Help me ter fix this please.....

Its been a bit windy recently. And the door to my water me ter (see what I did there?) has bust. I think it was ajar, and the wind just slammed it against the wall breaking the hinges.  Or rather breaking the hinge holders.

Look at this; the hooks which used to hold the stainless steel hinge have broken off.

20220217_103555.thumb.jpg.a573b2f9eaebcce5238279a56c654db9.jpg

This is how I'm bodging it ...

20220217_103623.thumb.jpg.7fb1a140f7a147f99b3769a2c3997f2d.jpg

The meter 'box' - the unit that held the hinge hooks - is embedded in the wall. The box is designed to expand or contract to suit the depth of the wall. The door is a separate unit that simply slots into the hooks which were on the box.

Replacing the meter box is too much of a job to contemplate. I've looked and looked on YT to try and find others who have this problem .... but ....

Anyone able to help?

This is not constructive help, but I find it sad to see that water meter boxes seem to have been designed down to the same low standard as electricity and gas meter boxes.  I would struggle to design a more pathetic, flimsy door hinge and catch mechanism if I tried.  It seems like they have designed it down to being a piece of rubbish as much as possible.

I would suggest you look at alternative, proper hinges that can be screwed or bolted to the existing box and door instead of just replacing the piece of rubbish you have with an equally rubbish replacement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had this on a rental property - the only solution we came up with was to sack off the door and fix a larger surface mounted door over the box. Seemed to work and looks like a proper box.  I'd send a link but we had someone do it for us.  But the new door surround is bevelled so the door stands off the surface a bit. I guess it's screwed through the new frame into the surrounding brickwork.

Simon

Well, I never................

I dropped the stylus that goes with my phone (on which I took the photos above). Retracing my steps to find the stylus (the phone warns you that the stylus isn't in its holder), I go back to the meter box where I'd used the phone last.

There on the floor was the stylus.

And the hinges ....

20220217_131203.thumb.jpg.9886ff10e330b8e7c8a898bd12aa386b.jpg

They'd been yanked out of their sockets by the force of the wind

20220217_131048.thumb.jpg.356d2761fa56d18421dac126df249a44.jpg

I feel some Araldite mixing  coming on . Maybe even some wire securing the hinge to the unit by threading it through hole in both - they appear to me to line up.

Sometimes you just get lucky eh?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ian

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 1

If those 2 holes line up, then a self tapping screw will secure the hinge. 

What I found irritating when i was looking for an (electricity) meter box, is they all seemed to be made to the same rubbish design with flimsy hinges and door catches.  It is as if someone has drawn up a "standard" that prohibits the use of substantial hinges and door catches.

2 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

They'll deffo snap the next time ?

that was my first thought, perhapsthey were designed to come out if the first scenario happened and weren't

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

made to the same rubbish design with flimsy hinges and door catches. 

?