Thank you (& bye)

hrc

Hello and thank you to all for a very informative and friendly forum, I have truly learnt a LOT.

Not really bye as I will continue to read and learn from you guys.

After almost 2 years our final appeal has been rejected on a purely subjective "not in keeping with the character of the area" even tho' it won't be seen so how......

Anyway, we will now look for another opportunity and I hope I'll be able to join you again

Henry

Sorry to hear that. Other fish in the sea though.

Was it a case of no develoment whatsoever, or more that you would have been forced to build something you didn't want/need?

Best of luck with the next one!

Design was changed twice: we live in a "block" (ribbon) of 6 houses all with very long gardens and the character of the area is just these 6 houses with long gardens .....

I'm fairly sure that in a couple of years this will probably go thru'

That was the only point we (my planning consultant and I) couldn't overcome, everything else was dealt with - highways for road access, services for access, garden sizes, turning circles, car parking, etc

As the kids have gone and we're in a 5 bed we need to downsize so, once again thanks

Henry

I'd fight this.

"keeping out of the character of the area" is as flakey as you can get; we had this. 5 different applications refused.

"detrimental to the local amenity" also a load of bollocks.

You PUSH to get the council to define this rubbish. Then you change the design to match their dumb response.

It took me 5 years to get planning - so never give up!

Or change tactic ......

Get planning a for a large garage.

Shouldn't be an issue.

Then resubmit as a house (going under ground if need be to get the extra floor area).

There are infinite ways to skin a cat; the council have limited intelligence and resources so exploit them!

This is sad to read. Several times we were torn between giving up or borrowing a friends muck spreader and going to visit the planning office ?. But support from folks on this forum and our super supportive architect got us through.  The thought of little power mad office dwellers was just too much. But whatever you do, good luck.