Kitchen Hatch - keep and modernise or cover it?

Zak S

Hi I have a kitchen hatch which with yiung family would probably seve useful purpose.  Is there a way to upcycle it or do you think it should be just binned and covered up? Plastering starts next week so need to decide what to do with it before that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Screenshot_20220808-074308_Rightmove.jpg

Screenshot_20220808-074237_Rightmove.jpg

1 minute ago, Radian said:

Take out the entire wall to create an open plan kitchen, dining area. 🙊

That was part of the plans as "may be" but guven I have major modelling /entire rebuild on the card after planning (might take a year or two as other project might take precedent) hence keen to keep low. Want to avoid cpst of new kitchen at the moment. Kitchen will be sprayed with acrylic wall panels or tile over tile in the kitchen.

22 minutes ago, markc said:

Have you ever used it?

does anyone ever use them?

is it a home or a cafe?

look terrible

takes up wall space

needs painting

noise transmission 

a great idea …. Said no one ..ever!

I have not moved in yet so don't know about the functionality yet but I see all the point being valid.

• Like 1

A kitchen hatch, was for the cook, to pass the plates of food through to the waiter to place on the table in the dining area in front of the hatch.

Do you still live like that?  Where do you eat?  

When the kitchen / diner was invented, the hatch became surplus.

In our family home when I was a boy, we had no hatch, so the cook (mum) made multiple trips from the kitchen to the dining room to bring the food.

If you aren't able to open it all up to make a kitchen lounge diner it will depend if you are going to regularly use a dining table as ProDave has just said. A family regularly using a dining table for moving lots of plates to and fro might find the hatch useful - a couple with a few plates less so. It's all about your intended lifestyle in that house until you can do a major lounge/kitchen / diner remodel. Even if you are a gogglebox tv dinner family (heaven forbid!) it might still be useful......but you will need a surface both sides that you can reach through to rather than just putting plates on the ledge (asking for trouble)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A kitchen hatch, was for the cook, to pass the plates of food through to the waiter to place on the table in the dining area in front of the hatch.

Do you still live like that?  Where do you eat?  

When the kitchen / diner was invented, the hatch became surplus.

In our family home when I was a boy, we had no hatch, so the cook (mum) made multiple trips from the kitchen to the dining room to bring the food.

My plan was not to use it for its original purpose but to keep an eye on the kids in the living room while food is being cooked. Hence if there are ideas to modernise it. If it cannot be I will happily board over it as already spoken with the plasterer. 

1 hour ago, Modernista said:

If you aren't able to open it all up to make a kitchen lounge diner

Yes I wanted that but i need to bear in mind the total remodel/build upward or total rebuild project and hence any money spent now might be just total waster down the line. Therefore keen to make good what we have and be inventive.

1 hour ago, Modernista said:

Even if you are a gogglebox tv dinner family (heaven forbid!)

😀 these days TVs in bathroom and kitchen, lots of people (on principal) following the similar trend.

There would be main dining table in the lounge plus a small dining table in the kitchen (may be) and given the floor plan it's a bit of trek from the kitchen 😅. Plus the most important advantage of keeping an eye on the kids in the lounge while cooking. What do you think?

Screenshot_20220808-092139_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

10 minutes ago, markc said:

Looking at the layout I would say it lends itself to losing the wall. The L shaped kitchen/diner/lounge would be a great social/family space

That would require atleast 10/15k of resources in terms of kitchen fit out which  might have to be knocked down later for the rebuild. Is it still worth it?

9 minutes ago, Zak S said:

That would require atleast 10/15k of resources in terms of kitchen fit out which  might have to be knocked down later for the rebuild. Is it still worth it?

If you are rebuilding later then no

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Is that your chair - looks like a Guy Rogers which may be worth £££.

No. It belonged to the guy who passed away. He was director in nuclear research in one of the big corporations and was definitely able to afford one. I will ask if they still have it. They might have donated it.

Edited by Zak S

14 minutes ago, Zak S said:

No. It belonged to the guy who passed away. He was director in nuclear research in one of the big corporations and was definitely able to afford one. I will ask if they still have it. They might have donated it.

If it was donated, it may be a nice windfall of a few hundred for the charity.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=guy+rogers++chair

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zak S said:

That would require atleast 10/15k of resources in terms of kitchen fit out

Just look at the cost of removing the wall.  You can re-use the kitchen if you want to.  Also, why are you plastering if you are considering rebuild?

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

Just look at the cost of removing the wall.  You can re-use the kitchen if you want to.  Also, why are you plastering if you are considering rebuild?

We have hard move in date of 27th. This would just not be possible by then. Though its an attractive proposition but we can do it later as well if required.

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

If it was donated, it may be a nice windfall of a few hundred for the charity.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=guy+rogers++chair

Any thoughts on the electric fake stone fireplace. I got that given 🙂 plus a hand-knitted persian rug. Most of all they stuck by their words since last Sep while the probate was going through and let me buy it. Newly built house next door got sold for £2.5m. So I am really appreciative of them. Lovely people.

3 hours ago, Zak S said:

That was part of the plans as "may be" but guven I have major modelling /entire rebuild on the card after planning (might take a year or two as other project might take precedent) hence keen to keep low. Want to avoid cpst of new kitchen at the moment. Kitchen will be sprayed with acrylic wall panels or tile over tile in the kitchen.

I think I would revise my budget/programme and not waste time tarting that kitchen up. 

It may appear cheaper just now, but in the long run that will transpire to be the wrong move. 

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

I think I would revise my budget/programme and not waste time tarting that kitchen up. 

It may appear cheaper just now, but in the long run that will transpire to be the wrong move. 

It's already been sanded down plus I will be spraying myself. We will see how it turns out.😅

7 minutes ago, Zak S said:

Any thoughts on the electric fake stone fireplace. I got that given 🙂 plus a hand-knitted persian rug. Most of all they stuck by their words since last Sep while the probate was going through and let me buy it. Newly built house next door got sold for £2.5m. So I am really appreciative of them. Lovely people.

I think you pay someone to take it away.

There was at least one Grand Design that was based around keeping one of those chimney breasts as a heritage feature.

You cut a hole in the rug, and give at as a poncho to Gary Lineker to go with his goaty beard. You need to attach multicoloured pompoms or it won't be ridiculous enough. And he needs a pork-pie hat from somewhere.

• Haha 1