all seem to have these lower drawers with telescopic slides) So what do you do to get them all to your chopping board? Grab as much as you can in your hands and keep going back to the fridge for more?

BOS188020-1-Rc-p.thumb.jpg.733500ba870e93b5cb6b039d41feb97a.jpg

Our old Neff has a single box with open top like the picture above, that either tips open towards you or simply lifts out completely so making it easy to remove from the fridge and pick the stuff you want right next to the chopping board. I can't imagine transferring items individually from the fridge - yet it looks like the sliding drawers are only meant to be removed for occasional cleaning.

Liebherr due to be delivered tomorrow! 😃

...But you couldn't script it: Having successfully nursed the old Neff with my own control system to keep the goodies cool since last week, tonight I get a notification that I put in place to advise me when the temperature has exceeded 7oC

A quick investigation showed the 32A MCB for the kitchen ring had tripped. First thought was that the Neff compressor was finally toast. But my power logger showed it was off at the time. What was odd (to me at first) was 2 minutes of 2.5kW above base load, just before the trip event. Son then joins in with the sleuthing and points out that he had put the dishwasher on earlier. 😬

So now we need a new dishwasher 😵

Of course all the kitchen appliances were bought new when we built the house 24 years ago. How they make them have such an identical lifespan is impressive. Two freezers to go next week then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Radian said:

Of course all the kitchen appliances were bought new when we built the house 24 years ago. How they make them have such an identical lifespan is impressive. Two freezers to go next week then.

I had a mate who worked for McKinsey. His job was to consult with manufacturers and work out if any of their components were better quality than they needed to be. So if a product was sold with a 3 year warranty, he would work out which components would last longer than that and identify appropriate cheaper substitutes so that they would last just a little bit longer than the warranty period. A couple of weeks was ideal.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I had a mate who worked for McKinsey. His job was to consult with manufacturers and work out if any of their components were better quality than they needed to be. So if a product was sold with a 3 year warranty, he would work out which components would last longer than that and identify appropriate cheaper substitutes so that they would last just a little bit longer than the warranty period. A couple of weeks was ideal.

Ask him about Poisson Distribution.

Can calculate 'time to failure' and 'time between failure'.

This distribution is used quite frequently in reliability analysis. It can be considered an extension of the binomial distribution when n is infinite. It can be used to approximate the binomial distribution when n > 20 and p < 0.05.

If events are Poisson distributed, they occur at a constant average rate and the number of events occurring in any time interval are independent of the number of events occurring in any other time interval. For example, the number of failures in a given time would be given by:

http://reliabilityanalytics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/poisson_f_of_t.png

where x is the number of failures and a is the expected number of failures. For the purpose of reliability analysis, this becomes:

where x is the number of failures and a is the expected number of failures.

For the purpose of reliability analysis, this becomes:

http://reliabilityanalytics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/poisson_f_of_t2.png

where:
λ = failure rate
t = length of time being considered
x = number of failures

The reliability function, R(t), or the probability of zero failures in time t is given by:

http://reliabilityanalytics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/poisson_to_exponential.png

or the exponential distribution.

In the case of redundant equipments, the R(t) might be desired in terms of the probability of r or fewer failures in time t. For that case

http://reliabilityanalytics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/poisson_reliability_cumulative.png

• Like 1

We have owned a pair of under counter fridge and freezer for quite a few year. We were attracted by the satisfying clunk of the doors and robust feel of the interior. Still going strong albeit in someone else's house as did not fit in to our new kitchen design :(