We have been working on layouts since April and managed to come up with something that worked for us and we were happy, however after a meeting with planning consultant we were advised to change orientation of the house (previous one was unlikely to be approved by planning). Now we have received two options for layout but we are not keen on it as we are losing a fair bit of space to the 'views' and everything seems a bit more squashed. 

the site is not an easy one as we need to have front facade look like its the main entrance but in reality it will be utility door and the main entrance to be on the side by the driveway. Main views are to the left and some views at the back of the house. 

We asked for both entrances (utility and main) to be connected for access to utility/laundry/ cloakroom

we don't want the back of kitchen counter to be by the windows as we are losing cupboard space

Architect seems to only take exact directions from us rather than give his ideas of what might work better. 

So I guess I am here to ask if anyone has any clever ideas/ suggestions what else could work here?

Many thanks

option 1.png

Option 2.png

previous orientation  and plot.png

I much prefer ground floor option 1.  Option 2 seems a bit disjointed and does not flow as well.

If you want more direct access from the side create a corridor from main hall to side door through what is currently plant room.

I can’t see the orientation of your “previous orientation”. That shows the direction of the views, but your first two diagrams don’t. Could you clarify?

Also, how important is it to you to have a view from the gym? 

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

I can’t see the orientation of your “previous orientation”. That shows the direction of the views, but your first two diagrams don’t. Could you clarify?

Also, how important is it to you to have a view from the gym? 

don't need to have the 'view' from the gym but would be nice to have a window in gym.

re 'previous orientation' - the site layout has the previous orientation - the other two drawings has new orientation (we had to spin the house 90 degrees

option 1 w notes.png

Edited by thetinothproject

3 hours ago, dpmiller said:

because you're making an accusation

It wasn’t an accusation, but definitely a query and a twist of doubt. I don’t really like it when people claim to be architects when they haven’t done the qualifications.

It’s about customers getting what they are promised as well as professional integrity.

Edited by CharlieKLP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharlieKLP said:

I don’t really like it when people claim to be architects when they haven’t done the qualifications.

lots of people have a qualification, unfortunately that doesn't mean they are at the top of their game, nor even competent in that profession.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Simplysimon said:

lots of people have a qualification, unfortunately that doesn't mean they are at the top of their game, nor even competent in that profession.

Unfortunately in architecture very true.

11 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

Same with doctors, but the fact is ‘Architect’ is a legally protected term. If the company OP is using is claiming that they have architects if they do not, then it’s illegal. 

Edited by CharlieKLP
  • Thanks 1

@thetinothproject states he is an architect, as per the other thread on architects it’s about what the OP wants, not what “professionals” thinks he should have. I turned our build round 90’ to face the drive, not the road which also gave us a South facing lounge, diner and conservatory 👍

Edited by joe90

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@thetinothproject states he is an architect, as per the other thread on architects it’s about what the OP wants, not what “professionals” thinks he should have.

‘Wanting’ someone to be an architect doesn’t make someone an architect. The term is protected so if they’ve said that to OP then I think it should be brought up.

7 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

Wanting’ someone to be an architect doesn’t make someone an architect.

No, @thetinothproject stated he WAS an architect, why do you question this? Why don’t you give us some insight as a professional on the original question rather than question other people’s qualifications!

Edited by joe90

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No, @thetinothproject stated he WAS an architect, why do you question this? Why don’t you give us some insight as a professional on the original question rather than question other people’s qualifications!

The company OP is using doesn’t have any architects. 

I think it’s important people aren’t mislead. 

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@CharlieKLP why are you more interested in discrediting people than helping the OP?

I think the first thing you should do before you hire someone, is check their credentials and that they/their company are presenting themselves truthfully. That’s my helpful advice.

• Like 1