Exhaust fan on neighbours side on the wall on our property

Hello all,

Wondering if someone can help.

We are building an extension solely on our property (Edge to edge) but not going on neighbours land at all.

We do not need a fan in the pantry, but having it just in case we decide to add washing machine or fridge in the future.

Our neighbour has come back and said to us that she does not want exhaust on her side. My builder is saying that she has got no right to dictate what goes on the wall and on our land.

she has her extension built on our side wherr a new wall will go in. Its not like it will be touching her side or her wall. She wants to see a wall on her said that what she has said. I was hoping if someone can advise if it's legal to do so.

Thanks

LK

Edited by Lk1980
Spelling mistake

• Lk1980 changed the title to Exhaust fan on neighbours side on the wall on our property

I think we would need to see the plans to make sense of that?

Are you suggesting your fan will vent into a narrow gap between your house and next door?  Why not just route it to the back of the extension and out the back wall?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I think we would need to see the plans to make sense of that?

Are you suggesting your fan will vent into a narrow gap between your house and next door?  Why not just route it to the back of the extension and out the back wall?

Hi Dave, yes that is correct. Its the fan vent. Pls see the plans attached

drawings with calc.pdf

8 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

It may be better to run the vent to the back through the bathroom.  You may need a build over agreement with the water company for the sewer.

Thank you Mr Punter. I have a build over agreement with Severn Trent Water. 

• Like 1

It's not hard to find lots of people complaining about cooking smells from a neighbours vent blowing into their garden. That's possibly what they are worried about. 

2 hours ago, Temp said:

It's not hard to find lots of people complaining about cooking smells from a neighbours vent blowing into their garden. That's possibly what they are worried about. 

Which is imo fair enough. 

It's probably less about what you are legally able do and more about whether you want to keep on friendly terms with your neighbour after the project.

If it's a single story extension you could consider going vertically up through the roof.

• 1 month later...
On 29/05/2022 at 17:06, Lk1980 said:

We are building an extension solely on our property (Edge to edge) but not going on neighbours land at all.

Remember nothing must overhang including the eaves, guttering or vent grill. If the wall is going right upto the boundary plan ahead for the eaves.

Edited by Temp

IMO it is a valid complaint.

I had the same from an old neighbour when I renovated a kitchen. I re-routed the vent via a rigid channel within the cavity wall and had the vent exit at the rear of the house, effectively adjacent to the boundary

Regards

Tet

On 29/05/2022 at 17:06, Lk1980 said:

Hello all,

Wondering if someone can help.

We do not need a fan in the pantry, but having it just in case we decide to add washing machine or fridge in the future.

Our neighbour has come back and said to us that she does not want exhaust on her side. My builder is saying that she has got no right to dictate what goes on the wall and on our land.

she has her extension built on our side wherr a new wall will go in. Its not like it will be touching her side or her wall. She wants to see a wall on her said that what she has said. I was hoping if someone can advise if it's legal to do so.

Thanks

LK

You are not allowed to vent exhausts from fans or flues within a certain distance of a boundary. I know the mechanical engineers in here always ensure vents/fans near boundaries are always located away from them if they are within x? metres.

This is totally normal, not my discipline so cannot comment with hard facts, but know that it's generally not permitted. 

Edited by Carrerahill

• 2 months later...
On 14/07/2022 at 11:31, Carrerahill said:

You are not allowed to vent exhausts from fans or flues within a certain distance of a boundary. I know the mechanical engineers in here always ensure vents/fans near boundaries are always located away from them if they are within x? metres.

This is totally normal, not my discipline so cannot comment with hard facts, but know that it's generally not permitted. 

Got to disagree worth you on that @Carrerahillmy house has 3 exhaust vents, boiler, cooker hood and tumble drier that all vent directly to the neighbours, as my house wall is the boundary. They vent directly into the neighbours driveway.

The house was build by a large developer in Norfolk, unless they have broken the rules.

As it happens all the access chambers for my drains are also in the neighbours driveway.

I made my neighbours move their boiler flue round the corner onto their property, rather than over my drive..

I think the issue is around the need to ensure and undisturbed exit, which for a discharge over a boundary cannot be guaranteed. May be different for low / high level.

Check with your BCO.

On 17/09/2022 at 12:39, Chanmenie said:

Got to disagree worth you on that @Carrerahillmy house has 3 exhaust vents, boiler, cooker hood and tumble drier that all vent directly to the neighbours, as my house wall is the boundary. They vent directly into the neighbours driveway.

The house was build by a large developer in Norfolk, unless they have broken the rules.

As it happens all the access chambers for my drains are also in the neighbours driveway.

In this situation I'd tend not to disagree with people based on what I have witnessed. It is a bit like the old, "But he did it Miss". Maybe so, but it is not right.

In your case you have witnessed the worst, a large house developer! We all know the build quality is awful and they get away with murder. If we all built houses like large developers we would not need much cement, much insulation, good workmanship, quality fittings and fixtures, quality brick and block work, straight and plumb walls and openings... the list goes on.

Large developers self-certify/pay an independent firm who just want to get the fee's so don't tend to find too much wrong.

Show those flues/exhausts on any warrant plan and you will be knocked back every time. This is not my discipline, but I believe it is 600mm for boiler flues from a boundary and same for fan exhausts. It is also in the Gas Safe regs - if your boiler was reported, then technically, it would have to be moved but no one enforces these things sadly. 

Fair comments @Carrerahill As it happens the developer is one of the better ones in Norfolk and the workmanship not too bad, we’ll certainly compared to others. 
I’ll admit I’d did seem strange to have them where they are.

The exhaust for the tumble driver vents condensation onto the neighbours car as it’s usually parked about 2ft from the vent, his drive way is not very wide. 

If there is an alternate route out the back (which seems to be the case) then just do it regardless if the neighbour has been friendly or not. It’s always best to put yourself in the shoes of the other party and ask yourself is this reasonable or acceptable. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. There are a few things we could have done with our plans but chose no to because of the impact on our neighbour which, in fact, was inconsequential in reality. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

+1   It's easy to find people on the Internet complaining about extractor fans  on neighbours wall pointing in their direction. Avoid if at all possible.

I don't think there is anything in the building regs regarding the location of extractor fans (but there is a 600mm seperation for boiler flues in Part J).

The only thing I can think of is that regular cooking smells might be considered a statutory nuisance.