Unless things have changed, maybe this is a clue re: design route...

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/27157-first-timer-essexlondon-border/

10 hours ago, thetinothproject said:

Architect seems to only take exact directions from us rather than give his ideas of what might work better.

That's not what you need as a client.  If your 'architect' isn't adding value and delivering what you need, change them. I did.

19 hours ago, ProDave said:

I much prefer ground floor option 1.  Option 2 seems a bit disjointed and does not flow as well.

Moving swiftly on….. I agree with Dave, option 1 IMO. If you are not happy with your architect then find one you are happy with ( if you need one 🤷‍♂️)

Option 1, if only because the location of the laundry makes most sense. Otherwise you'll be carrying clothes from upstairs downstairs to the furthest most corner of the (large) building. 

I'd consider including a laundry chute or upstairs laundry room, you've got the size and there'll be a lot of carting clothes around. 

23 hours ago, thetinothproject said:

don't need to have the 'view' from the gym but would be nice to have a window in gym.

re 'previous orientation' - the site layout has the previous orientation - the other two drawings has new orientation (we had to spin the house 90 degrees

option 1 w notes.png

Option 1 is definitely the best of the two, as you make the most of the views, and the layout is ok. To improve it, I would consider whether you can increase your budget slightly. For example, I don’t think you need additional planning permission to build a small outhouse in your garden that could act as the gym. Look into whether that can be done as PD after you build what you have planning permission for at the moment.

A higher budget way to achieve this would be to put the gym in a basement, which could still have windows and a light well, though my preference would be in an outhouse in the garden.

Either of those options would give you more space on the ground floor, which could make the kitchen/dining and utility slightly roomier and possibly give space for an en-suite shower room to the guest bedroom.

I think you’re other problem is it’s just a big rectangle blob. Those are always a bad start. One of my pet hates is when you have a pyramid roof like that. It’s also pretty grim when you have windows for the living room and utility or bathroom on the front with the same scale and importance. 

Usually a designer would design you a floor plan that fit the site and brief, after consulting with the Planning Consultant themselves. 

What you have done is ask a designer to draw up a plan that is your own layout, then expected something good. 

So yes, he’s not an architect and someone has lied to you firstly. And secondly you need a designer if you wanted something imaginative that solves your problems. What you have is a technician to draw up an unimaginative plan.

what you need is someone creative who will take your ideas (which are basically good and sensible) and run with them to create a house you love. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CharlieKLP said:

I think you’re other problem is it’s just a big rectangle blob. Those are always a bad start. One of my pet hates is when you have a pyramid roof like that.

A bit like mine then🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣a rectangle orientated South to the long section is the most efficient relative to solar gain. A “pyramid roof” is also the most cost effective.

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, CharlieKLP said:

I think you’re other problem is it’s just a big rectangle blob. Those are always a bad start. One of my pet hates is when you have a pyramid roof like that. It’s also pretty grim when you have windows for the living room and utility or bathroom on the front with the same scale and importance. 

Usually a designer would design you a floor plan that fit the site and brief, after consulting with the Planning Consultant themselves. 

What you have done is ask a designer to draw up a plan that is your own layout, then expected something good. 

So yes, he’s not an architect and someone has lied to you firstly. And secondly you need a designer if you wanted something imaginative that solves your problems. What you have is a technician to draw up an unimaginative plan.

what you need is someone creative who will take your ideas (which are basically good and sensible) and run with them to create a house you love. 

We’ve gone with a big rectangle as it's cost effective and will fit well with the surrounding houses. 

Ignore the roof shape as that's not what it will be, that was just a drawing to show the site layout and prior orientation. Roof will be hipped. Question anyway was on the floor plans. 

We've not been lied to, was a turn of phrase, will correct. Question anyway was on the floor plan not who drew it or what their qualifications. Appreciate all the concern on that but not what we're after. Helpful feedback is welcome, we're not changing who is doing this and seeking some constructive input not what we could or should have done. 

Edited by thetinothproject
  • Like 3

I really think Option 1 isn’t bad. My suggestions were just to improve it, and if you can move the gym either underground or to the garden, even better. A small outhouse in the garden, surely will not add more than £6k to the cost of everything else you are doing, if you exploit economies of scale/scope. There is probably a modular/off the shelf Option you could look into.

what about something like this - you mention you wanted access to the operational side of the house from the two entrances, this plan gets the plant out of the premium middle space (maybe bad for runs - dunno!), combines the wetworks into a single space (dog and wc shower room), retains the big util laundry aspect, and shrinks the cloaks but provides access for both entrances to easily access all the messy bits.

image.thumb.png.2f8a79ffd0d0e80a5c5868fd63fa56ce.png

13 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

It’s not the most cost effective. 

I disagree, no bricks and blocks for gable walls, timber quantity roughly the same, tiles/slates roughly the same . The other reason we went for a hip roof was noise, gable roofs produce more noise in windy situations. Also less area to loose heat.

Edited by joe90

Option 1 better for all reasons stated.  Think about shower room access from boot room area looks like you have an outdoors lifestyle and would you come in needing a shower saves trampling through hallway. 

Regarding fundamental architecture of house - your house, your money, your choice.   I think it is helpful for contributing members to support you in your choice and make suggestions to make your choice even better, perhaps with tweaks or amendments especially if they have similar style houses.  As my house is very different style to yours I’m unable to assist with that.  Good luck !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Option 1.  The shower room is probably too small to dry yourself and may not get used.  An ensuite to the guest room would be good.  If you lose the current shower and move the stairs to the other side, you could have a proper en suite and a WC.

image.png.ee776851c91ebe307f6357f7e73b2c21.png

I prefer the kitchen sink under a window.  And I prefer sliding doors to bifolds.