Rising costs

I'm currently pricing up some insulation. I've had a couple of prices today, the most expensive was nearly double the cheapest quote - for the exact same materials - and I've heard Rockwool insulation is going up another 8.5% next year. 

I hate playing business off one another, whether that's BMs or Car Dealerships but when some are playing silly buggers it has to be done, unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, jayc89 said:

I'm currently pricing up some insulation. I've had a couple of prices today, the most expensive was nearly double the cheapest quote - for the exact same materials - and I've heard Rockwool insulation is going up another 8.5% next year. 

I hate playing business off one another, whether that's BMs or Car Dealerships but when some are playing silly buggers it has to be done, unfortunately. 

be ruthless, there’s no love in the game. 

plasterboard up 15% after Xmas I’m told today, it’s already triple what I was paying pre covid.

3 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

be ruthless, there’s no love in the game. 

plasterboard up 15% after Xmas I’m told today, it’s already triple what I was paying pre covid.

Yes was told the same today too. We’re in a difficult time economically. I know some on here have suggested that the build costs might come back to their favour next year. I’m not feeling the same way. 

6 hours ago, jayc89 said:

the most expensive was nearly double the cheapest quote

This annoys me, I can live with maybe a +/- 30% variation in costs as different merchants will have different overheads and the honest ones may be expensive on one item and cheap on another.  Doubling or tripling of cheapest prices is price gouging and leaves a bitter taste.

4 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

plasterboard up 15% after Xmas I’m told today

The prices will no doubt trend this way but reps have called me at the end of business quarters with such catastrophic news before. The timing of the news tells a lot IMO. 

That’s true of course. That said our kitchen supplier has told us of significant increases in February, the bathroom supplier is keeping a lid on increases until March then 15%. The window supplier increasing prices by 20% from February. All a bit worrying. 

16 hours ago, jayc89 said:

hate playing business off one another

The best, most trustworthy supplier will give you their best, or near best right away. The ones who say they will match anything are being lazy of greedy and don't deserve a return call.

We got the best price from the local independent bm, which was a surprise and pleasure.

9 hours ago, Kelvin said:

That’s true of course. That said our kitchen supplier has told us of significant increases in February, the bathroom supplier is keeping a lid on increases until March then 15%. The window supplier increasing prices by 20% from February. All a bit worrying. 

That's concerning. I need to get our windows ordered early next year :( Whilst labour might be coming down, it doesn't really help a self-builder renovator.

• Like 1

Our merchant says plasterboard is up 17% and insulation 10% in January. Have ordered all our 15mm boards for the ceiling earlier than intended to beat the rise. Out of interest, what price are others paying per board from their merchants (I've not shopped about as they're good to deal with and prices always a fair bit cheaper than I can find online)?

3 hours ago, eandg said:

Our merchant says plasterboard is up 17% and insulation 10% in January. Have ordered all our 15mm boards for the ceiling earlier than intended to beat the rise. Out of interest, what price are others paying per board from their merchants (I've not shopped about as they're good to deal with and prices always a fair bit cheaper than I can find online)?

Thise was my plasterboard order from a few weeks ago, not sure if it's decent or not

795465960_Screenshot_20221222-035230_AcrobatforSamsung.thumb.jpg.c9654cc0aaaba30e3d8980b83eec0b9e.jpg

4 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Thise was my plasterboard order from a few weeks ago, not sure if it's decent or not

795465960_Screenshot_20221222-035230_AcrobatforSamsung.thumb.jpg.c9654cc0aaaba30e3d8980b83eec0b9e.jpg

I paid £6.52 per Gyproc plasterboard sheet back in May this year from Jewson (your order is in a similar format - was that Jewson too?)

12 hours ago, shuff27 said:

I paid £6.52 per Gyproc plasterboard sheet back in May this year from Jewson (your order is in a similar format - was that Jewson too?)

I paid £9.60 for 15mm board (albeit for tapered which Google suggests is a wee bit dearer than square) so only slightly more than Moonshine but your price is making me feel like I've been done!

16 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Cheers!

Edited by eandg

10 hours ago, eandg said:

I paid £9.60 for 15mm board (albeit for tapered which Google suggests is a wee bit dearer than square) so only slightly more than Moonshine but your price is making me feel like I've been done!

Cheers!

Mine was 12.5mm - as you'd expect 15mm is proportionately more expensive but I still reckon I got a good price.  Some materials such as plasterboard seem to exist in a more competitive market - I told my Jewson rep the best price I'd found online & after a bit of haggling she agreed to beat it.

2 hours ago, shuff27 said:

Mine was 12.5mm - as you'd expect 15mm is proportionately more expensive but I still reckon I got a good price.  Some materials such as plasterboard seem to exist in a more competitive market - I told my Jewson rep the best price I'd found online & after a bit of haggling she agreed to beat it.

Just had my invoice in for a pallet of 12.5mm I bought too at £7.20 so not too bad. Made the mistake of lifting in the pallet and a half of 15mm stuff after the lighter board and can confirm the robustness is worth the extra cash!

On 20/12/2022 at 23:50, Kelvin said:

Yes was told the same today too. We’re in a difficult time economically. I know some on here have suggested that the build costs might come back to their favour next year. I’m not feeling the same way. 

the problem is everybody’s overheads are spiralling so I can’t see price reductions anytime soon. It will all balance each other. The end of red diesel is going to cause pain.

oh and skips increased £20ea this week.