Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

On 4/21/2018 at 23:02, Nickfromwales said:

Hats off, a top bit of bending :)  

No problem laying a swept bend flat, and a bit quieter too.  

Sketched out a bit of a plan of what I've got / propose:

2018-04-23_09-22-29

The upstairs ensuite grey soil runs diagonally across the eaves. A pita for access, storage etc. All push fit so I thought redo with a 90deg bend. Keeps everything parallel / square. Was even thinking to make it a branch, capped for now so I can add into it if I ever put wcs off the kid's rooms (though that would ideally mean converting the roof eaves to gable ends). 

I know I could put the basin & shower wastes into the soil there but I'd rather avoid that as it all runs into a cess pit prone to backing up. Planning to take the ensuite basin & shower waste vertically up the page then horizontally left and down the wall to tie up with the 2" bath waste from the new bathroom. 

Getting hot and cold feed to the new shower valve might be fun. Hoping to pass those pipes under the squared off soil run and tap off where the upstairs ensuite shower is fed from.

"20 turns" he said.

Had a practice, and he was right...as usual. :) In fact I reckon I could have got 3-5 more on. As the threads disappeared under tape I thought no way is that screwing in, but it did. 

This goes against the perceived grain but as the job is bitty anyway I'm using all my PIR and EPS offcuts in this wall. Basically whatever fits the hole with foam making up the rest.

2018-04-23_06-29-37

2018-04-23_06-31-00

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Why are you using offcuts rather than 5 sqm of spray foam and mummified squirrels?

Not acceptable.

Could you use 10% of whoever-it-was’s unnecessary shoes? I seem to recall it was @newhome who was then gazimped by @lizzie in the Imelda Marcos Derby.

Something rodent esque has been chewing on the PIR if that counts?

I could use stuffed animals I guess but the gap behind the studwork is about 50mm one end and +100mm the other where the new stud and original wall aren't parallel. Maybe these?

tapir_directory_2.jpg.9268d706315a6f037c957fca83a6ed53.jpg

On 23/04/2018 at 20:20, Ferdinand said:

Could you use 10% of whoever-it-was’s unnecessary shoes? I seem to recall it was @newhome who was then gazimped by @lizzie in the Imelda Marcos Derby.

I definitely don’t have 1200 pairs like Imelda Marcos lol! I’ve probably got about 50 or 60 pairs but have never counted ;)

On 23/04/2018 at 20:33, newhome said:

I definitely don’t have 1200 pairs like Imelda Marcos lol! I’ve probably got about 50 or 60 pairs but have never counted ;)

There speaks someone acquainted with management of an Information Technology budget.

• Haha 1

On 23/04/2018 at 20:33, newhome said:

Jesus! SWMBO had 2 pairs of shoes, a few pairs of flip flops and a couple of pairs of boots. Sadly not FMBs...

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Something rodent esque has been chewing on the PIR if that counts?

I could use stuffed animals I guess but the gap behind the studwork is about 50mm one end and +100mm the other where the new stud and original wall aren't parallel. Maybe these?

tapir_directory_2.jpg.9268d706315a6f037c957fca83a6ed53.jpg

Capiwotsits are good. The fur can be used for insulation while the meat is used for lunch.

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

Well those look a bit more attractive than the things that generally scurry around walls in houses in the UK! 

I'm sure sarking as standard on English homes would prevent a lot of infestation.

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

Wouldn’t they just chew through it? 

I think I have damn great holes at the top where the lead meets the soffit. This roof is all approx 30 years old.

SAM_2230

52 minutes ago, newhome said:

What are you up to now? 

Perv! :) I just meant there's lots of bits of PIR being used to fill the gaps.

Tbh I think I'm going to run out of scraps. To think there's been a few people on here desperate to get rid of their offcuts before now. Doesn't help it's all different depths.

• Haha 1

To finish this corner off: After packing with insulation the intent was to apply a vcl to the face of the studs/insulation and then Aqua Panel over that. Like this:

2018-04-24_09-46-26

However SWMBO caught  sight of the mitred corner detail "somebody" on here did ;) which led me down that route.

So I'm not sure now whether to bring the (green) vcl into the corner as originally planned like in "A" below or across the face of the mitre as shown in "B". If "A" I think I'll need a couple of full height strips of maybe MR plasterboard to stop the vcl billowing as I'm not continuing the Aqua Panel into the corner:

vcl_001

Need to be rid of this diagonal soil in the loft space above the bathroom. Plan is to fit a branch laid on its side:

20180425_161507

The branch will hopefully allow me to put other wcs in later should I decide to. I've slid in one of these plugs with a bit of silicon spray for now. Went in very easy once lubed up. I might try and devise some sort of "safety clip / bracket" in case a future traffic jam forces it out! 

20180425_161601

I just hope there's enough sweep for the No.2s to fly round the right angle!

I decided the shallow pocket could be made deeper by chiselling away the two projecting breeze blocks. OMG THE dust! Should have worn a mask but washing if down now! ?

2018-04-25_05-28-46

Not for the first time SWMBO unimpressed by the mess my Lidl tool's made!