New windows, triple glazing?

HughF

Simple question really, looking at changing out all the windows around the place, mainly because the current ones are badly fitted (now there’s a surprise) and we don’t like the colour.

It looks like I can get triple glazed for the same price, is that a worthwhile upgrade over standard double? I assume so.

Looking at standard upvc from my usual, online only, supplier.

if it's the same price then it seems logical to get triple glazing! there might be some considerations that other more knowledgable folk will be able to tell you about though but if the window supplier says it's fine to put in triple glazing and they're willing to warranty it then I'd say go for it!

Look at whole window U value, not at the headline you get triple glazing.  Have seen triple glazed advertised as 1.4, because the frames are cr*p. 

Insist on getting the whole window U value, they will want to give you the Ug valve which is only the glazed part of it.

We have some double glazed doors and the whole U value, frames and glazing is 1.1, but they are Krypton filled.  Our triple glazed are 0.74 and 0.82.

A normal ok/good quality double glazed window is 1.4, triple glazed less than 1.0 for the whole window U value.

• Like 4

Just now, JohnMo said:

Look at whole window U value, not at the headline you get triple glazing.  Have seen triple glazed advertised as 1.4, because the frames are cr*p. 

Insist on getting the whole window U value, they will want to give you the Ug valve which is only the glazed part of it.

We have some double glazed doors and the whole U value, frames and glazing is 1.1, but they are Krypton filled.  Our triple glazed are 0.74 and 0.82.

A normal ok/good quality double glazed window is 1.4, triple glazed less than 1.0 for the whole window U value.

see....I said more knowledgable folk would be along soon. 

If it’s the same price as double, then go for it.

As has been mentioned check frame values, glass value and glass thickness. Some will supply 36mm or 44mm glass units, which is Krypton filled on poor frame values to achieve the A rated window.

Which is complete and utter bollocks tbh. but somehow allowed. 

A frame value of around 1.2W/m2K will be a decent enough window, 1.4/1.6W/m2K is likely what will be offered.

5 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I too am going to be using these, window spec is spot on, I think its either 40 or 44mm triple.

The profile, or the supplier?

I've been happy with the two doors I've got from them recently.

4 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Both, good to know you are happy with their products.

I've found their web ordering system and delivery updates to both be excellent. Fairly long lead times but both my orders have been during these recent odd times (lockdowns and subsequent shortages etc).

• Thanks 1

That seems a really low U value, compared to the entries that I have in my heat pump toolkit spreadsheet...? Attached for reference (look at the drop down values for window type on the heat loss calculator sheet)...

Are my 12yr old windows really as bad as the spreadsheet says, U value of 3.10? 

2100586189_2021FreedomHeatPumpstoolkitV3.3forallinstallers-Copy.xlsx

4 hours ago, HughF said:

That seems a really low U value, compared to the entries that I have in my heat pump toolkit spreadsheet...? Attached for reference (look at the drop down values for window type on the heat loss calculator sheet)...

Are my 12yr old windows really as bad as the spreadsheet says, U value of 3.10? 

2100586189_2021FreedomHeatPumpstoolkitV3.3forallinstallers-Copy.xlsx 3.66 MB · 3 downloads

assuming they were to the spec of the time they’ll be somewhere between 1.8 and 2.2U

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Not sure how you are getting triple glazed at the same price as double glazed.

I went to get a quote on the back of this discussion and its about 50% more for triple glazed using their website

Sorry, you’re correct. It was website/browser (probably the latter) troubles not updating the price shown as I toggled the glass type.

11 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Not sure how you are getting triple glazed at the same price as double glazed.

I went to get a quote on the back of this discussion and its about 50% more for triple glazed using their website

Yeah its definitely not a free upgrade!

1 hour ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Yeah its definitely not a free upgrade!

in our research for windows we found that triple glazing was around 15% more expensive than double so if their prices are 50% more then I would suggest shopping around. sounds like they're taking those wanting triple glazing for a ride.

39 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

in our research for windows we found that triple glazing was around 15% more expensive than double so if their prices are 50% more then I would suggest shopping around. sounds like they're taking those wanting triple glazing for a ride.

23% uplift in cost with my supplier on a 3 pane window with 1 side and 1 top opener.

1318661907_Screenshotfrom2022-04-2213-10-11.png.79ce90dea14a370364693fe1fd5d638d.png

1539179630_Screenshotfrom2022-04-2213-09-51.png.dea395340ede66a47899b38fac8aeb8d.png

Triple glazed makes sense if one or both of the following are true:

1) They are deeper frames (at least 40mm preferably) than the usual 24-28mm double glazed

2) You need additional noise protection

There are 2G systems with a lower U-Value than some headline 3G offerings. 

I do think we're slowly getting to the point now though where by 2030, 3G will be expected by a big enough chunk of housebuyers that if you're replacing/buying windows now anyway and the uplift from 2G is <50%, it's probably a sensible investment almost regardless of the performance benefits.

• 2 weeks later...